Lord Meldorath.

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Re: Lord Meldorath.

Post by iammiape »

Larkspur wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 10:22 Everyone is made to believe that Meldorath is dead. But he has been imprisoned in a tower on an island. What did you think about Meldorath's power? Is there a possibility he could have influenced the Rival Rohavi to attack Hillport? Was he wrongfully imprisoned or did he deserve it?
Meldorath's ability was highlighted, and from what I had seen in his performance, I think he deserved the awe of the people in Voulhire. I don't trust that he was involved in the attack of Hillport, although I also couldn't ignore the possibility of it. Details behind his imprisonment was very limited so I can't tell if he deserved to be imprisoned, and the procedure of his imprisonment looked unfair to me.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I don't see how Meldorath could be innocent in the things he did. He even made and spread a virus across the town of Hillport through which he could enter any mind he wished. He didn't mind killing people to get whatever it is he wanted. I believe he's the one who tipped off the Riva Rohavi to attack Hillport. He deserved his imprisonment, but with how vast his power and how powerful his allies, I don't see how anyone could stop him. Unless someone with greater power (magic) comes into play.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I believe that Lord Meldorath is working with the Riva Rohavi. I think he was able to use his telekinetic powers to influence them to attack Hillport. He was waiting for the right moment to revolt to send a clear message of powerful defiance against King Wilhelm and anyone else who opposed him.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Grace McHardy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-mchardy.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by Grace McHardy »

I believe that he deserved exactly what he got. As a fellow human, I can understand the right to a trial, but this dude is a whole mage. He terrorized the people of Hillport and killed many of them without blinking. He experimented on kinds and left a big stain on the town. Even after his faked death he still haunted those poor people. I can understand the reason for not having a trial as those mages really be acting up in the courthouse. I wouldn't trust that.
Akshobhya B
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshobhya-b.html

Post by Akshobhya B »

Meldorath was experimenting with magic and he lied to the people about the original Mayor. A the beginning of the book he seemed like a righteous character, but he turned into an ambiguous one. I am not sure about him because he seems extremely shady.
Gabriella H
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriella H »

I was stunned by Meldorath's powers and the inability of anyone to counter him. After the introduction he received in the beginning, I don't think he was really imprisoned. It was quite clear that no one could force Meldorath to do anything, and they were all afraid of him. I believe he was just bidding his time and scheming.

I was surprised by the way he talked about king Wilhelm. It showed that he actually has emotions, given that he genuinely felt betrayed and thought they were friends. I feel there's more to that story of their friendship. As we weren't given the full picture and Wilhelm seemed to also be hiding things, I can't say if his imprisonment was justified. It seemed like Wilhelm was just trying to subdue him. I don't know if he was actually guilty of the things they accused him of.

Also, I am not sure how, but he might have played a part in the Riva Rohavi attack on Hillport.
Aashu Chaudhary
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aashu-chaudhary.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Aashu Chaudhary »

Of course, he is behind the attack on hillport. Remember when they were killing the captain on the island, they told him to send regards to lord Eldus. The companions of Meldorath can only know about the Eldus death, as they know the attack was going to happen on Hillport. Meldorath is definitely involved. I was hoping for him to be a good guy from the beginning. Really disappointed in his villain character.
Widade Assaly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-widade-assaly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Widade Assaly »

Since Meldorath was depicted as a very powerful magician, he may not have been imprisoned without his consent. I think he was preparing for the perfect time, and could have escaped sooner if he needed to. However, it seems that his escape was precipitated with the arrival of the new mage.
Gideon Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideon-olomofe.html
Latest Review: An autopsy with a smile by Snejana Danwell

Post by Gideon Olomofe »

As I can remember when I was reading, I was questioning myself also that why Meldorath in prison. But I resolved to believing that he wanted to hide himself for the rught time when he will carry out his plan. And I think the author purposely hide him to meaningfully express some parts of other characters' roles.
Shireen Ubaid
Favorite Book: Crescendo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shireen-ubaid.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Shireen Ubaid »

I think Lord Meldorath had become more powerful mage than anyone on the land of Voulhire and King Wilhem was actually afraid of him taking over the people, which made him imprison Lord Meldorath. I can't say that he was imprisoned just because of the King's fear. He had been doing certain magic to the kids at Hillport which made them hallucinate. I really want to read the other installments to find out the backstory of Lord Meldorath. I don't think he is completely evil.
Asja Šabani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asja-sabani.html

Post by Asja Šabani »

At the beginning, he is portrayed as the classic villain. I am curious how is his narrative arc going to develop. I suspect he had something to do with the attack on the Hillport.
Maria Ferreira Silva
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-ferreira-silva.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Maria Ferreira Silva »

I think we have yet a lot to find what about Lord Meldorath. He's a bigger character than we're lead to belive.
Mayang Bature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Hot Potato by Marty Katz

Post by Mayang Bature »

I still don't understand why Meldorath allowed himself to be imprisoned. With power like that, I don't think all mages in Voulhire would be a match for him. I'm interested in finding out about his grand plan.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

Larkspur wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 10:22 Everyone is made to believe that Meldorath is dead. But he has been imprisoned in a tower on an island. What did you think about Meldorath's power? Is there a possibility he could have influenced the Rival Rohavi to attack Hillport? Was he wrongfully imprisoned or did he deserve it?
Meldorath wasn't wrongly imprisoned, he deserves it and I believe he was behind the Rohavi attack on Hillport.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
MichelleYong
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelleyong.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by MichelleYong »

Meldorath's power is not demonstrated, at least not on the first book. For almost the whole kingdom to tremble just because his name is mentioned only goes to show how much power and influence he holds. I have not read the second book though, I am really curious how good of a antagonist he is.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”