Rowan and Demetrius ~ should Galen trust them?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Rowan and Demetrius ~ should Galen trust them?

Post by Valerie Garske »

I don't trust Rowan. I think he is a tad sneaky and hiding something. Furthermore, I think Demetrius is cut from the same cloth as Rowan and he also has a hidden agenda. They took an immediate dislike to each other because they are so much alike. Similar to it takes a thief to catch a thief.

Although I these two may have nefarious motives, and I enjoy the contention and I believe they add depth to the story.

Do I have this all wrong?
Should Galen trust Rowan or Demetrius?
I would like to know what you think?
~ Valerie
martinaunwagu
Favorite Book: 2612 Cherryhill Lane
Currently Reading: The Raven's Trail (Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martinaunwagu.html
Latest Review: The Cadence of Excellence by Matthew McDarby

Post by martinaunwagu »

I can see why you would think they couldn't be trusted. I am however of the opinion that making that judgement by reading just the first book in the series is hasty, as their characters were developing and finding expression.
Reader 05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-05.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Reader 05 »

:text-goodpost:

I think that Rowan shouldn't be trusted, the Mayor of the town seems to want Rowan to leave. I think that Galen should trust Demetrius more because he doesn't seem like he can do much harm to Galen, however, I do agree that Rowan and Demetrius seem to be hiding something.

I haven't read the whole series yet, I've only read the first book, so I may be wrong.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Reader 05 wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 21:50 :text-goodpost:

I think that Rowan shouldn't be trusted, the Mayor of the town seems to want Rowan to leave. I think that Galen should trust Demetrius more because he doesn't seem like he can do much harm to Galen, however, I do agree that Rowan and Demetrius seem to be hiding something.

I haven't read the whole series yet, I've only read the first book, so I may be wrong.
If you underestimate a monk with martial arts and magic training, you will be sorry :D. Just kidding. Personally, I think both Rowan and Demetrius have no reason to harm Galen. Rowan was asked by Galen's uncle to find him, and Demetrius was sought by Galen and Rowan because they needed an imbuer. Initially, none of those two purposely reached out for Galen. And since Galen is a war refugee, he hardly has anything to take advantage of aside from his uncle's fortune (but Rowan and Demetrius never ask for his money either.)
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valerie Garske »

Good points, I should have clarified that I have only read the first book. I have already started on the 2nd!
Alyssa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Alyssa »

I felt it was a bit suspicious as well but as someone already noted, Galen doesn’t have anything for them. Despite Demetrius and Rowan not liking each other I enjoyed their characters and by the end found myself wanting it to work out for them all.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Krista Ash »

Reader 05 wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 21:50 :text-goodpost:

The Mayor's mistrust of Rowan is explained by Rowan's improper treatment of the Mayor's daughter, so I think the Mayor is biased against Rowan. It does seem like both Rowan and Demetrius are hiding something since both want to stay with Galen.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I don't like Rowan even after the book 6, but Rowan literally saved Galen from a nightmare, he brought him to Voulhire from the horrible Land of Princes. That's why Galen trusts him. As far as I remember, Galen hires Demetrius to study a rock with magical powers, so that's why the monk stays with Galen.
MariaLivaniou
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading: Captive Prince
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinbennet.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by MariaLivaniou »

I absolutely adore Rowan and Demetrius. Rowan is definitely hiding something and probably so does Demetrius but I dont think it is something that's gonna hurt Galen necessarily. I think they are thrustworthy. The one I cant seem to trust at all is Galan... I just find it hard to believe that a refugee for a place that is described as hell on earth is an innocent and completly ignorant to the world man. I think he is the one we should be afraid of. You should never trust a survivor untill you learn what he he had to do to survive.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

Demetrius seems to be introverted so I can't tell if he's hidden things from Galen. But Rowan, that lad has a lot of things under his sleeves and he doesn't tell anyone. It's like he has some keen interest in Galen's forge business. I just don't trust him.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Jojobiz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojobiz.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Jojobiz »

Galen shouldn't trust those two. Rowan is just too" suave" for my tastes. He has a solution for every Galen's needs. Almost like he anticipates his moves. I think he has an agenda, same for Demetrius
Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

I'm of the opinion that Galen should trust them because from the series of Voulhire that've read so far, Rowen and Demetrius doesn't seem to have an agenda that might Galen but i think they both have a secret Galen doesn't know of. But Rowen is Galen's bestfriend.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.
Moray_001
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

So far, in the series they were great allies despite their obvious differences. There's some mystery surrounding Demetrius so it naturally makes you distrust him but he has some noble characteristics. Rowan seems like a shady fellow but I think he is loyal. Galen needs allies in a new environment and they're the best fit for him.
imet123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imet123.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by imet123 »

It could be true that Rowan and Demetrius have things hiding up their sleeves, it is however still quite early to be able to say for certain if they are to be trusted or not, but, personally, I will say they should be trusted as they are the only friends Galen has.
Mich Cyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mich-cyrus.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Mich Cyrus »

More to trusting Demetrius and Rowan, Galen should trust his instincts. However, It might be too early to predict their motives towards Galen.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”