Will the princes make peace amongst themselves?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
sadwh0e_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sadwh0e.html
Latest Review: Awakening by Tayma Tameem

Re: Will the princes make peace amongst themselves?

Post by sadwh0e_ »

I don't think the princes can make peace among themselves as their feud has been going on for a long time. And I do not think that they are being immature as their own father made them fight against each other for the throne.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

I think as long as the Emperor of Lullabies is in power, there is no chance of reconciliation among the brothers. It's hard to get a read on them, especially because we haven't yet met them and forming conjectures based on Galen's sparse descriptions is obviously gonna introduce bias. Any faction in power that puts their desires and conflicts over the lives and needs of their people are without question immensely selfish, so there's no debate there.
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

I think the Princes are blinded by greed, they are egotistical, arrogant and selfish. They shouldn't be worrying about their inheritance because either way they are going to be filthy rich. They should be worrying about their people and their well being. The money being used to finance the war should be financing education and the betterment of the economy. They should stand together as a family and rule of the people and prioritize the betterment of the people.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

From what I've read in the first book, I'm not really sure if they will reconcile. Especially with how much destruction they have caused without stopping still, it's unlikely that they'll suddenly all grow a conscience.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

The princes are quite self-centered and messed up (which makes sense considering that they have a father who decided the best solution was to make his sons fight each other). Unless it somehow serves their self-interest, I don't think the princes will ever reconcile.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
Veraok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veraok.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Veraok »

The only way I think the princes would make peace among themselves is when they put away their who's and pride and allow humility within them.
Uche B
Currently Reading: China rich girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-b.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Uche B »

The princes are definitely being immature and egotistical by constantly warring and causing so many to suffer.
I hardly think they will stop warring any time soon.
"Life is more than unpainted fences" - Nomnso Mordi.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I don't know... It's an interesting question. I wonder if we will know more about them later on? What role do they have? etc.
I think eventually there should be some sort of peace. I don't know how because they are full of pride. But it must be reached some day.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

Eutoc wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 01:38 The land of Princes is war-torn not because of the feud between the lands, but the gets between the princes. This means that the incessant wars in these lands would come to an end when the grief is no more between these brothers.
What are your thoughts about the princes? Do you think they would reconcile? Are they being immature by putting the lives of the villagers at stake?
The greed for authority is what induced the princes to go against one another's favor. The war in the Lands of the Princes is persisting for as long as twenty years. For me at least, the only situation that could halt the princes from targeting one another is when their father will interfere about this. Which is downright unlikely given that the Emperor himself intended for the war to happen.
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

I doubt they will and even if they did they would do it under false pretenses so as to find a backdoor into their enemy's territory to take control of it.
Mahak Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahak-sharma.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Mahak Sharma »

There are 2 ways in which the princes can stop the war. First is that if the king himself interferes in this matter. Or if the princes face a danger far greater than their own. Maybe, the comeback of Meldorath and political disturbances in Voulhire would change the circumstance in the Land of Princes also.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I don't think it possible for them to reconcile. They all want the same thing and only one of them can have it. Plus, greed doesn't just go away. Had the Emperor of Lullabies not interfered, they probably would have overthrown him, divided the empire amongst themselves, be at peace for a time and then end up fighting each other for the whole.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
photosynthesis19
Currently Reading: A Room of One's Own
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-photosynthesis19.html
Latest Review: The Middle Reaches (Episodes 1-8) by L. Andrew Cooper

Post by photosynthesis19 »

This is such an interesting question! I thought the Lands of the Princes were only part of Galen's backstory to make his arrival in Voulhire seem more significant. After all, Galen escaped from such a horrible place and is given the opportunity to build a new life in Voulhire. But your question suggests that the Lands of the Princes might have more than just a marginal role in later installments of the book series. In that case, I would hope that it is possible for the princes to make peace among themselves. It seems like they desperately need an objective, impartial mediator who can empathize with all of the princes and help them overcome the bitterness and stereotypes that have formed over the years. Maybe Galen himself will be the one to take on the role of a mediator...?
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

I don't feel like we know enough about any of the princes' personalities to know if it's possible or not, but I think it's quite likely that one of the later books in the series will deal with this
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

Their father put a drift among them too deep to be able to overcome. After a few decades when either the princes are dead or one overtakes the other, the war has no end in near sight.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”