Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Icon Demon attack

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

What do you think about the demons?
Where do they come from and how is this related to Caromentis?
What is their big scale agenda, besides ruling Virko?
plnjimenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plnjimenez.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by plnjimenez »

I think the demons do come from Caromentis. From what I gather, it is not only Virko that they want to rule. Although, I am still wondering what could be the significance of their role.
sharon titus
Currently Reading: Her Eyes Underwater
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-titus.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by sharon titus »

I think the demons were somehow captivated in the undercroft of Rendenhide a long time ago waiting for their chance to breakout. I still think they are bound to Virko
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

If they are coming for Caromentis maybe there is a reason why they were locked there. But who put them there?
I agree with you, Virko is just the first step.
tejaswini123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tejaswini123.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by tejaswini123 »

Personally, I think the demons originate from Caromentis, because they not only have supernatural powers and unnatural strength, but can appear and disappear at their will, something we have heard in the book that beings from Caromentis are capable of doing, as they can bend different elements and use them as powers.

However, I do think that they were, for a long time, locked up or bound to Rendenhide, this may have something to do with Folcro/Hans. They may have been bound to Rendenhide before, but Hans (who is very powerful) could have started to control them and use them to kill his enemies. But once they get out of his control, which is what we see at the end of the book, they do not listen to anyone else. Yet, after the massacre of Virko at the end, they stay at Virko, they do not leave. Perhaps they are controlled by another force outside of the human world?

Other than destroying everything they come in contact with, because that is what they like to do, I think their main goal could be to overthrow the present rulers and rule mankind themselves, or to destroy all of mankind and have a place for themselves and their kind.
Lucille27
Favorite Book: The Haunting of the Hill House
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucille27.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Lucille27 »

At the ending of the book, there was a mention to the void. I think that this liminal space is where the demons come from. Maybe, because of their nature, they are searching for revenge. However, it seems to be something more underlying that desire. There seems to be a secret plan, which Folcro actioned, and that the demons are part of. I do not think they are subdued to Folcro completely, but I think their intentions are temporarily aligned. I also wonder how is this related to Meldorath and whether he and Folcro would fight or find a common goal.
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Lucille27 wrote: 17 Oct 2020, 16:34 At the ending of the book, there was a mention to the void. I think that this liminal space is where the demons come from. Maybe, because of their nature, they are searching for revenge. However, it seems to be something more underlying that desire. There seems to be a secret plan, which Folcro actioned, and that the demons are part of. I do not think they are subdued to Folcro completely, but I think their intentions are temporarily aligned. I also wonder how is this related to Meldorath and whether he and Folcro would fight or find a common goal.
Good point! I am sure that the demons were not Folcro's servents, not willingly. But role will they play in the big picture? Maybe they are just a tool of the Emperor of Lullabies, since he also controls Caromentis.
MariaLivaniou
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading: Captive Prince
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinbennet.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by MariaLivaniou »

The demons kinda came as a shock to me, I didn't expect this book to have demonic entities, I mean we already had so many threats to deal with, I thought we were gonna be preoccupied with them, but turns out I was wrong. I love it when I am wrong. When you can completly predict the plot of a book the writer hasn't done a pretty good job of it...

The demons gave this book an edge to complement the psychopathic behavior of Folcro. I am not sure where they come from though. So far we know that all magic comes from Caromentis, but I don't think that's it either. I remember the characters talking about the VOID (that's what they called hell if I am not mistaken), so maybe they came from there.

I don't think they had an agenda to begin with. The idea to rule Virko wasn't even theirs. The only thing they had in their mind at first was to kill.
Fasmin
Favorite Book: We are voulhire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fasmin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fasmin »

I think the demons in this series come from hell.

And I don't think they're bound to anyone or anything, not after the hollenblase was destroyed. And unlike what we usually think they're not as evil as we would think them to be. They are undoubtedly evil. But they seem to feed on people that are proud and arrogant, and fear death or something of that sort making them and their motives interesting and somewhat uncertain (for me at least). I think how they went after Rowan but not after Kayden and the offers offered by Lord Dragan point toward this.
As much as I'm concerned these demons and their motives seem to be a tad unclear. If Lord Dragan hadn't given them the idea of ruling over Virko they would probably have attacked other cities and towns until someone put a stop to it. But whether they'll get hungry for more power we'll have to find out.

:tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
– John Green
kparikh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kparikh.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by kparikh »

plnjimenez wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 21:17 I think the demons do come from Caromentis. From what I gather, it is not only Virko that they want to rule. Although, I am still wondering what could be the significance of their role.
I agree! The significance of the demons is still "at large" for me, but I think that they were a good and interesting addition to the book.
Alyssa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Alyssa »

The demons came as a surprise to me as well and I still don’t know how they tie into the end yet. To me they didn’t seem to want to rule Virko in the beginning just to take their pleasure from it while they went through the rest of Voulhire. So curious about their end result.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Krista Ash »

RobinBennet wrote: 20 Oct 2020, 15:08 I don't think they had an agenda to begin with. The idea to rule Virko wasn't even theirs. The only thing they had in their mind at first was to kill.
I think their objective is to avoid going back to the Void, where they originally came from. By ruling Virko through people, they can stay hidden and not get attacked by monks who would banish them.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

plnjimenez wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 21:17 I think the demons do come from Caromentis. From what I gather, it is not only Virko that they want to rule. Although, I am still wondering what could be the significance of their role.
I agree. Wonder what they signify. However, they're an interesting addition, and the description of the scenes where they wreaked havoc, so colourful.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Bits Of Inkling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bits-of-inkling.html
Latest Review: Awakening by Tayma Tameem

Post by Bits Of Inkling »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 08:25 What do you think about the demons?
Where do they come from and how is this related to Caromentis?
What is their big scale agenda, besides ruling Virko?
Well the demon is really scary and sly. I don't think these creatures have something to do with Caromentis as they are a different world.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Alyssa wrote: 22 Oct 2020, 13:30 The demons came as a surprise to me as well and I still don’t know how they tie into the end yet. To me they didn’t seem to want to rule Virko in the beginning just to take their pleasure from it while they went through the rest of Voulhire. So curious about their end result.
I share the same sentiments. I got the feeling that they want to penetrate Voulhire in its entirety and sow confusion and wreak havoc. I'd like to see where they end up and why.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

Return to “Discuss We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko (Book 2 of 6)”