Lord Meldorath: Enemy or Ally

Discuss We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End.
Bits Of Inkling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bits-of-inkling.html
Latest Review: Awakening by Tayma Tameem

Lord Meldorath: Enemy or Ally

Post by Bits Of Inkling »

I got confused in his role. Meldorath doesn't seem to be a villain to me. He doesn't want to be involved in the Emperor of the Lullabies plans and he even rescued people upon the arrival of the monsters. I can see that he could be Voulhire's ally in the future.
naomilupton_98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomilupton-98.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by naomilupton_98 »

Meldorath is a puzzling, yet interesting, character. He was imprisoned (some argue wrongly, whereas others deem it was deserved), and escaped. But his plan is not yet known. His takeover of the role of Eiodi was surprising, to say the least. Not sure at this point whether or not he is after the throne or just revenge on those who wronged him... maybe both?

He definitely is not a 2D character. He is not 100% bad or 100% good, but a bit of both it seems. This is refreshing to see, as many characters are either outright evil or outright good (both of which is hideously unrealistic). At times, his ambition is relatable as most of us have (or had) ambitions we dedicatedly chased.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Meldorath's character is quite confusing. Because of his unknown motivation, we can't say for sure if he is evil, or if he will be Voulhire's ally. He did inflict terror on his people, namely Hilport's residents, which led to his imprisonment. He resents the King because of this and plans to exact his vengeance, killing many innocent people along the way. He also cares more about going to Caromentis than Voulhire's wellbeing. It's unsure if he saves Soulhire because of his concern for Voulhirian or his dislike towards the Emperor, but it does help him improve his reputation. I just wonder what's so good about Caromentis that he is so fixated on it?
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sou Hi wrote: 11 Oct 2020, 21:43 Meldorath's character is quite confusing. Because of his unknown motivation, we can't say for sure if he is evil, or if he will be Voulhire's ally. He did inflict terror on his people, namely Hilport's residents, which led to his imprisonment. He resents the King because of this and plans to exact his vengeance, killing many innocent people along the way. He also cares more about going to Caromentis than Voulhire's wellbeing. It's unsure if he saves Soulhire because of his concern for Voulhirian or his dislike towards the Emperor, but it does help him improve his reputation. I just wonder what's so good about Caromentis that he is so fixated on it?
In my understanding, for Meldorath everything is fair when he is up to something. He saved Soulhire as you said to improve his reputation and to gain time for his forthcoming travel to Caromentis.

Caromentis is just different, it's interesting to him, I believe. He's fed up with this world and needs new experiences and impressions.

When, for example, Folcro is evil, Meldorath is lesser evil IMO :)
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I love the character, even if he did bad things he doesn't seem 100% bad. It seems that we found the real bad guy of the series, and Meldorath is fighting him. So we should not hate him too much :). It's typical for Tysz to build real characters, with a mix of good and bad. That's why it's hard to decide how to tag the characters, positive or negative. It's a subjective decision.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Ellylion wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 06:00
Sou Hi wrote: 11 Oct 2020, 21:43 Meldorath's character is quite confusing. Because of his unknown motivation, we can't say for sure if he is evil, or if he will be Voulhire's ally. He did inflict terror on his people, namely Hilport's residents, which led to his imprisonment. He resents the King because of this and plans to exact his vengeance, killing many innocent people along the way. He also cares more about going to Caromentis than Voulhire's wellbeing. It's unsure if he saves Soulhire because of his concern for Voulhirian or his dislike towards the Emperor, but it does help him improve his reputation. I just wonder what's so good about Caromentis that he is so fixated on it?
In my understanding, for Meldorath everything is fair when he is up to something. He saved Soulhire as you said to improve his reputation and to gain time for his forthcoming travel to Caromentis.

Caromentis is just different, it's interesting to him, I believe. He's fed up with this world and needs new experiences and impressions.

When, for example, Folcro is evil, Meldorath is lesser evil IMO :)
Yeah, I think Meldorath is not entirely evil, too :). But then, I'm puzzled with his feeling towards Julia :eusa-think:. It seems he does care about her, but he still left for Caromentis. I wonder what happened to their family. In book #6, Julia shows that she is quite proud to be his daughter, so I suppose their relationship is not that bad.
fancyjg
Favorite Book: Timewise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fancyjg.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by fancyjg »

Meldorath in the book he is majorly potrayed as being the antagonist though I loved his character because he is not purely evil some of his actions shows it.
plnjimenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plnjimenez.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by plnjimenez »

Bits Of Inkling wrote: 11 Oct 2020, 05:04 I got confused in his role. Meldorath doesn't seem to be a villain to me. He doesn't want to be involved in the Emperor of the Lullabies plans and he even rescued people upon the arrival of the monsters. I can see that he could be Voulhire's ally in the future.
I had the same thoughts! After reading the second book, I was doubtful if his appearance would bring good or evil. Now that I read the third book, I doubted even more. It seems like he's on to something bigger that would benefit most of the people but in order to do that, some unpleasant actions need to be taken first.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

I fact, I don't think he is a villain. But I would deem him as a hero, beacause he is selfish, he doesn't care about the well-being of others when it's time to fulfill his ambitions. Furthermore, I do believe that he will end up provoking a war between the earth and Caromentis.
Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: The Last Panda by L.Z. smith

Post by Fabulous mind »

Bits Of Inkling wrote: 11 Oct 2020, 05:04 I got confused in his role. Meldorath doesn't seem to be a villain to me. He doesn't want to be involved in the Emperor of the Lullabies plans and he even rescued people upon the arrival of the monsters. I can see that he could be Voulhire's ally in the future.
I'm also having a hard time knowing his motives. Yes, he did help Soulhire during the attack, but I also think he only did that because he wanted something in return, which he got.

In general, i think he isn't interested in the physical world, he just want to do everything to get involved in Caromentis.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

fancyjg wrote: 14 Oct 2020, 11:43 Meldorath in the book he is majorly potrayed as being the antagonist though I loved his character because he is not purely evil some of his actions shows it.
Thank you, I really don't think Meldorath is the overall antagonist, or purely evil. He seems to be just doing his thing and sometimes uses whatever means - good or evil- to get what he wants.
He's still my favourite character though.
:techie-reference:
tafta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tafta.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by tafta »

Meldorath has his own ambitions in life that are not so clear. In a bid to achieve those, he became very powerful. I think he is simply powerful and not power hungry. He saves Soulhire because he had the ability. He did so instinctively, someone who is instinctively good has more good inside than evil.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html

Post by zainherb »

tafta wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 09:18 Meldorath has his own ambitions in life that are not so clear. In a bid to achieve those, he became very powerful. I think he is simply powerful and not power hungry. He saves Soulhire because he had the ability. He did so instinctively, someone who is instinctively good has more good inside than evil.
Okay, this is a very interesting take on Lord Meldorath and his motivations. I never thought of it this way and yet I agree completely...well, I am not sure about him being instinctively good.
:techie-reference:
Tamisha25
Favorite Book: Korian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamisha25.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Tamisha25 »

Smart and powerful, is an accurate description of Meldorath. The perfect combination of dangerous. I can't wait to see what he has on his agenda.
K+SQUARE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-square.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by K+SQUARE »

Meldorath's actions cannot really be classified totally good or bad. His unknown plans, motives and ambitions for make him an integral part of the book. Taking over the Eiodi was an unexpected twist in the tale.

Return to “Discuss We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End (Book 3 of 6)”