The Emperor of Lullabies has been described as WISE AND WICKED. What must be thought behind such a description?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

The Emperor of Lullabies has been described as WISE AND WICKED. What must be thought behind such a description?

Post by The frant1c reader »

The book starts of with the narration of events leading to the tragic state of the 'Land of the Princes'. However, the Emperor of Lullabies was coined with two repulsive ideas as being both wise as well as wicked . What must been the thought behind chosing these particular words?
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Umm.. I guess it could be the fact that he knows what he wants and he is smart enough to get it, but he will achieve it in evil/wicked ways?
I am sure he knows that the princes will be fighting but he does it anyway, making him 'wicked'. Must be a reason as he is 'wise'
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Sarrikoziol »

He is smart and cunning. He has experience in his ruling. He may have a wicked streak. After all, he has not really stepped in with the war between his sons. Maybe he enjoys the conflict.
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

The frant1c reader wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 09:44 The book starts of with the narration of events leading to the tragic state of the 'Land of the Princes'. However, the Emperor of Lullabies was coined with two repulsive ideas as being both wise as well as wicked . What must been the thought behind chosing these particular words?
I don't think you can't be wise and wicked at the same time. He was wise because he was able to remove himself from the conspiracy of his four sons, and wicked because he instead diverted his sons to fight each other.
Mahak Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahak-sharma.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Mahak Sharma »

The king killed 2 birds with one stone. He knew about his son's conspiracy and used it against them. The princes, who were once joined against the king started fighting each other for land. In this way, the king saved himself from their plan and was also relieved that now he didn't need to choose his heir. This shows how wise he was. But, neither did he cared about his people in the isle nor his own sons. That showed how wicked he was.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

He did pit his sons against each other. He set them up so well- with small armies, and weapons, and the chains of islands he gave each of them gave them no real advantages over each other. He knew they would war and that the war will drag on. They left him alone. He didn't even spare a thought for the natives of those islands. That's wisdom and wickedness.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
Asja Šabani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asja-sabani.html

Post by Asja Šabani »

'Wisdom' and 'wickedness' seem to be opposing qualities, but I think they can go together. Wisdom is usually described as something positive and desirable. I think wisdom is only knowing how the world functions. It is knowledge of the world and life on a deeper level. It can be used for both 'good' and 'bad' purposes.
Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olomofe.html

Post by Olomofe »

I am sure that the rationale behind the emperor of lullabies being described as wicked and wise is because of his tactics he uses to have his ways. He knows what he want and what he wants is a wicked desire on the people of the Lands of the Princes. Hence, why he's described as noth wise and wicked.
maycherono91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maycherono91.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by maycherono91 »

Wise and wicked is too powerful a character combination for anyone to have. That is a ruler that will rule with an iron fist but have people eating from the palm of their hand.
kensgarment odogwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kensgarment-odogwu.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by kensgarment odogwu »

I think that's a figurative phrase. To Wise and Wicked both qualifies and tough and experienced ruler. Sometimes wisdom is required while sometimes one need to take very hard decisions.
Gandhi_D 1st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gandhi-d-1st.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Gandhi_D 1st »

Choosing the phrase "Wise and Wicked" shows his depth of understanding and caring for his evil deeds.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Hot Potato by Marty Katz

Post by Mayang Bature »

I think he's just a powerful man who's paranoid. He nips every hint of danger before it grows to something greater. That's smart
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

I think what this phrase simply means that he has experience in his rulership and he knows the way to get what he wants whether be it good or bad.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Omneya Shakeep
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

I think the Emperor of Lullabies was wise; because he understood his children and predicted their intentions to overthrow him. And was wicked; because he chose to direct their attention to fighting each other and creating war; to save himself and his crown, sacrificing innocent people in the process. Therefore, I think wise and wicked describe him perfectly.
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
LS Daniyal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ls-daniyal.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by LS Daniyal »

Wise in that he pit his sons that were conspiring against him against each other. Wicked because it's the people that will suffer in this war and he doesn't care, as long as he is on the throne, anything goes.
Today's me is better than yesterday's me.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”