The book

Use this forum to discuss the October 2020 Book of the month, "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.
Bantu chauke 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

The book

Post by Bantu chauke 1 »

This book, while initially holding promise, ultimately left me with mixed feelings. The potential was there, but alas, it failed to live up to expectations. The narrative suffered from a sense of disjointedness, with numerous subplots introduced but never seamlessly tied together, making it challenging to immerse oneself fully in the storyline. The slow pacing further compounded the issue, as not much seemed to happen throughout the book, making it a struggle to reach the end.

Speaking of the conclusion, it was shockingly abrupt, leaving me questioning if my Kindle version was somehow missing essential pages or even entire chapters. Though certain aspects were enjoyable, they weren't compelling enough to entice me to delve into the remaining books in the series. Interestingly, the book garnered many high-star reviews, suggesting that my experience might be subjective.

Credit where it's due, the writing was skillful, and the mystical world crafted by the author was intriguing. It's undeniable that the author possessed talent, yet the narrative never reached its full potential in my view. The story's confusion, stemming from multiple points of view and early info-dumping, made it difficult to connect with the characters, who, unfortunately, came across as unlikable.

I settled on a 3 out of 5 stars rating, finding it difficult to classify the book as either bad or good. It avoided a lower rating due to some redeeming qualities. However, it fell short of earning a 4-star rating because, from the outset, there was a lack of elements to captivate and draw readers into the narrative. Moreover, the absence of a well-developed plot until well into the book and a perpetual lack of clarity on the story's objective were substantial drawbacks.

A particular disappointment was the underdeveloped characters, seemingly placed haphazardly into the narrative, failing to contribute meaningfully to the overall plot. One notable instance involved the son of Eldus receiving an unclear and seemingly arbitrary element, possibly included solely to sustain the possibility of a sequel rather than contributing meaningfully to the story.

Adding to the dissatisfaction were noticeable spelling and grammar errors within the novel, a testament to the need for more meticulous editing. For instance, the sentence on page 130, "That would require an imbuer who is also be a bio mage," seemed grammatically incorrect, with the awkward phrase "who is also be." Another error on page 101, "That team relayed the message to Soulhire, where an old man sat in a chair high in Cathidien, receiving these massages," highlighted a misspelling with "massages" instead of "messages."

In conclusion, while the book had its merits, it failed to deliver a cohesive and engaging narrative. The author's evident writing skill and the intriguing mystical world weren't enough to overcome the pitfalls of a confusing plot, underdeveloped characters, and noticeable editorial oversights.

Return to “Discuss "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" By Matthew Tysz”