Magic.

Discuss We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End.
fancyjg
Favorite Book: Timewise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fancyjg.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Magic.

Post by fancyjg »

Do you think magic should be used instead of swords? The book portrays magic to be more powerful. Do you think it gives some people an advantage over the other when it comes to ruling Voulhire?
plnjimenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plnjimenez.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by plnjimenez »

I think that magic is much more powerful in this book rather than swords. It can inflict pain without physical contact.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It's harder to use magic, and one have to be very powerful to engage in a magic fight. Do continue to read the next books, you'll see that magic will be used in such way!
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

Yes, it's very clear in the story that the skillful in magic ones have the power over the ones who are not skilled in the matter.
ankushavhad
Favorite Book: Gardening With Guns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankushavhad.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by ankushavhad »

In my opinion, both Magic and Sword form a part of the weapon. One conspires and the other signifies bravery. Matthew Tysz, so far, did balance both in most of his series books. I enjoyed the dark magic part more as it invokes curiosity while reading.
Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: The Last Panda by L.Z. smith

Post by Fabulous mind »

Yes, magic gives some persons an edge over the others, but the author made it even, when soldiers are taught counter magics. This makes most persons that use magic to be vulnerable to attacks by this soldiers. I think I like both of them as used by the author.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

fancyjg wrote: 14 Oct 2020, 12:24 Do you think magic should be used instead of swords? The book portrays magic to be more powerful. Do you think it gives some people an advantage over the other when it comes to ruling Voulhire?
Apparently magic is one of the most powerful weapons in Voulhire. Individuals who practice it have an added advantage here. That being said, my opinion is that real men should sharpen their swords and face each other.
tafta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tafta.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by tafta »

I think magic is esteemed very highly in Voulhire such that spells were cast on their swords in order to be balanced against the opponent. I think it makes for an interesting read when the opponents cast energy balls at each other, having to read the level of knowledge in terms of magic of the opponent and countering it. In comparison I think plain sword fight would have been boring.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Fabulous mind wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 18:46 Yes, magic gives some persons an edge over the others, but the author made it even, when soldiers are taught counter magics. This makes most persons that use magic to be vulnerable to attacks by this soldiers. I think I like both of them as used by the author.
Yes. The author definitely balanced the use of magic and swords in the series. However, I think those who are quite powerful mages still have an advantage over those who use swords very well and can do some countermagic.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
K+SQUARE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-square.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by K+SQUARE »

Magic does give an edge in battle but not everyone has the inclination to do magic. I feel it gives some people an advantage in ruling Voulhire, however I don't think it will be a determining factor.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

Magic is more powerful and much harder to wield than swords. It definitely gives a person an advantage over the other. However, in Voulhire, the author incorporates both magic and swords, introducing nuances in the magic system like the ability to counter magic with swords through training.
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

One schemes and the other implies fortitude. Matthew Tysz, up until now, adjusted both in a large portion of his arrangement books. I delighted in obscurity wizardry part more as it conjures interest while perusing.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

As far as I have understood, it's not that magic is less powerful than swords, it's that those who can render it so by using it to its full potential, as Meldorath or Demetrius do, are very rare.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
JulietBlack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julietblack.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by JulietBlack »

Magic is the major weapons of defence and destruction in Voulhire. As much as I enjoy the magic, I would prefer magic and sword, hand in hand!
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Not everybody can use magic. In the Voulhire universe, there are even different kinds of magic (cosmic, Caromentis) and only certain mages can use certain magic. I do feel that the battles in the We are Voulhire are not balanced, because the magic seems to overrule any 'normal' way of fighting.

Return to “Discuss We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End (Book 3 of 6)”