Lord Meldorath.

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Re: Lord Meldorath.

Post by Krista Ash »

RobinBennet wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 10:59 I dont think Meldorath would ever team up with the people he was hunting for years... he doesn't want to completly destroy Voulhire like the Riva , so in my opinion he was wrongfully imprisoned. But people often tend to fear that which they do not understand. I still think he is probably a bad guy though, I guess we'll see now that he is out.
Or did Meldorath learn something about the Riva (or Voulhire) that made him regret which side he was fighting for? The end of Meldorath's military career felt a bit strange, especially when he retired and moved to Hillport instead of staying in Hillport. I do agree that his imprisonment without a trial was wrong. I don't think his imprisonment was wrong though since he did torture people to learn more about magic.
houligan19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houligan19.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by houligan19 »

Lord Meldorath seems to be incredibly powerful, almost to the point that some don't believe is possible.
He must have a weakness that allowed him to be captured, maybe he just got cocky and so the enemy got him?
Kate Park
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-park.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Kate Park »

It is very unlikely that Lord Meldorath was actually imprisoned in the sense that he had no power to leave his island where he was confined. Such a powerful mage would not let himself quietly be seized and put into custody and his death faked unless he had a plan that could only be realized under those circumstances. I believe that Lord Meldorath will become a very relevant character in the next books of the series as he will probably escape from his prison and wreak even more havoc on the land of Voulhire.
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

For the trick Meldorath pulled in the final chapter of the book, I think he his worth the prison time. His ability and power is dangerous to the peace of the Voulhire states.
ValeriaU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeriau.html
Latest Review: Alibi Island by SLMN

Post by ValeriaU »

I think Meldorath wasn't working with the Rival Rohavi, I think he was using them. I believe he's not the kind of person who's very good at teamwork, I think it's more likely that he is manipulating the Rival Rohavi so that he can complete his goals, and when they are no longer useful to him he'll dispose of them. I really hope we get more information on him in the other books.
“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
― Stephen King, Different Seasons
Latest Review: Alibi Island by SLMN
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

I usually have this affinity with God-like characters e.g Lord Meldorath. He might not directly have a hand in the attack on hillport but one of his subordinates might. I didn't see him do anything wrong prior to his imprisonment. I guess that changed him
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Bukola02
Currently Reading: Prince Player
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukola02.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Bukola02 »

scaryeyes_25 wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 20:59 I don't think anyone can truly imprison Meldorath. I believed he was just waiting for the right time to retaliate and make everyone know his true power and capabilities. As for being imprisoned wrongfully, I think we need to continue reading the series to know the true intentions of King Wilhelm and Meldorath. :D :D
I absolutely agree with you. I think Meldorath was just buying some time for himself. In my opinion I don’t really think he was guilty. I hope I’m right though. Hopefully the second book reveals it all.
Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Drado_27 »

I think that his powers are a big mystery and his influence is unknown to us. I got an impression that he willingly stayed in a prison and that he could escape whenever he desired.
JeanyJean
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanyjean.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by JeanyJean »

I think the imprisonment of Meldorath was unfair because he was not given the chance to undergo trial. I also think that Meldorath is marking time and waiting for most opportune time to break out of prison and strike.
Aisha_123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-123.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Aisha_123 »

Meldorath was performing forbidden practices. In as much as he and the King were friends, Wilhelm had to act fast so he woukd not look subjective. But at the same time, he underestimated Meldorath. The first thing that indicated that waa sending an incompetent man to rule over Hillport. I also believe Meldorath's actions will be explained in detail in thr next books.
Jojobiz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojobiz.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Jojobiz »

Yes. He deserves imprisonment, with or without trial, that guy was bad news all round. But I think he is just bidding his time waiting to unleash his powers.
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

scaryeyes_25 wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 20:59 I don't think anyone can truly imprison Meldorath. I believed he was just waiting for the right time to retaliate and make everyone know his true power and capabilities. As for being imprisoned wrongfully, I think we need to continue reading the series to know the true intentions of King Wilhelm and Meldorath. :D :D
I agree with you in that I also believe Meldorath wouldn’t do anything he doesn’t want to. The fact that they managed to imprison him was largely due to his choice. That being said, I’m interested to see how his end game will play out.
NisasPieces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisaspieces.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by NisasPieces »

Meldorath is obviously a strong villain and I want to say... He deserves all the hate he gets. He is an amazing character, maybe one of the best and most complex characters in the book. I loved reading his part of the story the most.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:

Post by Krista Ash »

houligan19 wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 15:41 Lord Meldorath seems to be incredibly powerful, almost to the point that some don't believe is possible.
He must have a weakness that allowed him to be captured, maybe he just got cocky and so the enemy got him?
From what I remember, Meldorath let himself be captured. When the soldiers came to take him away, he thought about making an example of them by destroying the soldiers and town but decided against it. Maybe he didn't want to show the king exactly what he was capable of?
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:

Post by Krista Ash »

Dayodiola wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 18:47 For the trick Meldorath pulled in the final chapter of the book, I think he his worth the prison time. His ability and power is dangerous to the peace of the Voulhire states.
I don't think it's right to imprison someone based on what they are capable of doing or might do, but I do agree that after seeing Meldorath destroy plenty of people in the final chapter he definitely deserves imprisonment now, even if he didn't before.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”