Antagonist and Protagonist.

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Larkspur
Currently Reading: Gideon: The Sound and The Glory
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larkspur.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Antagonist and Protagonist.

Post by Larkspur »

Who did you think was the good guy in the book? I thought it was Galen for how good, kind, forgiving and generous he was. What about the bad guy? I would say the Rival Rohavi because Meldorath doesn't do anything worse than the Rival Rohavi due to his imprisonment. What are your views?
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Riva Rohavi are definitely horrible. Midius Maido is a bad guy in my opinion, because he turned once mighty Mianora into a useless bunch of self-confident idlers whilst Riva was on a rise. But nothing goes unpunished in Voulhire :)
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Again, bad guy/good guy is a very generalistic point of view. I can claim the Riva were the good guys because they wanted to see Voulhire in a new light (I hope you get the pun). Anyways, simplistically, Galen GOOD, Riva BAD!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Reader 05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-05.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Reader 05 »

rahilshajahan wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 09:31 Again, bad guy/good guy is a very generalistic point of view. I can claim the Riva were the good guys because they wanted to see Voulhire in a new light (I hope you get the pun). Anyways, simplistically, Galen GOOD, Riva BAD!

I agree, Galen is good and kind, however, Riva is bad because they did kill half of the Hillport citizens.
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by a_r_egerton »

Slaughtering half the people in a town definitely earned Riva Rohavi major bad guy status -- no matter how noble they believe their goals to be. I really wanted Lord Eldus to live and develop into a protagonist, but that didn't happen. Galen, so far, seems to be the protagonist. At the very least, he's a good POV character for introducing the reader to Voulhire. Every thime he learns something, the reader does as well.

Maido and Meldorath both seem like they could cause trouble down the line. Beth of Caromentis has apparently joined forces with Meldorath and could also develop into an antagonist.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Krista Ash »

Ellylion wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 09:21 Riva Rohavi are definitely horrible. Midius Maido is a bad guy in my opinion, because he turned once mighty Mianora into a useless bunch of self-confident idlers whilst Riva was on a rise. But nothing goes unpunished in Voulhire :)
That is definitely true. Maido had a hand in letting Riva destroy an entire town just so he could come ahead politically.
luchi123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchi123.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by luchi123 »

The good and honest prominent characters in the book for me are Galen and Lord Eldus. I would like to read more about Demetrius to draw conclusions about him.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:

Post by Krista Ash »

luchi123 wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 08:54 The good and honest prominent characters in the book for me are Galen and Lord Eldus. I would like to read more about Demetrius to draw conclusions about him.
You make a good point than many of the characters we've met in book 1 we don't really know well enough to draw conclusions about (other examples: Darius, Beth, maybe Rowan). I think that you're right that Galen and Eldus are the two 100% (or maybe 95%) good characters, though.
Kate Park
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-park.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Kate Park »

I believe that throughout the entire series, Galen will be the main protagonist. However, in this first book in the series, I thought that one might argue that Lord Eldus was the protagonist. He certainly showed up in the book much more than Galen did. As far as the antagonist, I believe that Lord Meldorath will become the main antagonist, but Riva Rohavi certainly was terrible as well.
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

Midius Maido is the biggest bad guy. He could have stopped the Riva Rohavi from destroying Hillport, yet he didn't. Riva wanted independence, although that doesn't justify killing the people of Hillport. Obviously, Galen and his friends were the good, good guys.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

In my opinion, Galen is the good guy in the book; he is a multilayered hero for sure. :wink:
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:

Post by Krista Ash »

Kate Park wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 20:51 I believe that throughout the entire series, Galen will be the main protagonist. However, in this first book in the series, I thought that one might argue that Lord Eldus was the protagonist. He certainly showed up in the book much more than Galen did. As far as the antagonist, I believe that Lord Meldorath will become the main antagonist, but Riva Rohavi certainly was terrible as well.
I agree. Book 1 really focused on Eldus's story and the rise and fall of Hillport. Galen was just in the book to introduce him as an important character in future books.
Yearly Joy Besoy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yearly-joy-besoy.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Yearly Joy Besoy »

In my perspective, Galen and his friends, and the King of Voulhire are the leading protagonists. The Riva Rohavi is the main antagonist. The Chancellor and Meldorath is in the scale between them.
blackjack1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackjack1.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Reading Device: duokan

Post by blackjack1 »

I spent a lot of the book sure that meldorath was the antagonist. I am not sure anymore (he fought the riva rohavi, and they seem more like the antagonist, so is he actually good?) I think that Galen is the protagonist.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:

Post by Krista Ash »

blackjack1 wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 05:20 I spent a lot of the book sure that meldorath was the antagonist. I am not sure anymore (he fought the riva rohavi, and they seem more like the antagonist, so is he actually good?) I think that Galen is the protagonist.
I would say Meldorath is an antagonist. Even though he did some good things, his more recent actions of using people to experiment with magic show that either his previous actions were just an outward show or that something has changed him from good to bad.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”