Does the Emperor of Lullabies do it on purpose?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Claire Riddle
Favorite Book: Through a Glass Darkly
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-riddle.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Icon Does the Emperor of Lullabies do it on purpose?

Post by Claire Riddle »

When reading 'We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies' I was wondering if the Emperor of Lullabies did it on purpose: he is a powerful person with great magical powers. He must know that people of the Lands of the Princes flee away to other lands. Why doesn't he try to stop them when he could do it? :eusa-think: I think he let his people settle in the neighbouring countries because he's going to take those countries under his control, sooner or later. What are your thoughts on this?
Tayejim1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayejim1.html
Latest Review: Manning Up:(PoesyEssays Of Women's Interest) by Mr.Bigmann Grier

Post by Tayejim1 »

I wonder if he his strong enough to take over Voulhire. His citizens wouldn't run away if conditions were good. As it is, he doesn't care about the welfare of his subjects who are groaning under the maniacal rule of his sons.
Claire Riddle

Post by Claire Riddle »

Tayejim1 wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 13:54 I wonder if he his strong enough to take over Voulhire. His citizens wouldn't run away if conditions were good. As it is, he doesn't care about the welfare of his subjects who are groaning under the maniacal rule of his sons.
The Emperor of Lullabies is in fact, a cunning person. He led his sons to a war to keep his power to himself. It's true that he does not care about the situation of the people in the island. The thing is that he's focused on his authority. As I think, the reason is not the lack of strength. He's just waiting for the right time.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Krista Ash »

Perhaps the Emperor has a special concoction like Meldorath had. If I remember correctly, Meldorath unleased a virus of some sort in Hillport that let him see through people's eyes if they had the virus. If the Emperor has something similar that can be spread from person to person, letting immigrants leave the islands could increase his power.
Georgephilips
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgephilips.html
Latest Review: Finding Jehovah by Azrael Levi

Post by Georgephilips »

Emperor of lullabies the wicked wise king as the book clear states, he had done that on purpose. I don't even know why he had to separate his sons since he could have easily chosen one that's capable enough and not bring his sons to a civil war that saw the island war ravished.
GatugiM
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatugim.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by GatugiM »

I suppose he did that on purpose. The people from the Land of the Princes live in deplorable situations but they cannot leave. This might be his strategy to ensure he remains in power long after his sons are unable to settle their differences.
JeanyJean
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanyjean.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by JeanyJean »

I think the Emperor in his wisdom knows that sometimes there are repurcussions when one tries to get in the way of fate. Therefore he decides to let events unfold
Claire Riddle

Post by Claire Riddle »

Krista Ash wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 13:49 Perhaps the Emperor has a special concoction like Meldorath had. If I remember correctly, Meldorath unleased a virus of some sort in Hillport that let him see through people's eyes if they had the virus. If the Emperor has something similar that can be spread from person to person, letting immigrants leave the islands could increase his power.
Now that's a brilliant idea! I also think it is possible. If the emperor has such a method, it would be alright to let his people leave the country.
Claire Riddle

Post by Claire Riddle »

Georgephilips wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 21:44 Emperor of lullabies the wicked wise king as the book clear states, he had done that on purpose. I don't even know why he had to separate his sons since he could have easily chosen one that's capable enough and not bring his sons to a civil war that saw the island war ravished.
I don't think it would be easy to choose one as his heir since the others would question his selection. Besides, while the sons fight for just a small piece land compared to his kingdom, he could stay in power. He is indeed the wicked, wise king.
Claire Riddle

Post by Claire Riddle »

GatugiM wrote: 11 Oct 2020, 02:53 I suppose he did that on purpose. The people from the Land of the Princes live in deplorable situations but they cannot leave. This might be his strategy to ensure he remains in power long after his sons are unable to settle their differences.
I completely agree with you. The emperor is not just greedy for power, he's a master planner. And he's the root of this story isn't he?
houligan19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houligan19.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by houligan19 »

I completely believe that he did it on purpose. He feeds off his sons need for his power, while making it nearly impossible for any of the sons to it out.
He is a wicked man.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Claire Riddle wrote: 11 Oct 2020, 08:32
Georgephilips wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 21:44 Emperor of lullabies the wicked wise king as the book clear states, he had done that on purpose. I don't even know why he had to separate his sons since he could have easily chosen one that's capable enough and not bring his sons to a civil war that saw the island war ravished.
I don't think it would be easy to choose one as his heir since the others would question his selection. Besides, while the sons fight for just a small piece land compared to his kingdom, he could stay in power. He is indeed the wicked, wise king.
Nice observation. Still, that leads to another question: why did the Princes fight according to their father's will? They were working together, why did they suddenly turn their back on each other? If they overthrew their father, each of them would have 1/4 of the whole country. Now, they are stuck with their tiny lands and a never-ending war. Did the Emperor promise the winner the throne? But the war has been going on for 20 years, how come they still can't open their eyes?
Fasmin
Favorite Book: We are voulhire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fasmin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fasmin »

The reason the king of lullabies gave his sons those islands was so that they would rage wars with each other. And the geography of the islands was such that not one of them would win. So he's just giving a small bit of land to his sons to keep the rest for himself. That's all he cares about. That he gets to rule his kingdom for the rest of his life.

So he would not be concerned about the islands themselves and much less the people living there.

:tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
– John Green
Prudence Emillian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerrypru.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Prudence Emillian »

Hey Claire, I feel so too. The Emperor of Lullabies must be planning to take over the other countries where his people are fleeing to. Otherwise he would have tried to stop the people from the Land of the Princes from moving to other places.
Claire Riddle

Post by Claire Riddle »

Sou Hi wrote: 11 Oct 2020, 22:01
Claire Riddle wrote: 11 Oct 2020, 08:32
Nice observation. Still, that leads to another question: why did the Princes fight according to their father's will? They were working together, why did they suddenly turn their back on each other? If they overthrew their father, each of them would have 1/4 of the whole country. Now, they are stuck with their tiny lands and a never-ending war. Did the Emperor promise the winner the throne? But the war has been going on for 20 years, how come they still can't open their eyes?
If the emperor of lullabies didn't give each of them a piece of land, of course they will work together and take the kingdom. But they were given a place to show their powers. As I remember, according to the book, the geography and resources of each part of the island gave a few benefits to each of the princes over the others. If I were one of the princes, I'd definitely need to take the whole island under my control, considering the extra natural resources I would have access to. Moreover, if I'm able to defeat all the others and rule the whole island, wouldn't it be obvious that I'm the best to be my father's heir? Even after 20 years, still they are so desperate to prove themselves.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”