Fasmin
Favorite Book: We are voulhire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fasmin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Destinism

Post by Fasmin »

What do you think about Destinism? Do you think it's the author's way of telling us some of his ideologies or something; Like in this quote from the book by the Eiodi :
"Let no man ever tell you that you must have only science. Or only magic. Or only faith. For that man might be the devil himself "

Or do you think it has a greater scope? Do you think we may get Destinians in the future?

Personally, I find it as something to get philosophies and the like from. I quite like the ideas put forward by this fictional religion.
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
– John Green
Fasmin
Currently Reading:

Post by Fasmin »

Fasmin wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 12:23 What do you think about Destinism? Do you think it's the author's way of telling us some of his ideologies or something; Like in this quote from the book by the Eiodi :
"Let no man ever tell you that you must have only science. Or only magic. Or only faith. For that man might be the devil himself "

Or do you think it has a greater scope? Do you think we may get Destinians in the future?

Personally, I find it as something to get philosophies and the like from. I quite like the ideas put forward by this fictional religion.
Sorry guys. I just realised that we can't get destinians. Because this book unlike the HP or PJ series doesn't pretend to exist. It's pretty clear that voulhire doesn't exist, making it clear that magic, caromentis, and everything else in this book (except for the messages and lessons it conveys) is a doesn't figment of the author's imagination. :oops:
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
– John Green
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Quite right! but it is fun to think about isn't it?

Besides, even though it is clearly fictional, the author still tells us some of his ideologies in a way, or at least his thoughts. I don't think it is possible to write and not put a bit if yourself in the book.

But, what do I know? Lol.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by WardahEbrahim »

Hmmm. Good question. I think authors, or any creative is not obligated to explain his or her work and as such impose it on the reader or receiver. But concepts like this is for exactly this type of debate. So when we read, we relate to different concepts as a result of how our lives has unfolded. So if destinism resonates with you, that's a part of your individuality. and if it doesn't then that's also a part of your individuality. But I do agree with that quote though.
kasfy_allama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasfy-allama.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Post by kasfy_allama »

What I understand about Destinism is a belief that God already determined each person’s destiny. But in the process to the destiny, human have liberty. They could do what they want, they could try what they want to be, but in the end, they are still a part of God’s plan. They will be what God had planned to them. Honestly, I agree that God has plan for human, but based on my belief, God will change your condition (to a better one) if you put some efforts.
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Alice Ngugi »

Quite thought-provoking indeed. In terms of destinism, I do believe in it. There's almost a way that you can tell a person's end by the way they are living. This such ideas as 'destined for greatness' come into play. We do have a say, or rather, a way to influence our destinies. Again, since this book is clearly fictional, I think the author was simply trying to lay down the way he sees the world from his own lenses. And it's true, it's the way we provoke philosophy, by laying our ideas for such debates as these.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

I strongly feel that the author somehow projects his ideologies through his books. There's a strong feeling I get behind the books. However, this is fictional, but I believe in destinism. I've see it manifest.
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

I think I like the idea of following your destiny and believing whole-heartedly you following your destiny. I don't think this will ever be a religion in our world because we are too hands-on in making our futures a certain way without even considering what our destiny was supposed to be in the first place.
Fasmin
Currently Reading:

Post by Fasmin »

Ndiviwe wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 01:13 I think I like the idea of following your destiny and believing whole-heartedly you following your destiny. I don't think this will ever be a religion in our world because we are too hands-on in making our futures a certain way without even considering what our destiny was supposed to be in the first place.
I don't think "destiny" as in your fate is preplanned is real though. Finding your talents and following them is real and necessary for a happy life. But " our fates have already been decided", I don't think so.

I actually think we do decide our destiny ourselves. We are the ones that land ourselves in hardship or prosperity whether knowingly or not.

But I guess this is a debatable topic.
– John Green
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

I think Destinism is depicted in the book through Meldorath. In my opinion, Meldorath has a plan for everyone. He already knew what would happen to Eiodi before it did and Lord Eldus in the first book.
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

Fasmin wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 12:23 What do you think about Destinism? Do you think it's the author's way of telling us some of his ideologies or something; Like in this quote from the book by the Eiodi :

Destinism is apparently an incorporation of varying beliefs, and this religion remains malleable. Although Destinism wasn't established in our world, many people today have similar belief with Destinism's religion.
Ann Harun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ann-harun.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ann Harun »

That was very thought-provoking. In aspects of destiny, I am a believer. There's almost a manner to predict a person's end by the lifestyle they lead. This is where concepts like greatness essence are relevant.  I believe that the writer was simply attempting to lay out how he sees the world through his own eyes. And it's true, this is how we evoke ideology, by laying out our ideas for discussions such as these.

Return to “Discuss We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko (Book 2 of 6)”