Rowan and Demetrius ~ should Galen trust them?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
K+SQUARE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-square.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Re: Rowan and Demetrius ~ should Galen trust them?

Post by K+SQUARE »

I think he can trust both of them. Both Rowan and Demetrius both have something they are hiding, however, they both mean well towards Galen despite antagonizing each other every step of the way.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

I don't know if they both have nefarious motives because Demetrius seems okay to me. It does look a little suspicious how much Rowan did for Galen. I think the last chapter and the interaction between Demetrius and Rowan made me a tad bit hesitant about their characters' motives.
pianogirl07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pianogirl07.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by pianogirl07 »

I think that Galen has more reasons to trust Rowan than Demetrius. The former already made it clear that it was his duty since he was hired by Galen's uncle to see to it that Galen is settled nicely while the latter seems to be only bound by his curiousness to the item that Galen has. But if one pays attention to the conversation between Rowan and Demetrius, they both agreed that people like Galen should be protected because he is kind and it makes life easier for everybody.

So I guess he should trust them until they prove themselves undeserving of that trust. Galen is a survivor. He may be painted as seemingly innocent (or ignorant of the customs) but he has suffered hardships before he came to Voulhire. So he may be familiar with how people use each other. I can't really say since this is just the start.
salvo_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salvo.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by salvo_ »

Galen is strangely very naive and susceptible despite the world he comes from, and I'm quite certain he's going to be betrayed at some point. I just want to believe that by then Rowan and Demetrius will let go of thiwr ulterior motives.
Amber_joslyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber-joslyn.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Amber_joslyn »

valeriejane wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 16:12 I don't trust Rowan. I think he is a tad sneaky and hiding something. Furthermore, I think Demetrius is cut from the same cloth as Rowan and he also has a hidden agenda. They took an immediate dislike to each other because they are so much alike. Similar to it takes a thief to catch a thief.

Although I these two may have nefarious motives, and I enjoy the contention and I believe they add depth to the story.

Do I have this all wrong?
Should Galen trust Rowan or Demetrius?
I would like to know what you think?
~ Valerie
I definitely think that Rowan is up to something. I got the impression that Rowan was using Galen for his money. Rowan knew that Galen's uncle left him his estate and a hefty sum in the bank and repeatedly had Galen pay for things. Even though Rowan had money with him throughout their travels.
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valerie Garske »

I am sure there is more background to be shared as the series moved forward. However, I had to stop reading the series because of the violence toward women. I can't abide by books containing casual rape scenes.
MajestyBooky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-majestybooky.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by MajestyBooky »

I wouldn't trust them. They both conveniently have solutions that would solve every of Galen's problems. I am very suspicious of their motives and so should Galen.
MajestyBooky
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-majestybooky.html

Post by MajestyBooky »

I wouldn't trust them. They both conveniently have solutions that would solve every of Galen's problems. I am very suspicious of their motives and so should Galen.
reeves
Currently Reading: Interpreter Of Maladies
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reeves.html
Latest Review: Memory Thieves by Tayma Tameem
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by reeves »

I definitely think Rowan might be hiding some secret. The way he clings on to Galen and refuses to leave after he finishes his duties for Galen seems fishy. Demetrius could have his own agenda but it is unclear to me still and he might just be a dude that is keeping his head down and doing his work and doesn't want to get involved in others' affairs. Galen needs to trust his instincts but he seems kinds of naive and that might put him in a bit of a pickle later on down the line.
JinBin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jinbin.html
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by JinBin »

In my opinion, both Demetrius and Rowan are trustworthy enough, just in different ways. Demetrius had Galen's best interests at heart from the beginning and, while Rowan may not seem like a trustworthy character at first, he kind of grows on you and makes it hard to believe that he would have any sort of nefarious plot against Galen. I think Demetrius just dislikes Rowan because of his attitude and how he chooses to handle his business.
"The things in life worth living cannot be thought [with the mind]; they must be felt [with the heart]."
Migan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-migan.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Migan »

I believe Galen should be cautious with the two since they seem to have hidden agendas. They are also hiding their backstories from Galen.
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

There's some secret encompassing Demetrius so it normally makes you doubt him however he has some respectable qualities. Rowan appears to be an obscure individual however I think he is steadfast. Galen needs partners in another climate and they're the best fit for him.
Hilda Martinovic
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hilda-martinovic.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Hilda Martinovic »

Rowan is Galen's best friend and it seems that he only wants to help him at the beginning. Later on, it feels that Rowan might have secrets that Galen doesn't know about and he might be pursuing his own interest in creating this new sword. Demetrius appears to be neutral and he is an outside observer of Rowan and Galen's relationship.
Iva Stoyanova
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iva-stoyanova.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Iva Stoyanova »

I see why you have some concerns regarding Rowan and Demetrius. However, it is only the first book which serves as an introduction to the series. So, I think it's quite early to have negative thoughts of them. Anyway, Demetrius seems like a more trustworthy person than Rowan. But whatever their intentions are, Galen can trust his instincts and be a bit cautious.
"You can be more aware and more present simply by resting in the present moment, open to all that is, without trying to control it or grasp it with the mind. Truly, a marvelous way of being!"

Richard L. Haight
Neverlandgirl
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neverlandgirl.html
Latest Review: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom! by Trish Ostroski

Post by Neverlandgirl »

Just from reading this book, I would trust Rowan over Demetrius. Rowan has done some questionable things, but he has also stuck by Galen longer, and they've just met Demetrius. Demetrius seems like the better and more conscientious guy out of the two, but, that being said, Rowan seems to have Galen's best interests at heart for the most part.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”