Review of Asylum Of Diction

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Review of Asylum Of Diction

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Asylum Of Diction" by Alyssa Milani.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Terror, retribution, unfettered love—these are the things that move us, motivate us, and at times, leave us paralyzed. In Asylum of Diction, Alyssa Milani has deftly crafted an emotionally charged anthology of novellas and short stories that illustrate all facets of the human experience. Some stories will have readers shivering at the thought of an otherworldly creature lurking in the corner. Others will have them celebrating as a reprehensible antagonist gets their comeuppance, and a girl who's been bullied her whole life gets the taste of unconditional love—plus so much more! So settle in, and get comfortable as you become immersed in every intriguing story.

Asylum of Diction captured my interest from beginning to end with its diverse characters and unconventional storylines. As separate as they were, the eight stories had one thing in common—exceptional character development, which made me want to devour the pages in one sitting. I particularly enjoyed the psychological warfare Hardy endured in "The Ultimatum." The twisted game forced her to make grueling decisions and do deplorable things to keep her son alive. Desperation can put things into perspective. I was entranced by her ability to adapt to the ever-changing dangers she faced.

Beyond character development, the high caliber of writing ignited my senses, often causing a visceral reaction. The precise detail dedicated to describing the shadowy, slithery creature in "Paralysis" caused my skin to tingle and made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. Fearfully, I turned on every light in the house! While reading "Nelle and Kade," I was moved to tears by the sweet, albeit tumultuous, love story between the couple who had to overcome so much just to be together.

Moreover, despite the oddity of many of the stories, the author explored topics that would resonate universally. Most of us are familiar with feeling gutted by grief, depression, or a broken heart. We feel shameful about our pasts and sweep ugly family secrets under the rug, hoping they will disappear. We feel happy but indebted when love chooses us. In this excellent book, readers can expect the whole human experience, including the rollercoaster of emotions that comes with it.

There was nothing to dislike about the book, and I was impressed by the editing; I only found one error! That said, I have given the anthology a rating of five out of five stars for gifting me the ultimate escape from reality. Between the strong characters, vivid descriptions, and relevant topics, Asylum of Diction deserved every one of those stars and more.

I recommend the book to readers who enjoy short stories and novellas that differentiate themselves from mainstream stories. If you love books that explore things that are strange, ugly, beautiful, and everything in between, this book is for you! However, due to profanity and some violence, reader discretion is advised.

Asylum Of Diction
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ogechi Okonkwo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogechi-okonkwo.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by Ogechi Okonkwo »

This is an interesting and a fascinating review. I loved how you captured every aspect of the book. I did enjoy reading your review. This is an interesting one.
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

This seems too interesting to skip, I will add this to my shelf soon. Thank you for your review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This anthology includes a diverse set of stories that explore different aspects of the human experience with interesting ramifications. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”