King Wilhelm

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Re: King Wilhelm

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

I think it's up for debate. The clues littered throughout the book are telling us that there's more to the story than what meets the eyes. I'm not sure about the agenda part of it because he seems more weary than anything else. When it comes on to Meldorath, I think there was a lot of healthy fear mixed in with some jealousy in that friendship, and I still need to know what exactly Meldorath had done before rendering judgement in this scenario. Besides, what's anyone's definition of a 'good' king?
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

I like him so far. Although he does seem to be afraid of how fast his kingdom is developing, Wilhelm does seem to have good intentions for those that are underneath him. With how evil Meldorath is, I would have given him a harsher sentence besides imprisonment.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipochashe.html
Latest Review: Body in the Woods by Behcet Kaya

Post by Chipochashe »

Aisha_123 wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 00:12 King Wilhelm seems like a good king. What are your general thoughts about the King? Do you think he might have a hidden agenda for Voulhire? What do you think about the situation with Lord Meldorath? Was he right to imprison him without a trial or he didn't want to be seen as biased due to their relationship? Lastly, what do you think of Voulhire under his rule?
Generally, the king seems to be good but I sense that there's more to the story. Meldorath does seem to deserve his situation as he seems to be up to no good and has a tremendous amount of power to go with it. The story between him and the king seems to go further than the reader is allowed to see. Voulhire seems to be thriving but is also at the brink of chaos, the quiet before the storm.
:D Only God gives the strength to smile in the face of death.
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

King Wilhelm is overall a good king, he is dedicates to his people and their wellbeing and is generous too. It is this dedication that leads him to betray his friendship with Meldorath and inevitably Meldorath's imprisonment. I completely understand why he imprisoned Meldorath without a trial, he was trying to ensure the safety of as many people as possible. While I was reading the book I was a little confused as to why the king was lying to his people about Meldorath's imprisonment and his supposed suicide. I begun to understand the reason as the story progressed and I saw how dangerous he was and the fear the people had for him. Ignorance is bliss.
Sue_neth_ak
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sue-neth-ak.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sue_neth_ak »

RobinBennet wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 10:23 I think king Wilhelm has his plate full. I am not sure if he is a completely benevolent king he doesnt seem bad though. i think they all misjudged Meldorath they didnt give him the right to a trial instead they imprisoned him an dtold the world he was dead. He may seem like tha bad guy but we should keep in mind that the unknown always seems scary at first.
I agree with you. Initially I had been neutral about King Wilhelm's character. I had my doubts, but I eventually found him to be a very caring. Then again he might or might not have an agenda planned ahead. And yes, he could've handled Meldorath better. Yes, Meldorath still has potential to turn out better.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

I think Wilhelm did a terrible job of handling Meldorath. Considering what Meldorath did, he definitely deserved a death sentence. However, I think Wilhelm is good at heart.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

King Wilhelm is a good king. He strived to rule in a manner that will benefit the oppressed. He wanted the best for Voulhire. This is clearly seen through how he picks the lords of various towns in Voulhire.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

When it comes to politics nobody is a good guy. I don't think it's right for him to imprison Meldorath without a trial. But I think the King is afraid of something.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Sarrikoziol »

The book talks about Meldorath's relationship with King Wilhelm. They were good companions. The question is what changed and when? I think King Wilhelm chose to imprison Meldorath because of their relationship. Goven the nature of the charges, Meldorath might have been sentenced to death. He was a General, and a good one as told in the book. King Wilhelm seems to be a fairly good judge of character when it comes to the people he chooses to be around. We can't really hold it against him on the bad ones. You hear the way the dynamic is between him and Maido. It isn't pleasant. But as King, he has to tolerate quite a bit. I don't question his live of Voulhire as it seems genuine. I think he has become benevolent with his age as being King does weigh on a person after awhile.
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

Aisha_123 wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 00:12 King Wilhelm seems like a good king. What are your general thoughts about the King? Do you think he might have a hidden agenda for Voulhire? What do you think about the situation with Lord Meldorath? Was he right to imprison him without a trial or he didn't want to be seen as biased due to their relationship? Lastly, what do you think of Voulhire under his rule?
Wilhelm appeared very moral to design wicked plan for his kingdom, so I don't think he'll be an opponent of peace. I also sensed no hidden agenda from him. Nevertheless, I agree that the arrest of Meldorath was unfair, but I'm sure he have a reason although I'm unsure that it's enough for such an unfair treatment.
Mahak Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahak-sharma.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Mahak Sharma »

After knowing Wilhelm's character, so far I know that he isn't bad. He tries his best to serve and protect his country. He also imprisoned his friend without a second thought. But somehow he feels kinda sad or nostalgic. I think that being the king and protecting the country had taken a troll on his mind.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

King Wilhelm does seem like his heart is in the right place. He does seem to want the best for his kingdom. I think he is trying to live up to the standard of his predecessors and leave a memorable mark on his nation's history by ushering in a new Golden Age.

You brought up an interesting point about him not wanting to appear biased toward Meldorath by banishing him without a trial. Or maybe Wilhelm had other secrets to hide that Meldorath could have exposed.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

King Wilhelm wants what's best for his kingdom. He appointed Lord Eldus Lord of Hillport because he knew of his potential to bring prosperity to the small town. As for imprisoning Lord Meldorath without a trial, I understood, because Meldorath had painted himself a saviour after Lord Orlin and the people would have gone on a riot for his release.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
Grace McHardy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-mchardy.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by Grace McHardy »

I like King Wilhelm and believe that he is doing what he can to make Voulhire prosper. I would like to think that there are no hidden agendas behind his actions as he really wants Voulhire to thrive.
Michael kane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-kane.html
Latest Review: Containment Breach by Wm. A. Yandell

Post by Michael kane »

He is a wise king who only seeks what's best for his kingdom. However, he let his fears and insecurities about Meldorath control him hence the reason for his decisions. For me he has no ulterior motives towards Voulhire.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”