Are the "Bad Guys" Actually Bad?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Devika Rajesh
Favorite Book: Void
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-devika-rajesh.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B076HWYMJQ

Re: Are the "Bad Guys" Actually Bad?

Post by Devika Rajesh »

It's really a controversial topics. But I am reminded of a quote by Paulo coelho in one of his books, " Nothing in this world is entirely wrong. Even the stopped clock is right twice a day". So I think there is more to the antagonist that everyone should understand.
aimeepieterse
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimeepieterse.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by aimeepieterse »

I definitely got this feeling from how the story progresses, and it's an excellent question. I think I will my reservations about some of the "bad guys" though, just in case!
Neverlandgirl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neverlandgirl.html
Latest Review: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom! by Trish Ostroski

Post by Neverlandgirl »

Awesome question! It is all a matter of perspective. Bad guys could just be good guys who offended the wrong people with their beliefs. The heroes versus villains dilemma.
Jaidyn Taylor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaidyn-taylor.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Jaidyn Taylor »

It’s hard to make a definitive statement with this because we know so little. From simply reading the first book, without looking further into it, the “bad guys” definitely do seem bad. As in they oppose the goals of the protagonists. But I honestly don’t know if Meldorath is “evil”, maybe simply powerful and feared because of that power. We don’t know if Orlin actually abused children and the more I read, the more grew skeptical. I’m interested to find out more about these characters in later books.
aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

Very thoughtful question. I felt kind of the same after reading the book. Because the author is hiding something about the characters which I'm sure he will reveal in the next installments. I think Maido is evil and also Meldorath. The rest I'm not so sure. Lets find out in the next books.
Smile, for better days are yet to come :D
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

I understand what you mean but I think its all about perspective. To us, the readers, it all seems justifiable and to a certain extant it is. But, to the people of Voulhire they are villains. The Riva are definitely criminals, they stopped being victims a while ago when they started vandalizing properties and killing innocent people.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

I think the Riva Rohavi were mistreated. However, that in no way excuses the vandalism and killing they did in revenge.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
Cassie_Megan
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cassie-megan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Cassie_Megan »

I had this question in mind too! I love how the mystery grows and how nothing is sure, especially about the two villains. The first book is to set the scene, so I guess there will be more clues and answers to this question in the following books!
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Damian Keyes »

I was thinking the same thing because King Wilhelm seemed to dislike Meldorath for some unknown reason and wanted him out. On the flip side, Meldorath was doing some undercover magic that put the people of the village in harm's way. This is the first book in the series so I think it was the author's motive for the reader to question those who are in high positions.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

If you think about it, everybody has a purpose. The Riva do. Their purpose might not seem 'bad' to them. I don't think they are 'bad' guys, I just think that their purpose is harmful to others. Yes, they kill and hurt people, but they have motivation. To themselves, they aren't bad. To others, they are.
Even Meldoarth. I don't think he is a bad character per se. I just think that if things didn't go his way to achieve his purpose, it would be harmful to others.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

I think that the 'bad guys' in the book are actually villains. They may have been trying to achieve the greater good but they used the wrong means to achieve that. One thing that saddened me is the message that Meldorath conveyed to Lord Eldus. How would killing Lord Eldus help Meldorath to clear his name? I can't wait to read the next book. I hope that it answers this question.
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

Krista Ash wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 14:25 There is evidence that perhaps Lord Orlin did not actually abuse children. The Riva Rohavi have very righteous reasons for hating Voulhire. Meldorath was never given a proper trial before being imprisoned.

Do you think the antagonists of the story are actually villains? Or are they more honorable than the portrayed heroes: King Wilhelm, Chancellor Maido, and King Saint Idus?
I believe that if former King Idus had ordered humanitarian means in dealing about those who opposed him, the Riva Rohavi would've not been created and adamant to destroy Voulhire. But the sinful deeds of twenty people does not deserved the death of hundreds of innocent people. I can never sympathize to those who think that the actions of the Riva at present can be justified because of the horror of their past. They are downright villains to me.
Vanessa Leong
Currently Reading: Finish what you start
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessa-leong.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Vanessa Leong »

This is an interesting topic! I always love when authors show different sides to characters and that not all are merely "good" or "bad". I believe the characters have personal motivations that lead to conflicting opinions and actions. However, when the actions that the "villains" take in the book involve harming others, I'm not so sure if that can be deemed as honorable.
JH_Mayyy
Currently Reading: The Ultimate Guide For The Avid Indoorsman
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jh-mayyy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by JH_Mayyy »

Although I was sad and shocked when the Riva Rohavi invaded Hillport, I can't say that they are solely evil. They refused to surrender to King Saint Idus to protect their ways of life. They were not demons, but merely people who clung to their culture, and therefore remained the same and turned into "the enemy" all at the same time. Yes, they were brutal and aggressive, but considering their history, I'd say that their deeds are not only simply out of evilness.
As for Meldorath, though he killed and hurt lots of people, he was betrayed by King Wilhelm and never received a just trial. He has his scars, too.
However, I do not think either Riva Rohavi's or Meldorath's actions were righteous. Neither murdering innocent families nor experimenting on people is right. They have their backgrounds, but that does not give them the right to do such cruel things.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I do not trust King Wilhelm and Chancellor Maido. I don't think the main characters are as good as they appear to be. Even Galen has a dark past. I like that the characters have flaws.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”