Rowan and Demetrius ~ should Galen trust them?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Mich Cyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mich-cyrus.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Re: Rowan and Demetrius ~ should Galen trust them?

Post by Mich Cyrus »

Alyssa wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 12:09 I felt it was a bit suspicious as well but as someone already noted, Galen doesn’t have anything for them. Despite Demetrius and Rowan not liking each other I enjoyed their characters and by the end found myself wanting it to work out for them all.
Rowan is simply helping Galen settle in Voulhire. Galen on the other hand has nothing to offer after receiving the help. Motives behind the hospitality of Demetrius and Rowan make the action-pack even more suspenseful.
Mich Cyrus
Currently Reading:

Post by Mich Cyrus »

Eutoc wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 02:12 Demetrius seems to be introverted so I can't tell if he's hidden things from Galen. But Rowan, that lad has a lot of things under his sleeves and he doesn't tell anyone. It's like he has some keen interest in Galen's forge business. I just don't trust him.
Demetrius, the monk, is simply hired by Galen to study some rock. He doesn't seem to have a hidden agenda. But as you said, he's an introvert so you may not know his next steps. Rowan on the other hand helped in the execution of Galen's uncle and is now helping Galen settle in Voulhire. Rowan definitely has an agenda.
Mich Cyrus
Currently Reading:

Post by Mich Cyrus »

Jojobiz wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 05:15 Galen shouldn't trust those two. Rowan is just too" suave" for my tastes. He has a solution for every Galen's needs. Almost like he anticipates his moves. I think he has an agenda, same for Demetrius
I agree. Rowan has a well-structured solution for Galen's problems, as though he has studied his moves.Galen should not trust him. It's as if he's interested in Galen's blacksmith fortune.
Mich Cyrus
Currently Reading:

Post by Mich Cyrus »

Galen comes from a war-torn land. He sets foot in Voulhire with the help of Rowan. Unlike his home in the Land of Princes, Voulhire seems to be promising. He is temporarily blinded by the massive success of his new home. I'd forgive him if he trusted the only person he knew; Rowan, in this new land.
Yasmira_M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmira-m.html
Latest Review: Days Passed by Mcentry Dunbar II

Post by Yasmira_M »

I think he should trust them until he finds reasons to distrust them. Galen is smarter than he gives himself credit for. He should trust his instincts.
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

Demetrius and Rowan were quite the suspicious characters but it would be too soon to judge.
NisasPieces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisaspieces.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by NisasPieces »

I think I'd advise Galen to trust them. They are good potential friends. The reason we want to feel weary is because of the amazing story telling. They both have back stories and character arcs.
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

I think that maybe they are hiding something but Galen has no real choice since he is a stranger come to this land and they are helping him for whatever reason
Reading gives us somewhere to go when we have to stay where we are
Kate Park
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-park.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Kate Park »

I believe that it was hard to accurately decide whether Rowan and Demetrius could be trusted by simply reading the first book. Even after reading the second book of the series, I am still undecided. Out of the two, I feel less inclined to trust Demetrius because it is oftentimes the characters that are associated with magic that cause trouble.
Personalanama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-personalanama.html

Post by Personalanama »

Galen shouldn't trust them. I amsure the two have their own agendas and Galen is blinded by gratefulness.
scaryeyes_25
Currently Reading: Glitter on the Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scaryeyes-25.html
Latest Review: Spoken on the Wind by Faye Westlake Newman

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

I think they both have something to hide. But secrets are not always bad. I also think those 3 balance each other. I find the immediate dislike Rowan and Demetrius have for each other to be beneficial to Galen.
Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Drado_27 »

The first book leaves this question open. Later on in the series, you will get to know them better, and therefore understand their role.
Prudence Emillian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerrypru.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Prudence Emillian »

Making such a decision from reading only the first book is a little bit rushed. However, based on what I have read so far from the first book, even though I think Rowan is a little bit shady, I think Galen should trust him since based on the conversation Rowan had with Demetrius, Rowan may have other motives but he seems to care a bit about Galen.
pablo10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pablo10.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by pablo10 »

I think they may have some hidden agenda, but they also seem very loyal to Galen. As far as both disliking each other, I think both of them sense that the other is hiding something. I like both of them. I think Galen should see how it goes in the future.
Jona00baka
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jona00baka.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jona00baka »

Galen's uncle trusted Rowan to find Galen. So in my view, if Rowan had a hidden agenda he would have done it after knowing that Galen's uncle has died. But he went on helping Rowan to inherit the property. Look at this situation critically without reading other books in the series, I can say Rowan can be trusted. Similarly, Demetrius can be trusted, all he is doing is working for Galen and I don't find any critical point where he shows untrustworthyness.
Nice argument :tiphat:

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”