King Wilhelm

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
The_Vivian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-vivian.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Re: King Wilhelm

Post by The_Vivian »

Personally, I think King Wilhelm is a good king with good intentions for the people of Voulhire. However, I think his actions towards Lord Meldorath was more personal and political than what it was painted out to be (for the good of the city). I also don't think that he has a hidden agenda for the people of Voulhire but I think that his reason behind lock Meldorath up without a trail was because Meldorath knew a lot about him.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

He seems to be a good king, but I believe that there's a dark side of him that he doesn't show publicly because only would explain his strange relationship with Meldorath.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Krista Ash »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 13 Oct 2020, 08:31 I would not be so quick to judge King Wilhelm as a good man. He is a good king, he is genuinely interested in helping the people, but I think he has some skeletons in the closet.
I think this is a good summary of many of the "good" characters in the series. It seems like everyone has some skeletons they're hiding, which makes the books so much more engaging.
Prudence Emillian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerrypru.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Prudence Emillian »

Hi Aisha, I agree with you that King Wilhelm seems like a good king. No, I don't think that he has any hidden agendas especially since his interest in the kingdom's success seems to be genuine because he sent Lord Eldus, a good man to be the Lord of Hillport, a town that has been through so much. It might be too early to decide if King Wilhelm's decision to imprison Lord Meldorath was just; however, what I do know is that whatever Lord Meldorath did made King Wilhelm feel betrayed especially since Lord Meldorath was his most trusted general. Voulhire does seem to be prospering under his rule, so I would have to say that indeed King Wilhelm is a man who's not after his selfish ambitions but that he truly cares for the kingdom.
_Bokeh
Favorite Book: The King of May
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bokeh.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by _Bokeh »

I think King Wilhelm is a good king and is right for Voulhire. I see him as wise and tempered, so I believe there had to be a reason why he imprisoned Meldorath without trial, probably something he found out but decided it was best that his people not be privy to.
Anusha Thatavarthi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

Aisha_123 wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 00:12 King Wilhelm seems like a good king. What are your general thoughts about the King? Do you think he might have a hidden agenda for Voulhire? What do you think about the situation with Lord Meldorath? Was he right to imprison him without a trial or he didn't want to be seen as biased due to their relationship? Lastly, what do you think of Voulhire under his rule?
King Wilhelm is a good ruler with a kind heart. He has a great vision for his country and plans to develop it. I think he loves Voulhire very much. I think he whole-heartedly believed that Meldorath has deserved the punishment. Otherwise, Wilhelm is no the kind of man that will punish an innocent. I like his character very much.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I think he is a good king who tried his level best to "appoint" appropriate leaders. He has just been unfortunate as "evil" people have targeted him.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Martina A J
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-a-j.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Martina A J »

I feel like King Wilhelm is either in the wrong universe or wrong time. He is wise and good, but I do not believe he can handle all the trouble that is now stirring in Voulhire
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

I think King Wilhelm is a wise and good ruler. He is doing his best wherever he can. As for how he handled Meldorath - I do not believe he did that correctly. Despite being a friend of Meldorath, he should have given him a trial and been honest with his people. They would respect him all the more for that in the end.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Stephmagero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Stephmagero »

King Wilhelm seems like a good king, however I question his motives and intentions for Voulhire. I feel like he could handle things more seriously than he does already. I think king Wilhelm based his decision on Lord Meldorath's wrong actions. I also think that he also did not want to seem biased as well.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

I enjoy the king's character, although I feel like I didn't get to know that much about him. I don't think he has a hidden agenda, but maybe a dark side. He handled the Meldorath situation like a true politician: he hid everything and lied.
Voulhire under his rule...I don't know, it doesn't seem like he has done much, and he doesn't even know why they're entering a golden age!
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

ValeriaU wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 19:16 I think king Wilhelm is trying his best, he may not always make the right decisions but I think he really does love Voulhire, and he wants was best for it. I think that's why he didn't give Meldorath a trial, he was too protective of his country and was afraid of the damage Meldorath could cause.
I agree. King Wilhelm is definitely trying his best and loves his country. Sometimes kings make mistakes and don't always make the right decisions. With regards to Meldorath, this was one of his mistakes. He should have given him a fair trial.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
RavingReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravingreads.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by RavingReads »

King Wilhelm is a good king who's main focus was his country. I didn't love him in the beginning of the book, but his character grew on me over the course of the novel. Throughout the story we were able to see more into his thoughts and why he did what he did.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

King Wilhelm was actually not a bad character as a king. I think he was good but maybe not to the extent where he does everything only for Voulhire's betterment. That's because, for the imprisonment of Lord Melodrath without any trial, he lied to the citizens so that they don't become afraid but to me, it seemed like an unwise decision as a king.
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordlessly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wordlessly »

King Wilhelm seems like a good man and a just king judging from the prosperity and flourishing nature of Voulhire. He has good intentions but there are few others who don't want what's best for Voulhire. I don't understand why Meldorath's imprisonment is even an issue. He is an evil man and he obviously deserves to be punished. Plain and simple.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”