Special Delivery

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White
fav_author_id: 1746

Re: Special Delivery

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Krista Ash wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 15:39
luchi123 wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 12:14 The stones are a missing piece of the puzzle, which I would like to find in the subsequent books. I think they would be worth a lot of money and would link Galen in some way to power.
It will be interesting to see what Galen will do with these stones, and what Demetrius will tell him about them. Perhaps Galen will end up forging a weapon out of the stones. I also wonder if the stones are the real reason why Demetrius is sticking around, or if Demetrius will become one of Galen's close friends.
I was also thinking that Galen might end up using the stones for blacksmithing purposes. There must be some significance to them. I suspect they have some sort of magical properties like the Philosopher's Stone. 💎
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

I also think that the delivery of stones had something to do with Meldorath’s plot, and I think they will become significant later on in the series. I also think they must have some magical qualities, and are similar to if not the same as those found by Galen and Rowan.
123Esther
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-123esther.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by 123Esther »

This left me curious , I hope their significance will be brought out clearly in the next books. From this book it played out really well that Meldorath know something about them.
" You only know that which you have experienced, the rest you are taught"
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Krista Ash »

Sou Hi wrote: 11 Oct 2020, 09:40
Krista Ash wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 16:05
Eutoc wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 02:09 I can't tell if those stones are the same with the one Galen has. Because they are always out of the picture when there's an attack. I used to think that anyone who wields those stones is automatically a target for attack by either Meldorath or Riva Rohiva
The stones are the same as Galen's stone. The mage Galen and Rowan met at the mining camp was the one who brought the delivery to Hillport. It is an interesting coincidence (at the very least) that Meldorath and the Riva attacked soon after the delivery was made. Perhaps Meldorath was waiting for the shipment?
Yes, you're right about the stones' origin, and I think that mage was Siden. It's all Meldorath's doings for his bigger plan. By the end of the book, Meldorath asked Beth, and she confirmed the rocks had some connection with Caromentis, meaning they held some special power for his needs. As for the attack, that's not a coincidence. Meldorath knew the Riva was coming. Most likely, the far watcher's message delivered to the Riva was from Meldorath. And right before the attack of the Riva, Meldorath said to Eldus 'I have to kill you'. This means Meldorath fashioned the onslaught from afar, borrowing the Riva's hands to indirectly conquer Hilport.
Those are some very good points. If I remember correctly, Siden could teleport (or something similar) when Meldorath broke out of his prison, so he could have gone to the mainland, delivered the message, and prepared the rocks without the guards knowing he was gone.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

These stones will be most important to save lives one day. Keep on noticing small details in this book and it will turn into an important storyline in further books.
Justjaal_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justjaal.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Justjaal_ »

I think those were the same stones Galen has, I don't know if Meldorath was the one who ordered the delivery, but I'm sure about them being an important piece of the saga. I don't know if it was my perception, but I think the man who delivered the rocks was the same man Galen and Rowan met when they were trying to buy the materials.
houligan19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houligan19.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by houligan19 »

I think that Meldorath is definitely involved with the stones. Maybe the stone that Galen has is what will bring Galen and Meldorath together. I doubt Eldus knows anything about them.
Prudence Emillian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerrypru.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Prudence Emillian »

I do think that the stones are significant. The fact that Lord Eldus had not ordered them is suspicious as well as the mage Galen and Rowan met who seemed to have been looking for the exact stones that Galen and Rowan found. This does make me think that perhaps the mage is one of Meldorath's men.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Krista Ash »

jerrypru wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 04:26 I do think that the stones are significant. The fact that Lord Eldus had not ordered them is suspicious as well as the mage Galen and Rowan met who seemed to have been looking for the exact stones that Galen and Rowan found. This does make me think that perhaps the mage is one of Meldorath's men.
I don't think the mage was one of Meldorath's men. If he was, the mage would have known that Meldorath was no longer Lord of Hillport, so he would have hidden it, rather than bringing it to the castle. But perhaps the stones were involved in the conquering of Hillport, although I doubt this since Meldorath doesn't seem to know what they are.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

I think those stones are going to play a very important role in Meldorath's future plans and it was definitely he who ordered them. I think they are the same stone that Galen and Rowan bought, and I am eager to see how they are used...
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
RavingReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravingreads.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by RavingReads »

At some points, it felt as though this book almost had too many details. However, I believe that the stones have to be important in the future. I am excited to read and find out what they are.
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

This part of the book was really where my interest started to peak. However, Eldus's blase reaction (and distraction) from how important and dangerous they might be made me want to scream. I also suspect they are the same stones Rowan and Galen have and there is a great significance in all of this in the future books.
sadwh0e_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sadwh0e.html
Latest Review: Awakening by Tayma Tameem

Post by sadwh0e_ »

I think the stones are important since it was mentioned a couple of times. I also think those are the same stones Galen and Rowan found and it was sent to Castle Hillport at Meldorath's orders.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

In this first book, the stones remain a mystery. I am sure that we will find more about them in the next books and that Galen, as a blacksmith, will be able to use the material to craft some magical weapons or items.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Krista Ash wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 11:30
Reader 05 wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 00:42
Miriam Molina wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 15:53 Lord Eldus was surprised to receive a delivery of stones before the attack on Hillport. What are your thoughts about those stones? Will they be significant? I presume those stones are the same as the stone that Galen and Rowan bought. I have a feeling it was Meldorath who ordered the delivery.
I agree, I also think that Meldorath ordered the delivery, perhaps it was part of his plan to distract Lord Eldus, or maybe it was for some other use.

:techie-studyinggray:
Meldorath probably ordered them while he was Lord of Hillport before he knew that Eldus would soon take his place. I don't think they were a distraction to Eldus, although perhaps they have properties that allowed Meldorath to "haunt" Eldus.
Yes, I think Meldorath must have ordered them while he was still Lord of Hillport. I don't think distracting Eldus was a motivation.
I think Meldorath needed them for his personal future plans.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”