Riva's anonymous tip

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: A Date with Justice
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Re: Riva's anonymous tip

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I agree that it is probably Meldorath, he obviously had ways of getting to people in the town through his magic. I think he could have got out whenever he wanted, he was just biding his time, and releasing that tip gave him the best opportunity to escape when Riva arrived.
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

I completely agree with you. In the book before the Riva Rohavi attacked Hillport and killed lord Eldus and his family, he communicated with Meldorath through the appearance of words on a page Eldus was reading. The exact words were "I understand your emotions, my lord. I can be a sentimental man myself. So you can imagine how I felt when your king made a monster out of me. Now it comes to pass that I must show his people that his judgment is not as pristine as he so delicately makes it appear. To do this, I have to kill you. And I am sorry you got caught up in the matter."
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

I also think Lord Meldorath sent the tip. It would have been very useful for him to "attack" a town already decimated by the Riva Rohavi.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

Meldorath was behind Riva's anonymous tip. This is because he returned to Hillport after Riva's attack and had told Eldus that he had to kill him (Eldus) to clear his name.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I think Meldorath gave the tip as well. I also agree with a few of the comments above regarding the Riva attack being a distraction. I am sure given the chance, Medorath wouldn't mind getting his hands dirty. However, he needed a smooth escape, where nobody knows he escaped.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Sarrikoziol »

It eludes to Meldorath of course especially as he just walks right to the castle upon his arrival. However, it could have been a coincidence too. People had been finding feathers along the coast. It could have been one of Riva's own spies. Meldorath said he was going to kill Lord Eldus yes. He could have been on his way to do so when they arrived at Hillport and saw the destruction. Beth did tell Meldorath Lord Eldus was dead.
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

derialist wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 00:53 Guys, who do you think was behind the anonymous tip that the Riva received regarding Hillport? I think Meldorath was behind it. Likely his way of getting Lord Eldus killed without getting his hands dirty.
I don't think so. Meldorath appeared, to me, to be the type of guy that doesn't involve other people to do something for him apart from his close companions—Siden and Mestitrio. Also, Meldorath was the reason why the Riva was nowhere to be found in their usual nests during his term as a general. So it was unlikely to me that he'll interact with the Riva. Meldorath said himself that he's uninterested in Cosmos.
Mahak Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahak-sharma.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Mahak Sharma »

Yeah, it's not hard to guess that Meldorath was behind all that happened in Hillport. Riva needed strength, and Meldorath needed freedom. So, they both took each other's help for different reasons.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Meldorath was behind it. Everything else that happened- Meldorath's attack on Captain Barcaedi and his men, and his moving back into Castle Hillport- that couldn't have been anything but planned.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

I feel like it's probably Meldorath, since his escape perfectly coincided with the Riva Rohavi attack, which would have been pretty coincidental if he hadn't been planning it all along
Gabriella H
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriella H »

Yes, I believe lord Meldorath had a hand in the anonymous tip. It was probably his plan to cause chaos while he got out and also to get rid of lord Eldus.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

derialist wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 00:53 Guys, who do you think was behind the anonymous tip that the Riva received regarding Hillport? I think Meldorath was behind it. Likely his way of getting Lord Eldus killed without getting his hands dirty.

I totally agree with you, I believe lord meldorath was behind the attack on hillport and he was the reason for the attack as well.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
LS Daniyal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ls-daniyal.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by LS Daniyal »

I think it was Meldorath. The massacre created a way for him to escape without anyone’ knowledge. Whoever had the most advantage from the event has a hand in it.
Today's me is better than yesterday's me.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”