Discuss We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Re: Spiritual Vs. Magic Power

Post by Adanna Inya »

In this series, there's an area of overlap between spirituality and magic. At some point, I couldn't bring myself to accept the mixture, especially when the Eiodi had to face the "castle" guy. But what I can bet is that this is fiction, and Tysz decides who's more powerful than the other. I do not believe in magic but spirituality.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

I think it depends on the skill. One will have to be skilled enough with spirituality and Demetrius wasn't trained enough. I feel like he was led by emotions since Virko is his home place and he didn't want to see it suffer. Had it was someone I think the situation would have been salvaged and the outcomes wouldn't have been so dire.
monicamu
Currently Reading: Wings Over Ghost Creek
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monicamu.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by monicamu »

I thought that this question in the discussion of the book would result in a discussion of how spirituality and magic are used in this work of fiction. Instead it seems to have turned into a soapbox where people announce their personal beliefs. Can we please stay on topic?
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Well, I don’t agree to this completely. Personally for me, spiritual power is the most powerful thing. The priest didn’t try enough to banish the demon and so Demetrius had to use the magic. Frankly, in this series, anything can happen. And this is what makes it interesting and fun to read!
Undertaker5squad
Currently Reading: Henry the Sixth
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-undertaker5squad.html
Latest Review: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound by Richard L Haight

Post by Undertaker5squad »

I think that in order to have any idea which is more powerful, we have to know what they are first. What is magical power exactly? Where does it come from? What forces are you calling on when you use magic? Then you can ask the same questions about spiritual power. That, I think, will give you a better idea which is potentially superior without having to consider whoever's using it and all their possible weaknesses.
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

I don't think one is greater than the other and both can be effective in the right hands. I believe that they serve different purposes in Voulhirian, but they are both equally important.
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

KipMilly3 wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 13:25 The priests failed to banish the demon in Lord Hrelek's house. However, Demetrius attempted to banish the demon using magic. Do you think this proves that magic is greater than spiritual power? Why do you think the priests were so scared?

The priests never failed to banish the demon. They just didn't want to because they felt that they had more important things to do.
Njatha77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njatha77.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Njatha77 »

I think the priests were just complacent. Also, they weren't powerful enough – compared to the Eiodi –and the demon was bound by powerful magic. Even Demetrius ended up unleashing more of them rather than cleansing the place of the evil.

However, as seen later with Meldorath defeating the Eiodi, I think magic is stronger. Also, the fact that magic is talent rather than religious study means magic, being inherent, could undoubtedly be stronger.
"Difficulty keeps it interesting!"
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

KipMilly3 wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 13:25 The priests failed to banish the demon in Lord Hrelek's house. However, Demetrius attempted to banish the demon using magic. Do you think this proves that magic is greater than spiritual power? Why do you think the priests were so scared?
So far, it appeared to me that the religious committee hold magic in greater significance than their faith to God. However, I can't conclude if spiritual power is greater than magic since there wasn't an instance where spiritual power was used. I also don't know what kind of spiritual power are there.
Ann Harun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ann-harun.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ann Harun »

Separately, spirituality and magic are intertwined within one another with spirituality primarily describing how mystical an event can indeed be. Now, as for the priests' meddling, they obviously decided to let it be, giving Demetrius the chance to try out a magical process. If the priests had given up on spirituality, no magical event would have occurred to them.

Return to “Discuss We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko (Book 2 of 6)”