Galen's book

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Re: Galen's book

Post by _claudi_ »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 08:35
AnnOgochukwu wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 05:53 Yeah, about the book. I never gave it much thought. But I believe the book has got some magic to it. I doubt it has anything to do with Galen's magical powers.
But what power does it have? Maybe it reveals its secrets only to a person related by blood, and that's why Galen inherited it.
I wouldn't say it has some magic to it. It's a manual but maybe it is beyond instructions on how to be a blacksmith. It may hold some secrets :D
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

_claudi_ wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 09:22
raluca_mihaila wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 08:35
AnnOgochukwu wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 05:53 Yeah, about the book. I never gave it much thought. But I believe the book has got some magic to it. I doubt it has anything to do with Galen's magical powers.
But what power does it have? Maybe it reveals its secrets only to a person related by blood, and that's why Galen inherited it.
I wouldn't say it has some magic to it. It's a manual but maybe it is beyond instructions on how to be a blacksmith. It may hold some secrets :D
I am sure it holds some secrets! It must be more than just a blacksmith manual. I'm looking forward to find out more about it :)
GatugiM
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatugim.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by GatugiM »

I think the book has more to it than just instructions. It guides Galen to becoming a great blacksmith but I cannot stop thinking that there is more to it. However, I doubt if Galen is a mage or that the book is magical.
Erin M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-m.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Erin M »

It is interesting that the book seems to know what he's looking for whenever he opens it. And that implies that there is something other than coincidence at work here. Although I don't think Galen himself is a mage, it would be a good plot twist if his uncle turned out to be one.
Njokime
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njokime.html
Latest Review: Homo Technica by Stephan Collina

Post by Njokime »

I do not think the book is magical. I just think it is a very treasured gift of a very experienced black smith work, passed down to Galen. Galen also seem to have the talent in his genes.
houligan19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houligan19.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by houligan19 »

I do no believe that Galen is a mage, or that the book was magic. The uncle had written the book, just for Galen, and I believe that the book was special because of its history and family ties.
This could often seem magical.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

Galen's book is somehow similar to Meldorath's notebook. It can communicate with the reader. I wonder if the uncle has magical powers. His identity remains a mystery to me. I hope to find out at the next installations.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

I think the book is magical. Either this is how his uncle was such a good smith - he had access to a magical book that helped him - or his uncle imbued it with magical properties, or put a spell on it, so that smithing would not be so hard for Galen to learn. I must say I am intrigued to learn more about this book in the following books!
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Myshara Herbert-McMyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mysharal.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Myshara Herbert-McMyn »

I loved this brief little tidbit we were shown! I can't wait to see what the book actually is. :techie-studyinggray:

My first thought was that his uncle is a secret mage and that he has enchanted the book for him to speak through. Perhaps from whatever afterlife this world has? Perhaps his uncle is in the magical realm and speaking to him from there? Or maybe it's a case of his uncle getting stuck inside the book?

Whatever the book turns out to be, I think it will most definitely be magic. I was confused when it was introduced to Galen as the thing that would teach him to become a blacksmith. With magic, that makes a lot more sense.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

I think both are possible, given that we've seen magical books and that Galen is interested in learning magic. I do wish we knew more about his uncle, he seems quite the character!
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

It's been somewhat obvious at that Galen has some major role in how this series plays out almost from the beginning. I don't believe he's a secret mage, but he does have some type of connection to the magic world. That scene where the book/his uncle spoke to him heavily hints at that.
K+SQUARE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-square.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by K+SQUARE »

I believe the book has some magical elements in it and I think it is configured specifically to Galen.
kasfy_allama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasfy-allama.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Post by kasfy_allama »

I think the book has magic element. But I noticed it only when Galen doubt about Rowan who want to help him regarding blacksmith stuff then there was a writing that suggested Galen about Rowan’s good intention; just like his uncle could communicate with him through the book.
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipochashe.html
Latest Review: Body in the Woods by Behcet Kaya

Post by Chipochashe »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 13 Oct 2020, 08:20 Galen inherited such an interesting and intriguing book from his uncle! :techie-studyingbrown:
But is the book magical, or is Galen a secret mage?
And what does it say about his uncle? Who was he?
I'm still wondering who or what exactly his uncle was. He seems to not have been a normal smelter. The book seems to have the magical power and not Galen. So his uncle may have been a mage, possibly.
:D Only God gives the strength to smile in the face of death.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

I actually didn't think Galen was a mage or the book was magical when I was reading. I do remember Galen dropping the book because he saw it talking to him. The scene struck me as very similar to the one where Meldorath is talking to the lord of Hillport. In that case, Meldorath had the magic, not the book or the lord. I don't know who was talking to Galen though.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”