Discuss We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Is Folcro the Fulcrum?

Post by rahilshajahan »

In simple terms, Hans Hrelek aka Folcro is a sociopath. There is so many levels to this man. My question is his behavior towards Kayden justified? Is Folcro innately evil, so as to be the fulcrum to the story? Then, why did he try to save Kayden in the end? So many intriguing questions left with no answers! What do you guys think?
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
xsquare
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xsquare.html
Latest Review: Kitty and Kat - MiceQuest by Robert Beals III

Post by xsquare »

I personally think that he tried to save Kayden for personal reasons – somehow, he doesn't strike me as the type to do it out of the goodness of his heart. But who knows? Maybe it was a moment of sentimental weakness.

Also, I'm pretty curious about his magic abilities. He definitely has them, but how powerful is he really?
Bits Of Inkling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bits-of-inkling.html
Latest Review: Awakening by Tayma Tameem

Post by Bits Of Inkling »

Folcro love and trusted Kayden. Even if they parted ways, the things they shared won't be easily forgotten. Also, upon talking to Peter, he told Folcro that "you were all he ever wanted to talk about" and lots of things about how Kayden admired him. Perhaps, the words he heard from his rival changed his feelings towards Kayden.
Saketjha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saketjha.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Saketjha »

Folcro is twisted character for sure. He can't accept change so literally take helps from a demon. But I don't think his plan was leave them in the city, so they could destroy it. He just wants power, he saved kayden because he was his friend. He is not pure evil.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Like you said before, Folcro is involved in a square love with Kayden, so of course, he would try to save Kayden. I even suspect Folcro did that to Peter and Kayden's wife so that there is no one Kayden can turn to except him. I feel that Folcro resembles Demetrius very much, as they are possessive.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Folcro is definitely one of the bad guys, at least for now. Actually I can't picture him evolving into a decent person, or doing anything to save Voulhire. But he has a complicated relationship with Kayden, that includes love and hate. So he is capable of feeling something, and maybe his feelings will spark a change in him.
Chiawa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiawa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Chiawa »

I think Folcro is an unstable character. He is selfish, too self serving but seems to have a soft spot for Kayden, or maybe possessive of him.
MariaLivaniou
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading: Captive Prince
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinbennet.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by MariaLivaniou »

Simply put, a sociopath is someone who has an antisocial personality disorder. Those people can’t understand others’ feelings. They’ll often break rules or make impulsive decisions without feeling guilty for the harm they cause. They will probably use mind games to control people. They may also be perceived as charismatic or charming.

So, Folcro by definition is a sociopath, no questions asked!!!

He is a really interesting character, but his motives and desires aren't completely clear to me. I don't think anyone is innately evil, people aren't born monsters they are made. . .

His behavior towards Kayden is completely unjustified. You don't hurt the people you love, ergo he didn't love Kayden, even if he made an effort to save him in the end. It wasn't out of love, but his own selfish reasons.

If you ask me what Folcro liked about Kayden was that he had the unconditional love and unending admiration of someone. He had a dog constantly following him around, catering to his every need. Their relationship was very unbalanced and toxic. Folcro was feeding his ego of Kayden while Kayden was living the illusion he needed to survive his cruel reality.
plnjimenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plnjimenez.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by plnjimenez »

rahilshajahan wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 09:06 In simple terms, Hans Hrelek aka Folcro is a sociopath. There is so many levels to this man. My question is his behavior towards Kayden justified? Is Folcro innately evil, so as to be the fulcrum to the story? Then, why did he try to save Kayden in the end? So many intriguing questions left with no answers! What do you guys think?
What Folcro did to Kayden's family was pure evil. As to why he tried to save Kayden in the end, it could be a means to an end.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Sou Hi wrote: 13 Oct 2020, 07:23 Like you said before, Folcro is involved in a square love with Kayden, so of course, he would try to save Kayden. I even suspect Folcro did that to Peter and Kayden's wife so that there is no one Kayden can turn to except him. I feel that Folcro resembles Demetrius very much, as they are possessive.
It is noticeable that Demi and Folcro have very similar traits. They hold the people they care about very closely. But, I think in the last book, he just shows his true colors. I don't want to give any spoilers, but Folcro is not a very moral human being.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Fasmin
Favorite Book: We are voulhire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fasmin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fasmin »

I think Folcro meant to help him. Their friendship had really deep roots. And it was Kayden that broke up with him. We have proof that suggests Folcro was hurt by this parting of ways and might even have wanted to reestablish the friendship between them even after quite a long time.
whether he's evil is (like all the other ones in this topic) a pretty good question. He certainly doesn't value lives and seems to be like Meldorath in this case. But I think we need more info than what's provided in this book to say whether he's evil to the core or evil at all.

Kayden says in the book itself that folcro is not a very good mage. But his will power (or something :oops: ) makes him as dangerous as one. But then again he could have improved his powers after Kayden broke up with him. So I guess only time will tell for this question as well.

:tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
– John Green
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

Folcro's actions were plain evil. He's my most hated character. But I think love is a greater driving force than hate. And that maybe, just maybe, Kayden would change him.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Sou Hi wrote: 13 Oct 2020, 07:23 Like you said before, Folcro is involved in a square love with Kayden, so of course, he would try to save Kayden. I even suspect Folcro did that to Peter and Kayden's wife so that there is no one Kayden can turn to except him. I feel that Folcro resembles Demetrius very much, as they are possessive.
Yes! This.
Which still makes him a monster, albeit a sentiment monster.
I think it also shows that he's not innately evil, mostly just hurting and acting out- with catastrophic consequences, of course.

But, maybe that's just my non-cynic talking.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Wuoketch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wuoketch.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wuoketch »

I think Folcro was just possessed of Kayden. He is an evil character but helps Kayden.
tafta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tafta.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by tafta »

Folcro is a sociopath driven by obsessions. He is obsessed with power and he is obsessed with Kayden. As for his power obsession, he knew the potential of what he was holding and he did not tell anyone and I believe this began even before the separation of his friendship with Kayden. I think his saving of Kayden was more in line with holding on to an obssession like a possession than love.

Return to “Discuss We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko (Book 2 of 6)”