Review of A Lead Pill

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Review of A Lead Pill

Post by topdan30 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Lead Pill" by R A Jacobson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Lead Pill by R A Jacobson is a fictional novel that features a series of short stories which are interrelated by their contents. I will recommend this book to lovers of books with tension, a lot of twists and a dark storyline.

The judge is a being who could turn around people’s lives for good, only with a deal. People are scared of his personality, and he only allows people to make a deal with him once by signing an agreement. The only solution to break out from a deal with The Judge is by swallowing a lead pill. Donald inherited his father’s diner after his death. His Dad’s friend, Gordon, had sold his soul to The Judge. Gordon never grew old, and this surprised Donald. Donald is determined to find out about The judge and his deals. Jacob also sold his soul to The judge, and his friend, Brian, got angry with him, and they got into a fight. Brian later got into a terrible accident which took away both of his hands. He became miserable as he cannot do basic things with his hands. He had to go to the judge for a deal to make his life easier and better. What is a lead pill? What are the consequences of making a deal with The Judge? A read will provide these answers.

The author provided seven different stories that are related. The relationship between all these stories is The Judge. One character or the other in these stories had a deal or knew someone who had a deal with The Judge. The author carefully developed the various storyline of each story and presented them in a way that made them fit together. The book was written in a simple language to allow each reader to understand and flow well with the characters provided.

I love the various characters provided by the author. The character of Adam in the sixth story is fun to read. He is someone who is obsessed with green plants and loves observing nature. I love reading about him and his effort in providing life to green things and also taking life. The character of The Judge is also an interesting one. He was used in almost all the stories provided. He is a being who has answers to all things and makes deals with hidden details. His deals are always dubious, and I always look forward to reading about them. I also enjoyed the part in which Adam had an unusual encounter with the crow. The method of communication for the crow was presented in a way that is unique and fun to read. The author also used capital letters to create emphasis in speech. This allowed me to flow with the emotions behind each character’s speech.

There were some stories which I would have loved if the author had provided endings. The stories were interesting, and they were stopped at the peak of the enjoyment. This is the only thing I disliked in this book. The book was professionally edited with few errors noticed. Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This is because the book was still interesting despite the above-stated dislike.

A Lead Pill
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

A lead pill sounds like a dark story collection. The Judge can be the devil and it's like giving the soul to him. I would love to read this book as it sounds intriguing. Thank you for a great review!
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

The judge seems like a fascinating character and I would like to know the consequences of signing a deal with him. Since the stories are interconnected, there's a lot to uncover in the book.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

I love when books have stories or subplots that are all interrelated so this sounds like a book for me. Thanks for your great review!
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

I'm not a lover of stories with dark storylines but your review draws me to this one. I may check this out. Great review.
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

I like reading books with similar themes and would definitely like to try this book as well . The idea of different stories fitting in like pieces of a maze and still standing being independent of each other stands out the most to me; an interesting pattern for short storie novels! Also , thank you for such an insightful review! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

An author needs to be clever and precise to write a series of stories that are interconnected and make the whole series work, so it's good to know that this is such a case, with twists and suspense. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”