Rowan and Beth

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Re: Rowan and Beth

Post by Sarrikoziol »

I think Galen and Beth are both refugees. While Beth did have curiosities as well, it clearly stated she had plotted her journey. She even had to kind of zig zag so she couldn't be followed easily. I think she was running from someone or something as well as fueling her curiosity.

On the other hand, Galen was found. He was coming as a refugees from the Land of Princes in order to inherit land and take over for his uncle. I am not so sure Galen is as naive as everyone seems to make him out to be. He did have to survive in the Land of Princes. I think Galen is humbled and grateful because of his past experiences. He is now in a place and at a stage where he can be a little generous with what he's been given.
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

AnnOgochukwu wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 11:16 Both Rowan and Beth are refugees who have escaped the chaos in their homeland and are curious about their new home, Voulhire. They are both naive and seem to simply follow the lead of the company they find themselves in. Curiously, both of them are in two different companies that can basically be categorized as 'good' and 'bad' respectively.
The similarities between this two characters are quite obvious and questionable. Do you think these similarities are merely a work of coincidence?
I agree that they are similar in being a newbie to Voulhire, their unwillingness to return to their former home, and their curiosity with Voulhire. But I have high trust that their similarities are just coincidence. However, I quite believe that they'll meet in the future.
Mahak Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahak-sharma.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Mahak Sharma »

Galen and Beth?? Yeah, they are somehow both different and alike. Both ran away from their motherland and took shelter in Voulhire. Both wanna know more about the kingdom. But the thing that made them different was where they landed. Galen came to know good friends and people while Beth landed straight into Meldorath. I'm kinda sure that Beth isn't bad and she's being used by Meldorath.
Asja Šabani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asja-sabani.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Asja Šabani »

I don't think this is a coincidence but I can't see how is the storyline of these two characters going to develop. Are they going to meet? Will they become friends? Enemies? Are they aware of their similarities? I will have to read the rest of the series to find these answers.
Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olomofe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Olomofe »

In my opinion, the presence and role of Beth and Rowan, from their different initial destination, in Voulhire has different feature to give the book. The author seems to use Beth's coming from Caromentis to include some paranormal situation and twist to the book. While Rowan's role seems to be a major role, as it connects directly with Galen's conflict and resolution
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Hot Potato by Marty Katz

Post by Mayang Bature »

I see the similarities too. Even though they have a lot of that, they are quite different too. I'd love to see what the author has planned for Beth
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

AnnOgochukwu wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 11:16 Both Rowan and Beth are refugees who have escaped the chaos in their homeland and are curious about their new home, Voulhire. They are both naive and seem to simply follow the lead of the company they find themselves in. Curiously, both of them are in two different companies that can basically be categorized as 'good' and 'bad' respectively.
The similarities between these two characters are quite obvious an questionable. Do you think these similarities are merely a work of coincidence?
I didn't notice any similarities between them till now after reading the comment in the comment sections. I must have missed out on these details while read in this novel, as my major focus was on the story of Galen and the city if Hillport. Beth was a minor character, I think that's why I didn't notice it.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Odindi Omo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odindi-omo.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Odindi Omo »

I think the author did this to create, like a balance in this book. Although I don't think Meldorath needs any help, being the evil he is.
LS Daniyal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ls-daniyal.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by LS Daniyal »

I think you meant Galen and Beth, because Rowan knows what's happening. I get what you meant, they are both being introduced into a foreign world, but through opposing sides. However, their circumstances are different. Galen a refugee and Beth a wanderer.
Today's me is better than yesterday's me.
Adekeye Hassan musab
Currently Reading: My Other Half
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adekeye-hassan-musab.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Adekeye Hassan musab »

I don't think these are coincidences as both character navigate Voulhire from different point of view to explain the book better. I even think romance is possible between both character in the future.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”