Review of The Journalist

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Review of The Journalist

Post by Aisha Yakub »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Journalist" by John Reid Young.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Jamie Ryder left the army. He could have had a bright future if he had stayed, but he did this for the sake of his girlfriend. Sadly, she rejects him in favor of another man who has been courting her. Jamie was left heartbroken and lost. He returned to England. He never anticipated the dramatic turn his life would take.

Everything starts rolling when he meets Ruth at a cocktail party, and he becomes immediately intrigued by her. Jamie is compelled to assume a false identity as a journalist in the Scilly Isles due to some unexpected events. Ruth requests his assistance in navigating a small Irish yacht to a port in northern Spain. Unwillingly, Jamie gets tangled up in a gun-running operation happening between the Irish Republican Army and the Basque Separatists. The former started to wonder if Ryder was a spy working for British Intelligence. Ryder learns that his life is in danger and realizes that he should leave. However, he doesn’t.

The Journalist by John Reid Young is an interesting book, and most parts were fun to read. I liked the characters, the plot, the narration, and the entire premise of the novel. I particularly enjoyed how the book initially appeared to be divided into two parts before gradually coming together to produce a single, enormous frequency and wavelength. Jamie Ryder, the protagonist, was a well-written character. It was good that the author threw him right into the conflict that set the story in motion. The way he handled the issue in front of him made me like him, even though I didn’t particularly enjoy his section of the story compared to the other part before they came together.

The few issues I had with The Journalist were minor, but I thought they merited attention. The primary problem I experienced was the transition between scenes. I thought it came on too suddenly and was too abrupt. This flaw didn’t apply to all scene transitions. Some of them were buttery smooth, while others were a little rough and uneven. The introduction of the characters bothered me. It was a little difficult for me to follow the plot because I thought some characters were abruptly introduced and removed from it. Also, there was an issue I had with info-dumping done on a particular character, and he wasn’t a central character. It rendered that part of the chapter a bit confusing and boring.

I give John Reid Young’s book a rating of 4 out of 5 stars because I thought the storyline and writing were good. This book was professionally edited. I enjoyed reading it. If not for the drawbacks that I encountered, I would have given this book a perfect rating. Additionally, I suggest it to anyone who enjoys historical thrillers set in the 20th century.

The Journalist
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

This novel was set in recent history and deals with more mystery and intrigue than with romance so I think that I will really enjoy it. I don’t think that the scene changes will bother me.
George Muturi 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-george-muturi-4.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by George Muturi 4 »

What could be more exciting than a tale of unrequited love, guns and false identities? I will definitely read this and as sure as hell enjoy it.
Maestro Kutlwa Musiq Radipabe VI
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maestro-kutlwa-musiq-radipabe-vi.html
Latest Review: The Journalist by John Reid Young

Post by Maestro Kutlwa Musiq Radipabe VI »

Sounds very interesting, I'm about to read it 😁
A Musician by Profession an Artist by Nature..
Kelly Tunstall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-tunstall.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by Kelly Tunstall »

It sounds like a book with an interesting plot. I think the character changes would probably also bother me as I have not enjoyed that style of writing in some books I have previously read. However, I will give it a try.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Jamie hoped to build a good life for him and his girlfriend but ended up with disappointments and complications. I wonder how he'll deal with all that happened to him. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”