Rowan and Demetrius

Discuss We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End.
K+SQUARE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-square.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Re: Rowan and Demetrius

Post by K+SQUARE »

Some of my favourite moments reading the book is the banter between the companions. At first Rowan and Demetrius have their misgivings about each other but we see as the book progresses that they have started treating each other with more respect and it will likely get better. I also feel they are both jostling for Galen's affection.
Moray_001
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

Rowan and Demetrius are both secretive men. Galen is more open to other people despite his background. Maybe in other books their relationship will change.
Missing_Lynx
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missing-lynx.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Missing_Lynx »

K+SQUARE wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 04:13 Some of my favourite moments reading the book is the banter between the companions. At first Rowan and Demetrius have their misgivings about each other but we see as the book progresses that they have started treating each other with more respect and it will likely get better. I also feel they are both jostling for Galen's affection.
Uh, I couldn't agree more. I suspect there's a lot of romance between the lines. It's cute.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

Demetrius have wizardry controls that Rowan doesn't and he's improving. Then again, Rowan has an alluring character and he's chatty. I contemplate what they need, and are anxious about the possibility that that Galen would be all the more near the other one.
jardenjarden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jardenjarden.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by jardenjarden »

I definitely got the vibe that there is a sort of friendship bromance "love" triangle. Like you said, it definitely feels like Rowan and Demi are just kind of competing for Galen's affection. They are both really protective of him, but kind of ignore the fact that their stabs at one another hurt him more than they hurt each other.

We did see an attempt though at one point when Demi tried to speak to Rowan and get on better terms with him while they were still in Magnum Callum, however this proved to be futile because we saw how much they both lacked maturity and continued to poke at each other.

Honestly, though, I love their fiery relationship. It gives me some nice old-pal vibes and I think it adds a lot of humor to the story. It also makes those more serious moments they do share all the more valuable and sentimental.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

jardenjarden wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 03:36 I definitely got the vibe that there is a sort of friendship bromance "love" triangle. Like you said, it definitely feels like Rowan and Demi are just kind of competing for Galen's affection. They are both really protective of him, but kind of ignore the fact that their stabs at one another hurt him more than they hurt each other.

We did see an attempt though at one point when Demi tried to speak to Rowan and get on better terms with him while they were still in Magnum Callum, however this proved to be futile because we saw how much they both lacked maturity and continued to poke at each other.

Honestly, though, I love their fiery relationship. It gives me some nice old-pal vibes and I think it adds a lot of humor to the story. It also makes those more serious moments they do share all the more valuable and sentimental.
To me, the engagement between Rowan and Demetrius is more like friendly banters than true arguments. At first, they seem to be competing for Galen's attention, and Demetrius even thinks that Rowan always cuddles up to Galen. However, from book #4 onwards, what Demetrius displays makes me feel like he is actually jealous of Galen for being closer to Rowan than he is. I think that's where the "triangle love" changes to "a couple and a loyal audience" :D.
ankushavhad
Favorite Book: Gardening With Guns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankushavhad.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by ankushavhad »

Both Rowan and Demetrius are mutual coherence to Galen. The trio formed a rapport throughout the series so far (I am afraid, in the coming book they are separated, sad.) Being from different backgrounds they differ in views when it comes to superiority. However, as an individual bond with their common friend, Galen, both equally proved the friendship.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Bits Of Inkling wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 12:10 I've finished the 3rd book. However, I still haven't seen an improvement in Rowan and Demetrius' treatment of each other. I understand that the two have different views and beliefs. But even Galen saw the world differently and that never been an issue to each of them. Sometimes I felt like they are competing for Galen like who's going to be the best friend between them. Demi doesn't trust Rowan and I don't quite understand that. He doesn't seem to change even after they learned about Rowan's family.

I am really waiting for them to be great friends.
I don't want to rush their relationship, I they will be forced to be friends by circumstances. And I feel like Galen will abandon the two of them and after that they won't have much choice but to be there for each other. So I am not they worried about this two.
Sue_neth_ak
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sue-neth-ak.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sue_neth_ak »

Bits Of Inkling wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 12:10 I've finished the 3rd book. However, I still haven't seen an improvement in Rowan and Demetrius' treatment of each other. I understand that the two have different views and beliefs. But even Galen saw the world differently and that never been an issue to each of them. Sometimes I felt like they are competing for Galen like who's going to be the best friend between them. Demi doesn't trust Rowan and I don't quite understand that. He doesn't seem to change even after they learned about Rowan's family.

I actually enjoyed seeing how Demi and Rowan have an obvious jealousy between each other. They are indeed competing with each other to be Galen's best friend due to their insecurities. However, it's Galen's equal care towards the two that makes things sweet. I agree with you about how it'd be nice to see them finally getting along as best friends. I guess it'd happen soon:)
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

I'm not sure what their problem is, but I have a feeling that once they workout their differences they will be really good friends. I think the main reason they are like this is that they both grew up in Voulhire and they are both so sure that their way is the right way and they are very judgemental, especially Demetrius.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I do think it's natural for some sort of jealousy to be there. That would happen with most people in that situation. However, I am hoping that Demi and Rowan will form a good relationship later in the books.
I think the jealousy is adding on to their character currently. They are all young adults in the book, and it doesn't seem like they have proper friends. Galen might be the first person who doesn't use them for a selfish purpose, and he also seems to genuinely care for both Rowan and Demi.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

Galen is portrayed as a naive person. He trusts Rowan just because Rowan helped him. Demetrius views Rowan differently because he can tell that Rowan is hiding something. This is why Demetrius went to Rowan's room when they arrived at Rowan's home in Soulhire. There is definitely something that Rowan is hiding. I would like to know why he left his home and why he was hesitant to return there.
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

I think Demetrius and Rowan's treatment at each other was significantly influenced by the other's nature. Although Demetrius does moderately interact to Galen and Rowan because he doesn't want to be too left out when they bond, he still put pretty distance from people. Galen is passive and doesn't invade that barrier Demetrius' had decided for himself, and so they are civil at each other. Rowan, however, is affable, talkative, and forthright to everybody. Given Demi and Rowan's contradicting nature, the reserved Demi always become defensive when Rowan step past his comfort zone. Their discord was initially a light one, but it advanced to the level when they're truly against one another. I hope they'll learn to reconcile.
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

This relationship is hard to define. On the surface it appears as though the two hate each other but beneath that surface they seem to respect each other even though in subtle ways. It's as if they want to challenge each other, to know each other better, and perhaps they are a little envious of the other's relationship with Galen. :)
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

While they do that on the surface, I believe they really do care and respect each other underneath, although Demetrius does not trust Rowan, I believe it has to do with something that has not been mention yet in the book and I do believe he would come around, especially with the free spiruted Galen as their mutual friend.

Return to “Discuss We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End (Book 3 of 6)”