Will the princes make peace amongst themselves?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Prudence Emillian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerrypru.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Re: Will the princes make peace amongst themselves?

Post by Prudence Emillian »

I don't think that the Princes would reconcile. Their greed for power is great. As for their irresponsibility, they are definitely irresponsible and selfish. They care not about their villagers but care more about the power they want, thus the war goes on.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

I dont think the princes will make peace between themselves for a simple reason-the emperor of lullabies want them quarelling amongst themselves. As long as he is there, peace will not be possible.
Thoto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thoto.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Thoto »

I don't think they would be able to reconcile. The princes are being irresponsible with the resources they pour into keeping the wars going on. They eat and sleep but live their citizens suffering to keep their war running.
Anusha Thatavarthi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

Eutoc wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 01:38 The land of Princes is war-torn not because of the feud between the lands, but the gets between the princes. This means that the incessant wars in these lands would come to an end when the grief is no more between these brothers.
What are your thoughts about the princes? Do you think they would reconcile? Are they being immature by putting the lives of the villagers at stake?
I think the princes are too stupid and power hungry to stop the fight. The war is going on since Galen's childhood, and it showed no signs of stopping even when he sailed away. I think the war of the princes would not stop until the Emperor of the Lullabies destroy them to put an end to it.
Ify_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Return to Eternity by Jenni Barnett

Post by Ify_Reviewer »

I think ego is the primary reason why the Princes are at war and ego is a very difficult thing to put down. So it's unlikely that they will come to a place of absolute peace. The war might subside with outside interventions but absolute peace and rest are unlikely.
luchi123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchi123.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by luchi123 »

I do not think that the war among the princes will end soon. This is because the plot is not majorly about them. The author may later develop something from their land, though. However, I think it will be after he is done with Voulhire, which is the main setting of the book.
Fasmin
Favorite Book: We are voulhire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fasmin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fasmin »

They were good brothers who used to work together. And it was this that the king of lullabies feared. That they would work together to bring him down.
So I think all it would take is the realization that they're being tricked and can by no means beat each other.Perhaps then they would try to overthrow the king of lullabies and succeed. It sure would be fun to see the king of lullabies's plan backfire on him.

:tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
– John Green
123Esther
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-123esther.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by 123Esther »

Just like it is in normal circumstances, reconciliation isn't easy more so when the parties are full of themselves and contending for power. And therefore may apply to this book.
" You only know that which you have experienced, the rest you are taught"
Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: The Last Panda by L.Z. smith

Post by Fabulous mind »

This whole war issue was the Emperor of lullabies' plan all along. With that, I think the Princes are playing his game. So I doubt they would be able to reconcile.
JinBin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jinbin.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by JinBin »

The Emperor of Lullabies gave his sons control of the islands because he knew how selfish and greedy they were. He knew they would eventually declare war on each other to try and take control of each other's land. The only reason why he did this was that he suspected that, even though they didn't like each other, the brothers might join forces to overthrow him. Given this information, I think that if the princes would only realize that their father orchestrated the whole thing for his own gain, then they would put their feud aside to go after the emperor together. Otherwise, I don't think the war will end until only one prince remains.
"The things in life worth living cannot be thought [with the mind]; they must be felt [with the heart]."
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

I love that part of the book, for some reason, I think it was so original! I don't think they will ever make peace, it's likely going to turn into one of those wars that are fought for decades until no one knows why they're fighting anymore, and will be terminated by the next generation, who has nothing to do with it.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

I think the Emperor has groomed his sons to feud amongst themselves, probably even since they were young children. So, no, I don't think they will make peace. At least not easily. There may come a time that they need to work together, but it will be an uneasy alliance.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Victoria Baadom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-baadom.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Victoria Baadom »

Have you watched Game of Thrones? If yes, then tell me, do you think that power drunk people can ever sober up and reflect on the pain that their actions are causing?

Moreover, the quarrel between the brother is not just for land and power, it seems to be for recognition as the only one standing in their family. Until these brothers put their thirst for vanity aside and decide to work on their relationship, I doubt that the war on the Island of Princes will stop before they all die.
Rita Baadom
Currently Reading: The Freedom Building
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rita-baadom.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Rita Baadom »

I wish that they will but i highly doubt that. Power-hungry people don't just wake up and call a truce.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Krista Ash wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 17:36 I am a bit confused by the introduction. Being placed on island shouldn't affect the princes' ability to work together. Why wouldn't they just continue to plot against the emperor? I'm not sure if they can reconcile since I am unsure why the conflict began. I do believe that they are being immature, though, for endangering their people's lives.
I was also a bit confused by the introduction - but more in terms of its place in the story as a whole. As for the princes being placed on different islands, I think the conflict between them arose as each prince is vying for control of each of the other prince's islands. They are definitely being immature and showing complete disregard for human life.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”