Lord Meldorath.

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: The Jewels Of The Rainbow by H.F. Snyder

Re: Lord Meldorath.

Post by TCG »

For me, when Rohavi attacked, my mind ran to Meldorath as being responsible since he was aiming at rulership and had some misunderstanding with King Wilhelm.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

Lord Meldorath seems like an enigma. I think he does have some role in the Riva Rohavi's attack on Hillport; it'd be too much of a coincidence if he didn't. Plus, it's kind of hinted at when he sent all those stone thingies to the castle. I'm not sure if he does deserve his punishment - the details surrounding his actions and imprisonment seem to be left intentionally vague so that we can't pick out the true villains just yet.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

TCG wrote: 26 Nov 2020, 17:58 For me, when Rohavi attacked, my mind ran to Meldorath as being responsible since he was aiming at rulership and had some misunderstanding with King Wilhelm.
Yeah, it's proved that Meldorath is responsible for the attack, perhaps from the very beginning when the Rohavi didn't even know of Hillport. I guess he chooses Hillport because it's a secluded coastal town. And since he ruled there before, he knows the people and how to control them. He is probably using it as his own secret lab, seeking his way to Caromentis without anyone knowing.
tafta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tafta.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by tafta »

Lord Meldorath is subtle and very calculating. I think his imprisonment by King Wilhelm is more attributed to his mysterious powers that people did not understand than a committed crime. I believe he voluntarily stayed in imprisonment to further develop his powers and emerge more invincible. He may have his faults but I definitelty like his style.
JinBin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jinbin.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by JinBin »

For starters, the book clearly states that Meldorath was betrayed by the person he trusted most, so I would definitely say that he was wrongfully imprisoned. That's always how it is when someone has more power than somebody else, the weaker one becomes unjustifiably distrustful.
Also, while Meldorath is the most powerful mage in the realm of Voulhire, I don't think it would have even been necessary for him to influence the Rohavi in any way because the Rohavi were already hell-bent on the destruction of Voulhire. Meldorath just wants revenge, plain and simple.
"The things in life worth living cannot be thought [with the mind]; they must be felt [with the heart]."
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

Lord Wilhelm was likely worried by Meldorath's control over the residents and impact over all of Voulhire, yet that doesn't legitimize Meldorath's faked demise and calm detainment.
aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

The more i think about it, the more i feel as if Lord Meldorath is mysterious and have a past which is interesting. Because even though he's done something evil, he did them for a purpose i guess. So I'm actually waiting to find out myself.
Smile, for better days are yet to come :D
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

I am terrified of Meldorath's magical abilities and he has mastered his mage talents. And I strongly believe with his level of mastery he was some how able to influence and even assist the Riva Rohavi attack Hillport and facilitate his escape. I think he deserved his imprisonment because experimenting with dark magic on people and child is just wrong. However, I do understand why he feels betrayed by the king who spied on him.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

In the first scene, I was a little wary of Meldorath. I was concerned that this was going to be a "hero does bad things but bad things are excused because they were for a good cause" tropes. I was pleasantly surprised when the questionable hero was questioned and found wanting.
I think it was right to imprison him as he was experimenting on human people. However, I don't really get why he wasn't killed. Maybe the King didn't think he was capable of killing Meldorath, but everyone who knew Meldorath was alive also knew he wasn't really imprisoned anymore than he wanted to be. So... what was the point? Now the powerful, evil sorcerer is just angry.
I definitely think he influenced the Riva Rohavi to attack.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

It's very confusing. I think he had the power to leave all along. He was just waiting for the right moment.
I don't think he is a bad guy, but I don't think he is a good guy either. He has a purpose and he wants to follow through.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

I think that Meldorath influenced the Riva Rohavi to attack Hillport. The letter that the Riva's received must have been sent by Meldorath. I think Meldorath deserved to be imprisoned because he brutally murdered the soldiers in Lord Orlin's castle.
Nicholus Schroeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholus-schroeder.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Nicholus Schroeder »

Meldorath is no doubt the strongest individual in Voulhire which is what kept the Riva from attacking Hillport, this is probably why the Riva were daring enough to attack Hillport, as they knew Meldorath was no longer there. As for his imprisonment I feel that it was not justified because he exposed the former lord of Hillport and saved countless children from abuse by their lord. He was more likely imprisoned because the king feared his power.
Moira15
Currently Reading: The Liar's Key
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moira15.html
Latest Review: Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw

Post by Moira15 »

Ellylion wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 09:06
Miriam Molina wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 21:51 Such a powerful mage could never have been imprisoned without his consent. But he must have a weakness, his kryptonite. Now what would that be?
Oh my, you got me thinking :D All I can say (considering all the books I've read) he still learns :) He has weak spots tho.

He's never content with himself, his abilities, or the world around him. Also, his friends and allies mean a lot to him.
I've just finished the second book, and one of the things I really loved in Meldorath's character is exactly what you described. He is amazingly powerful, but still not omniscient.
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Sarrikoziol »

This is an interesting question. The book implies he experimented on children. To what extent he did these acts, we do not know for sure. We also don't know what he did. We do know someone is manipulating the minds of Hillport. It is implied throughout Orlin's notes. We all assume it was Meldorath, but I have my doubts.

I am not sure where I stand on if he was wrongly imprisoned or not though. He did elude to King Wilhelm spreading falsities about his character. I also have my doubts on whether King Wilhelm actually spread the rumors.

I have my suspicions as to who I think is behind a lot of mishappenings in Voulhire.
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members
Joy C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-c.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Joy C »

The book seems to make Meldorath seem all evil. However, I feel like he might have been pushed to some extremes by his wrongful imprisonment and his actions are now all aimed at proving a point. Who knows? He might be the saviour of Voulhire
Begin always with the end in mind. :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”