What do you make of the book title?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: What do you make of the book title?

Post by SamaylaM »

The title is quite long honestly and in all of the books, the sub-titles only seem to give a clue on what might happen. But if we look at it meaning wise, 'new arrival' definitely indicates Galen's arrival to Voulhire. Personally, I feel 'under great skies' can indicate the fact that Galen has never ventured anywhere else and this is the author's way of showing Voulhire as this great place of potential for him!
naomilupton_98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomilupton-98.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by naomilupton_98 »

I do remember Galen commenting on the beautiful skies of Voulhire when he first arrived there. It could be a parallel to the great people and culture of Voulhirian society, since Galen is not only arriving in a new land, but is also arriving in a new culture amongst new people. The skies could also be a parallel to the possibilities and opportunities the Kingdom of Voulhire presents - vast and beautiful.
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

I also interpreted the 'new arrival' as Galen's appearance in the town...although, I suppose it also could be the new arrival of evil, returning.
Liz Alice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liz-alice.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Liz Alice »

'We are Voulhire' actually didn't make much sense to me until Galen saw it on a coin, I felt there was something missing. But now I think it mostly stands for unity. 'A New Arrival' is Galen's arrival at Voulhire and 'Great Skies' refers to the Voulhire's prosperity and limitless potential.
The book to read is not the one that thinks for you, but the one which makes you think.
Leroy2017
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leroy2017.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Leroy2017 »

The tittle seems appropriate, The first time Galen sets foot in Voulhire. But the following books will shade more light
jeetramjat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeetramjat.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by jeetramjat »

I think the title "A New Arrival Under Great Skies" refereres to Galen's arrival on Voulhire. His new life starts on Voulhire.
angelanikkicea
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelanikkicea.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by angelanikkicea »

I think it pertains to the arrival of the main character of Galen on the kingdom of Voulhire. It epitomizes his journey of arrival and discovering so much more about the kingdom and its people, and of himself.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

luchi123 wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 09:55 While I read the book, I kept trying to relate the plot with its title ' A New Arrival under Great Skies'. I assumed that the people of Voulhire were in existence before Galen's trip to the land, which was the beginning of the story. Why then do you think they called themselves a new arrival under great skies?
Concerning the title of the book, I think it was more about Galen than it was about Voulhire. To understand this, you can liken Galen to an immigrant and Voulhire to the US or Canada or some other country that promises a better life and fresh start. So 'a new arrival under great skies' was probably referring to the promise and potential of Galen arriving in Voulhire after escaping the dire circumstances of his home country.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

I agree to the previous comments that it was “a new arrival under great skies” because it is seen through the eyes of Galen, amazed of everything he sees the first time he stepped on Voulhire.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

luchi123 wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 09:55 While I read the book, I kept trying to relate the plot with its title ' A New Arrival under Great Skies'. I assumed that the people of Voulhire were in existence before Galen's trip to the land, which was the beginning of the story. Why then do you think they called themselves a new arrival under great skies?
I see that title as referring to Galen's arrival to Voulhire. A place of prosperity that it seems like great skies comparing to the 'cloudy skies' of the place he's coming from.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: The Jewels Of The Rainbow by H.F. Snyder

Post by TCG »

For me, I think the title of the book was solely referring to Galen. His arrival into the land of the princes gave the novel a different outlook.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

I believe it's in reference to Galen as the new arrival, whereas Great Skies in this case would refer to the kingdom of Voulhire. The title seems to match up with the main direction of the story and slots Galen in as the central protagonist, even with all the other characters getting their moment. I do think the title could maybe be worked on but it's not a major problem so I would leave it as it was.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

I honestly think the title was very fitting. It sounds very fantasy-esque, I love that. And I have to agree with the others that it mostly refers to Galen arriving on new land.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
reeves
Currently Reading: Interpreter Of Maladies
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reeves.html
Latest Review: Memory Thieves by Tayma Tameem
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by reeves »

Sou Hi wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 21:07 Interestingly enough, the land where Galen first arrived is called Magnum Caelum. Magnum can be translated as 'great', and Caelum can mean 'sky'. So, 'A New Arrival under Great Skies' may imply the town's name and, at the same time, signifies a brand new start for Galen.

Oh thanks for that input! I think that solidifies that the title simply alludes to Galen's arrival to the city. I guess the next question would be, why is the city named "Great Sky"?
JinBin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jinbin.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by JinBin »

I think A New Arrival Under Great Skies could possibly signify two arrivals. Most obvious is Galen Bray's arrival to Voulhire after escaping the Land of Princes, a very drastic change for him for the better. On another note, I believe it could also signify Eldus Alderman's arrival in Hillport with his family as the new lord.
"The things in life worth living cannot be thought [with the mind]; they must be felt [with the heart]."

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”