What do you make of the book title?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Agbata Precious 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious-1.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Re: What do you make of the book title?

Post by Agbata Precious 1 »

Well, while reading I tried to find the connection. But at some point I realized that the title really portrays the context of the book.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Hot Potato by Marty Katz

Post by Mayang Bature »

Erin M wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 20:29 The title could refer to the fact that this is the first time Galen has stepped foot in Voulhire. He is a new arrival in what seems to him to be a magnificent, even awe-inspiring, country. Great skies might just be a metaphor for that over-arching feeling that Voulhire is a very successful place with limitless potential. At least that's my best guess. :D
Wow ..... I never thought of it that way. I would the title odd but now, I'm beginning to sense a bit of meaning to it
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

luchi123 wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 09:55 While I read the book, I kept trying to relate the plot with its title ' A New Arrival under Great Skies'. I assumed that the people of Voulhire were in existence before Galen's trip to the land, which was the beginning of the story. Why then do you think they called themselves a new arrival under great skies?
I believe it was called that name to enable the readers to focus their attention on Galen as he is the newcomer in the city of Vulture.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Mayang Bature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Hot Potato by Marty Katz

Post by Mayang Bature »

luchi123 wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 09:55 While I read the book, I kept trying to relate the plot with its title ' A New Arrival under Great Skies'. I assumed that the people of Voulhire were in existence before Galen's trip to the land, which was the beginning of the story. Why then do you think they called themselves a new arrival under great skies?
I think that the new arrival the author meant was Galen. Without reading the book, one can't really attach meaning to such a title
Avishi
Currently Reading: all body bags and no knickers
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishi.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Reading Device: Pdf

Post by Avishi »

I thought that the title refers to Galen's arrival with poetic touch.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
LS Daniyal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ls-daniyal.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by LS Daniyal »

We are Voulhire, I think this showcased a sense of pride of being Voulhirian. A new arrival is obviously Galen. Under great skies, Galen leaves his war torn country, anywhere is great sky for him.
Today's me is better than yesterday's me.
Adekeye Hassan musab
Currently Reading: My Other Half
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adekeye-hassan-musab.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Adekeye Hassan musab »

I think the title is referring to Galen as he is the new arrival in Voulhire which is being referred to as a great skies.
Amy A Drake
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-a-drake.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Amy A Drake »

I interpret it as similar to Notre Dame by Victor Hugo. Both are about nouns which outlive the lifespans and dramas of the people who interact with it. Voulhire and Notre Dame's legacy continues despite the demise of people. Both are about the kingdom/nation and cathedral respectively, but we are shown it through the eyes of the characters. The subject is almost immortal compared to humans, but humans have the power to preserve it's significance. This outlook explains the various points of view changes and characters. Voulhire is significant in all their personal melodramas.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”