Riva's anonymous tip

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Riva's anonymous tip

Post by derialist »

Guys, who do you think was behind the anonymous tip that the Riva received regarding Hillport? I think Meldorath was behind it. Likely his way of getting Lord Eldus killed without getting his hands dirty.
Prudence Emillian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerrypru.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Prudence Emillian »

I agree with you. Based on the fresh writing that Lord Eldus found in the journal. I believe it was Lord Meldorath's way of getting rid of Lord Eldus so that he can take over the town.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

jerrypru wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 03:34 I agree with you. Based on the fresh writing that Lord Eldus found in the journal. I believe it was Lord Meldorath's way of getting rid of Lord Eldus so that he can take over the town.
Yup. It was Meldorath's workings that got Riva to Hilllport. And more than the desire to take over Hilllport, he wanted to escape his prison.
Live and let live, baby.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Truth and Evil
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

This was Lord Meldorath's way of removing obstacles to his escape his prison. Lord Eldus would never had released him.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Yes, most likely it's Meldorath. Since Hilport is close to his prison and far from the King's reach, it's a perfect place for his bigger plan. And in order to conquer it, he needs Lord Eldus to be out of the way. Borrowing the Riva's hand is the most efficient method. We can say it's killing two birds with one stone.
Lila Randhawa
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lila-randhawa.html
Latest Review: Conversing with Various Entities by Mary Ellen Wall

Post by Lila Randhawa »

derialist wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 00:53 Guys, who do you think was behind the anonymous tip that the Riva received regarding Hillport? I think Meldorath was behind it. Likely his way of getting Lord Eldus killed without getting his hands dirty.
I second your opinion. Lord Eldus, his wife, his daughter, and people who lodged with him were killed to make way for Meldorath. His machination brought him out of the prison without anyone knowing about it for a while, giving him enough time to plan his next move.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html

Post by Krista Ash »

I definitely agree that it was Meldorath, but I wouldn't say it's because he didn't want to get his hands dirty. He seems fine with hurting other people if it gets him closer to his goal. Perhaps he did it so that he could retake Hillport secretly?
Alyssa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Alyssa »

Krista Ash wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 15:19 I definitely agree that it was Meldorath, but I wouldn't say it's because he didn't want to get his hands dirty. He seems fine with hurting other people if it gets him closer to his goal. Perhaps he did it so that he could retake Hillport secretly?
Agree. At this point the people still think he’s dead and I figure he wants to stay under the radar before the king realizes he’s gone.
luchi123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchi123.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by luchi123 »

There is a possibility that Meldorath had a hand in it. Considering how he desperately desired to return to the Hillport throne, and how the Riva attack helped him to do just that.
houligan19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houligan19.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by houligan19 »

I believe it was Meldorath as well. He needed a distraction to escape, why not crush the town that you were just sent away from? Revenge and distraction.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html

Post by Krista Ash »

houligan19 wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 06:47 I believe it was Meldorath as well. He needed a distraction to escape, why not crush the town that you were just sent away from? Revenge and distraction.
I agree, but I don't think it was revenge against the town or townspeople since they didn't send him away. The destruction of the town was probably just a necessary event for Meldorath to disguise his escape.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

I think it was indeed Meldorath who tipped Riva regarding Hillport. He has his fingers in many pies and influences so far reaching that we can't fully comprehend just yet. It will be interesting to see what his future plans involve.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

I also think that Meldorath was the one behind that scheme. The parts where Lord Eldus felt like he was eerily being watched, the nightmares, the cryptic writings on the journals... clearly, Meldorath wanted him dead so that he could escape and take over Hillport.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

I also think Meldorath had something to do with it. The way how he had sent the stones to the house from way before and was already keeping an eye on them matches in with that theory. He also evidently doesn't mind bloodshed and probably just wanted to incite Wilhelm by using the Riva Rohavi.
pianogirl07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pianogirl07.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by pianogirl07 »

derialist wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 00:53 Guys, who do you think was behind the anonymous tip that the Riva received regarding Hillport? I think Meldorath was behind it. Likely his way of getting Lord Eldus killed without getting his hands dirty.
I think that the tip came for Meldorath but not because of not wanting to get his hands dirty per se. From what I understand in the book, Lord Eldus was just a pawn in the sort of grudge match between the King and Meldorath and that the Riva is a good distraction for him to escape his prison and "send a message". The Riva have their own objective but as the saying goes "The enemy of my enemy is my friend". So perhaps they have an alliance of some sort?

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”