How Well Does The Cover Illustration Reflect The Story?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Re: How Well Does The Cover Illustration Reflect The Story?

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

The cover illustration matches in with the title of the book. When it comes on to how well these blend in with the actual plot, I can see where people might pause a bit. It's possible that this was just Tysz's way of putting the spotlight on Galen, especially with the inclusion of so many perspectives of other characters.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 22:11 Judging a book by the cover illustration is always a bright idea. However, cover illustrations are done to attract a certain demographics. These covers either push the readers towards or away from a book. Does the cover illustration of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies do justice to the book?

Personally, I think that cover does well in illustrating the story. It looks mysterious and shows Galen on a seemingly new land. I do think it could be better though... as all things do.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
salvo_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salvo.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by salvo_ »

The cover could be much more epic. The current one is 'nice' but doesn't fit the tone of the saga.
Sue_neth_ak
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sue-neth-ak.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sue_neth_ak »

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 22:11 Judging a book by the cover illustration is always a bright idea. However, cover illustrations are done to attract a certain demographics. These covers either push the readers towards or away from a book. Does the cover illustration of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies do justice to the book?
Personally the cover doesn't quite please me. It is aesthetic, but I feel like it is lacking something. I'm not quite sure what though.
athurst123
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athurst123.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by athurst123 »

I really loved the cover of the book. That is what drew my attention to it! The cover, in my opinion, shows the reader how the adventure begins; with a character adventuring into a new world.
reeves
Currently Reading: Interpreter Of Maladies
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reeves.html
Latest Review: Memory Thieves by Tayma Tameem
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by reeves »

I think the cover is illustrated nicely and depicts Galen's point of view exactly - a stranger's journey through a foreign, dark land. However, the cover does not depict any more than that and there are so many more characters with interesting elements of their own. For example, I would have liked to seen more depiction of magic on the cover since that plays a big role and signals to the audience the fantasy element whereas when I just glance at the book without reading the title it looks like a broody teenager trying to escape his little town or something.
JinBin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jinbin.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by JinBin »

The cover illustration definitely caught my eye at first glance, which is what a cover illustration is supposed to do. In my opinion, it promotes mystery and wonder, much like the sensation you would get from looking at a sky full of stars. It may not necessarily have anything to do with the book's plot, but there's no rule stating that the cover illustration has to.
However, if you really think about it, the cover could be depicting Galen Bray looking over the city of Magnum Caelum on the night he arrives. So all in all, I think the illustration is perfect.
"The things in life worth living cannot be thought [with the mind]; they must be felt [with the heart]."
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

Although I think the cover is pleasing, it is a little abstract. I don't think it reflects the story very well.
Spani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spani.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Spani »

I found the cover to be beautiful and gave me peaceful vibes... However, I didn't feel as if it communicated the essence of the book to the fullest.
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

As I would like to think the cover impeccably portrays that he is experiencing murkiness into an obscure world, yet there is consistently space for some expansion also.
Myshara Herbert-McMyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mysharal.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Myshara Herbert-McMyn »

This made me pay more attention to the cover and look for smaller details that I missed before. I believe that the title "A New Arrival Under Great Skies" matches the illustration on the cover. I don't think it does justice to the sheer amount of voices and settings that this novel takes place in, but it shows what I believe will come to be a very important moment: the arrival of Galen in Voulhire.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

The cover per se is beautiful. It also suits the title well. But I think it could have been much more thrilling and magical. The existing cover looks a little dull when compared to the actual story.
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

The book's cover is captivating and amazing. However, in relation to the book's plot, it is not appropriate and if I had the chance, it would be one of the things I would change about the book
SSiddiqui
Currently Reading: The Hero of Ages (Mistborn #3)
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssiddiqui.html
Latest Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem

Post by SSiddiqui »

I thought the cover really managed to capture the spirit of the book well. The depiction of Galen beneath a starry sky really made me feel the same sense of wonder Galen must have experienced at the beginning of the book. I would argue that this is more important than it perfectly capturing every element of the story.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

The main theme of the story, I would say, was Galen's awe and gratefulness of being in Voulhirre. I think the cover illustration really captured that feeling.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”