King Wilhelm

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Aisha_123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-123.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

King Wilhelm

Post by Aisha_123 »

King Wilhelm seems like a good king. What are your general thoughts about the King? Do you think he might have a hidden agenda for Voulhire? What do you think about the situation with Lord Meldorath? Was he right to imprison him without a trial or he didn't want to be seen as biased due to their relationship? Lastly, what do you think of Voulhire under his rule?
luchi123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchi123.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by luchi123 »

King Wilhelm seemed like a good king to me too. He only had some bad people around him which he tried to discipline, like Meldorath. I do not know if he had a hidden agenda for Voulhire. However, even if he did, I can be sure that Meldorath would spoil his plans out of vengeance or selfish motives
MariaLivaniou
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading: Captive Prince
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinbennet.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by MariaLivaniou »

I think king Wilhelm has his plate full. I am not sure if he is a completely benevolent king he doesnt seem bad though. i think they all misjudged Meldorath they didnt give him the right to a trial instead they imprisoned him an dtold the world he was dead. He may seem like tha bad guy but we should keep in mind that the unknown always seems scary at first.
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by a_r_egerton »

Wilhelm seemed like a benevolent king. It was his idea to send Lord Eldus to Hillport to help the people there. Eldus had originally been a judge, and he did such a good job that Wilhelm gave him a lordship and territory. If we go by Eldus, Wilhelm also has a knack for choosing capable people.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Krista Ash »

luchi123 wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 09:01 King Wilhelm seemed like a good king to me too. He only had some bad people around him which he tried to discipline, like Meldorath. I do not know if he had a hidden agenda for Voulhire. However, even if he did, I can be sure that Meldorath would spoil his plans out of vengeance or selfish motives
I agree that Wilhelm's biggest problem is having to deal with the bad people around him. He also has to deal with Maido, who let Hillport get destroyed even when he knew about the attack in advance. It will be interesting to see how (or if) Wilhelm recovers from this blow.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Krista Ash »

RobinBennet wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 10:23 I think king Wilhelm has his plate full. I am not sure if he is a completely benevolent king he doesnt seem bad though. i think they all misjudged Meldorath they didnt give him the right to a trial instead they imprisoned him an dtold the world he was dead. He may seem like tha bad guy but we should keep in mind that the unknown always seems scary at first.
Wilhelm might know what Meldorath is capable of, though, even if we don't. I do agree that is was unfair for Meldorath to be imprisoned without a trial, but perhaps if there had been a trial, it would have been a catastrophe like the biomage's trial.
ValeriaU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeriau.html
Latest Review: Alibi Island by SLMN

Post by ValeriaU »

I think king Wilhelm is trying his best, he may not always make the right decisions but I think he really does love Voulhire, and he wants was best for it. I think that's why he didn't give Meldorath a trial, he was too protective of his country and was afraid of the damage Meldorath could cause.
“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
― Stephen King, Different Seasons
Latest Review: Alibi Island by SLMN
Higher25
Currently Reading: Daily Pulse: the rhythm of the Tao
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-higher25.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Higher25 »

King Wilhelm from my point of view was doing whatever was within his power to keep the country peaceful and progressive. However, it was those whom he has ordained to cater for certain positions that led to his downfall. Meldorath was a problem of a different calibre. Maido was selfish and most of the others just enjoyed th3 positions without working.
:D I believe in love
Loads Rails
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zinda-lukman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Loads Rails »

King Wilhelm is a good king, and wishes good for his people. This is why he imprisons Meldoreth because he is a big threat to his people. I think he is right to imprison him.
FaithMO19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmo19.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by FaithMO19 »

I think King Wilhelm is wise and strategic, he's a good King. Voulhire seems peaceful under his rule. I disagree with the fact that he didn't let the people know about the true nature of Lord Meldorath's situation.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

King Wilhelm has a big heart. He was soft on Meldorath, he could have eliminated him when he had the chance but memories of their tides couldn't let him. The only dishonesty I found in him was lying about the death of Meldorath.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

I totally like King Wilhelm's personality. He can't be compared to the horrible princes who control the lands of the princes. I believe his affair with Meldorath was a mistake, which is quite realistic. I love the way he relates with his subjects.
TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: The Jewels Of The Rainbow by H.F. Snyder

Post by TCG »

King Wilhelm was a good King. There was no difference between his legacy and his predecessor. He proved to be an icon of success for the citizens
Aisha_123
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-123.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Aisha_123 »

luchi123 wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 09:01 King Wilhelm seemed like a good king to me too. He only had some bad people around him which he tried to discipline, like Meldorath. I do not know if he had a hidden agenda for Voulhire. However, even if he did, I can be sure that Meldorath would spoil his plans out of vengeance or selfish motives
I don't believe it would be Meldorath that will spoil his plans but someone much more closer to him.
Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

King Wilhelm is a wise king who does everything within his power to cater for the Voulhirians, but i think he should have given a chance for trial because if he had Lord Meldorath wouldn't have seeked for vengeance. I don't think he has an hidden agenda for Voulhire.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”