What is Midius Maido's deal?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Wayne Njoroge
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Dark Web Murders
Currently Reading: Bloody Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wayne-njoroge.html
Latest Review: Because He Loved Us by Sharon Williams

What is Midius Maido's deal?

Post by Wayne Njoroge »

Midius Maido portrayed in the first installment is calculative and cynical. Though he is head of the council that qualifies successors to the throne of Voulhire. He has this untamed desire to have power and influence over everyone. This plays out in the book as we see his speech and actions directed at the king reveal his envy. I believe this is a result of how his father ruled before him. Though at a position of power, his father was subject to the king's bidding. Midius did not want that; he sought to turn the tables.
Fasmin
Favorite Book: We are voulhire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fasmin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fasmin »

I like your approach. I hadn't thought of Maido this way.

But, as much as I'm concerned, Maido is at least brushing the borderlines of evil. And the way he barely cares about the lives of the people or anyone at all except for his is just downright horrendous. I'll never forgive him for causing Eldus's death and then acting like he knew nothing about it and go so far as to make the king doubt the now late Eldus. How could he or rather how dare he?!

I hope you were expecting something along this line.
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
– John Green
nangel04
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nangel04.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by nangel04 »

Maido is just a plain embarrassment to humanity. He concerns himself with selfish pleasure at the expense of everyone else. Anyone who cannot see through his charismatic facade is not merely burying their head in the sand, but living underground. This may come in handy because anyone who trusts him will likely end up there anyway, only it will be inside of a coffin.
In the beginning was the Word...John 1:1

Reason and love keep little company together nowadays. ~Shakespeare; A Midsummer Night’s Dream
aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

I feel like Maido is trying to use King Wilhem's son, the Prince to try and get the throne for himself. I'm not sure. Will have to read rest of the series. I have a hunch that he's kinda villainous.
Smile, for better days are yet to come :D
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

I thought Maido was definitely selfish and even downright petty at times. I remember the King saying something to Maido about Maido having father-issues. I think his background and relationship with his father will be more fully explained in later books. I suspect that a lot of Maido's nastiness stems from whatever was between him and his father.
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

I do not like Midius Maido at all not one bit. His dislike for the king is unfounded and just petty. Towards the end of the book I was appalled by his bold claim that it was the king's fault Lord Eldus was killed and Meldorath escaped.
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

Maido is trying to make sure that the throne will be his by influencing Prince Darius negatively. He is jealous of King Wilhelm's success.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Maido honestly confused me when I first read about him. I don't think he is using anybody, but I do think he has ill-intentions. Or suspicious intentions.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

Maidos desire for power and control is bad enough, but his lack of empathy and horrid treatment of others takes him to a whole new level. I haven't finished the series yet, but I think he has his hands in everything.
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I honestly believe that Maido is the actual villain of the series. I was very suspicious of him when I first read about him. What I don't know is whether he wants to be the one sitting on the throne or he simply wants the kingdom of Voulhire to fall.
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Sarrikoziol »

Maid is an ill-mannered, envious bully. He wants power, but he doesn't want to have to necessarily do anything. He's bored in life, his position, and he's angry his family lost all that power. I truly thinks he just likes to see people squirm. He definitely has nefarious thoughts about Prince Darius, and his envy of King Wilhelm drips from him like poison.
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

Booksmart-56 wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 14:47 Midius Maido portrayed in the first installment is calculative and cynical. Though he is head of the council that qualifies successors to the throne of Voulhire. He has this untamed desire to have power and influence over everyone. This plays out in the book as we see his speech and actions directed at the king reveal his envy. I believe this is a result of how his father ruled before him. Though at a position of power, his father was subject to the king's bidding. Midius did not want that; he sought to turn the tables.
I too have high trust that he have adamant desire for the king's authority. His father may had greatly influenced him to have such kind of need. Or it was the society that molded him to want to overpower everyone and everything. Meanwhile, his low moral character, if none at all, may be natural. Nevertheless, I believe he will cause us heartaches. It did made me wonder if he have greater desire than the king's throne.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

Maido just seems entitled and thinks very highly of himself. Him having inappropriate conducts with his juniors is evident of that.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

To me, Midius came across as a manipulative narcissist. He was power-hungry and wanted to rule so badly. He used his power and position to extort others. I positively loathed this character, but I think that was Matthew Tysz's intention when writing about him.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
LS Daniyal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ls-daniyal.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by LS Daniyal »

I think Midius Maido is very selfish and is trying to get into the head of King Wilhelm’s son so he can have power for himself. Not only is he selfish, it seems he would do anything to attain power.
Today's me is better than yesterday's me.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”