Best Lady

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Best Lady

Post by RHD »

Which was your favorite female character? Was it Charlotte Alderman, Lord Eldus' virtuous wife and mother of two, or even Beverly, the long-serving head servant? Could it have been Beth in Caromentis?
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

I think Charlotte Alderman was my favourite female character, simply for her strength and for how much she loved
and supported her husband. She was, however, only a small side character. So of those still alive, probably Beverly. We do not know enough of Beth just yet.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
RHD
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

Valkyrie9 wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 03:41 I think Charlotte Alderman was my favourite female character, simply for her strength and for how much she loved
and supported her husband. She was, however, only a small side character. So of those still alive, probably Beverly. We do not know enough of Beth just yet.
Lady Charlotte was surely a good example of what a mother and wife should be like. The ones who ended her story so quickly did us some injustice.
I bet Beverly's story has to go on. She's truly a must keep with the various lords.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

So far, it's Beth. Charlotte was kind of just served up as cannon fodder, and Beverly was only slightly interesting. Beth appears to have the answers that Meldorath, and we, need. I hope there's an introduction of more to choose from with the continuation of the series, but for now, I'll go with Beth.
GianKosi77
Favorite Author: M. Curtis McCoy
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giankosi77.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 197138

Post by GianKosi77 »

Beverly caught my attention. She is a peculiar servant who knows where to be at the right time. She reminds me the theory of "survival for the fittest."
And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness.
GianKosi77
Favorite Author: M. Curtis McCoy
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giankosi77.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 197138

Post by GianKosi77 »

Beverly caught my attention. She is a peculiar servant who knows where to be at the right time. She reminds me the theory of "survival for the fittest."
And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness.
pianogirl07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pianogirl07.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by pianogirl07 »

I prefer Beverly for the reason that she knows how to adapt to situations. She doesn't seem to take sides and it seems that her main reason so far is to survive whatever challenges that come her way. Beth seems like an interesting character but there's still so much that I don't quite understand about her. Maybe further down the series I would like her but I prefer characters with strong survival instinct. Beth seems to have that but it isn't quite explained properly yet.
Amber_joslyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber-joslyn.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Amber_joslyn »

Definitely Beverly. In the short amount of dialogue with Beverly, you can tell that she is a smart, powerful, and confident woman. I hope to see her character in more of the books. I think her character is more important. Especially regarding Lord Meldorath.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

If we consider book#1 alone, there's no female character I really fancy. Charlotte's presence is insignificant in the book. Beth's screen time is limited and not much of her is shown. Beverly may be smart and adaptive, but the fact that she alone always gets to survive doesn't sit well with me.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I can't say for sure who was my favorite, but Beth was definitely the most interesting one. The book did not tell much about her and the mystery surrounding this character is intriguing. I am quite sure we'll hear more about her later in the series.
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Lost Souls world
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lost-souls-world.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Lost Souls world »

I liked Charlotte Alderman character most among the small female characters. She was a strong character who always stood with her husband and take care of her children.
reeves
Currently Reading: Interpreter Of Maladies
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reeves.html
Latest Review: Memory Thieves by Tayma Tameem
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by reeves »

My favorite female character was probably Beverly. She seems like an extremely smart and observant side character that knows how to survive and play her cards right. She's still such a mystery so I would love to have a chapter written from her perspective. It's a shame that this book didn't have more prominent female characters though.
Gift5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gift5.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Gift5 »

my favorite is Charlotte Alderman for me, its her strength i liked and her supportiveness to her husband that i liked the most.
JinBin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jinbin.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by JinBin »

My favorite female character is definitely Beverly. She takes it upon herself to protect the reputation of Hillport castle, fiercely loyal to the very end and always adapting to the circumstances, no matter how difficult things get. Beverly is the definition of a strong female character.
"The things in life worth living cannot be thought [with the mind]; they must be felt [with the heart]."
Justjaal_
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justjaal.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Justjaal_ »

Beverly was the best female character so far. Her character and ability to adapt to any circumstances is what makes her the one with the best probabilities to survive. Even so, I really like Beth, I think she is a crucial character that will have her moment when the time comes.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”