Magic.

Discuss We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Re: Magic.

Post by Mtibza eM »

Mhmm, I don't have much of an opinion regarding this, but I think I will have to read more and see what it'll lead to in the following books. I certainly didn't have this take after reading the book.
Sue_neth_ak
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sue-neth-ak.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sue_neth_ak »

plnjimenez wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 03:28 I think that magic is much more powerful in this book rather than swords. It can inflict pain without physical contact.
I agree. Magic has less boundaries than swords, making Mages more powerful. Then again, it all depends on who uses it and how they use it. Since magic requires less physical contact, it seems easier to reach a faraway enemy giving mages an upperhand. However, there were moments in the book that made me feel doubtful about which was mkre superior.
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

I think in the Voulhirian world magic is more powerful than weapons and eventually they'll stop using swords to fight and start using magic more or a combination of both. They have to be very creative if they want to be victorious against this new Riva.
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

Though I enjoyed reading about using black magic while fighting. I normally feel like i'm watching it on a screen. In real life situation where its not everyone among the magic-weaponed fighters would be skillful in it; in mass war, the use of magic might not be effective. However, magic-weaponed fighter can have added advantage over sword fighters
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

Magic is more powerful than swords. It gives people an advantage over the others. Meldorath was advantaged because he was a powerful mage.
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

fancyjg wrote: 14 Oct 2020, 12:24 Do you think magic should be used instead of swords? The book portrays magic to be more powerful. Do you think it gives some people an advantage over the other when it comes to ruling Voulhire?

I'm fine with the used of sword over magic, but I'm much more fascinated when they used magic. Although people that can wield magic do have an edge over those who only use swords, the determining factor will be their mastery in their individual weapon. Since I also believe that the one who's wielding the weapon is much more crucial than the weapon itself.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Yes! I think magic is more entertaining in a book than swords. Magic can also do more damage without all the fighting .
Fasmin
Favorite Book: We are voulhire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fasmin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fasmin »

Yes, I do think a person that doesn't know magic would be more vulnerable against a person that does. But then again there's bound to be a reason why everyone in Voulhire doesn't know magic (perhaps it's hard to master or takes too much time? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )
And like others have pointed out people that have a good probability of having to deal with magic are taught counter magic and some even learn defensive spells (like King Wilhelm).
And let's not forget that magical properties can be imbued into weapons.
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
– John Green
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

I think the combination of both is a supreme force. For instance the use of imbued weapons gives the user more power than either would even if he or she were a master of the one.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

fancyjg wrote: 14 Oct 2020, 12:24 Do you think magic should be used instead of swords? The book portrays magic to be more powerful. Do you think it gives some people an advantage over the other when it comes to ruling Voulhire?
I find this question somewhat rhetorical as how can a person with just a sword defeat a person using magic which can affect you several feet away.
You have to get up close to use most combat weapons and you might be dead before getting any close than a dozen feet. A good example is when Galen tried to attack the shadow that was to kill King wilhelm. He stood no chance at all.
Gideon Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideon-olomofe.html
Latest Review: An autopsy with a smile by Snejana Danwell

Post by Gideon Olomofe »

In the book, the author seemed to balance magic and sword powers. But, generally speaking magic can give upper hand over sword, it is also evident in some fantasy films I've watched.

Return to “Discuss We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End (Book 3 of 6)”