Review of The Prescription

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ejimma Chika Promise
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejimma-chika-promise.html
Latest Review: Happiness to the 10th Power by T. Calvin Ward

Re: Review of The Prescription

Post by Ejimma Chika Promise »

Just like Shannon, I do not know why people get addicted to drugs that are not sweet. But should these companies be blamed when users get addicted to their drugs? Why or why not? Nice review!
Sarvesh J Yadav
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarvesh-j-yadav.html
Latest Review: Iron Pigs by Nathan Dunlap

Post by Sarvesh J Yadav »

Through beautiful dialogue and a compelling storyline, K.C. Gilbert makes us see the fight and the bureaucratic barriers (which usually resulted in the great lawyers quitting the case), which would be so much work and time for struggle.
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

Highlighting the issues of drug addictiveness and the side effects of certain drugs in this fictitious story seems fabulous, and the portrayal of characters with real-life experiences with medical prescriptions brilliantly enlightens the readers about the pharmaceutical fraternity.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: The Local Legend of Iron River by William Mierzejewski

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

I think it's great this book shines light on the pharmaceutical industry and the need for change albeit being a fiction. Hopefully, the companies are prosecuted for their participation in creating addicts. I'm very interested in this plot, so I'll check out the book.
Naushin Moledina
Favorite Book: The Canterville Ghost
Currently Reading: Boundaries
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naushin-moledina.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Naushin Moledina »

"The Prescription" by K. C. Gilbert delves into the impact of addictive painkillers like Opioid and Zilontin, focusing on Nashville, Tennessee. Chris encounters her friend Shannon, who's struggled with addiction due to painkiller misuse. The book, while fictional, provides insights into legal processes and tackles pharmaceutical accountability. With engaging storytelling, it earns a 5-star recommendation, especially for legal and pharmaceutical industry enthusiasts. Thank you for a great review!
To hate is an easy lazy thing, but to love takes strength everyone has, but not all are willing to practice
Cheryl Erickson
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

In Gilbert's The Prescription, meet Assistant Attorney Casey Cooper. He is caring for his ailing grandmother and finds himself tangled up in the opioid crisis. Casey uncovers false marketing of pharmaceutical companies and has to fight lawsuits, company leaks, and an assassin. Fans of legal thrillers should grab a copy! I think this one will keep me on the edge of my seat! Great book review!
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

The thrilling storyline highlighting the ill effects of addictive painkillers seems right up my alley. Thanks for the awesome review!
Reva Parker
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reva-parker.html
Latest Review: Dear Abigail by Richard Rees

Post by Reva Parker »

Thank you for your great review. I also felt like it was a true story, even though it is fiction. I liked the family part with gram and caring about friends from long ago. I'm glad that it was professionally edited. I recognized some of the places in Tennessee and I'm curious about how and what Casey does on the legal end. Sadly, too many people think they are doing something good to help them, but end up getting hurt very badly. After reading your review, I have decided to add it to my list of books to read.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: La secta
Bookshelf Size: 2407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: The Perfect Life by Anne Callahan
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

"The Prescription" is a book by K. C. Gilbert that discusses the number of people affected by addictive painkillers called Opioid and Zilontin and how their manufacturers, despite being aware of their addictiveness, continued production and distribution of these drugs. The author centered his story in Nashville, Tennessee. Chris was coming from a friend's home who had just given birth when she met her longtime school best friend and teammate, Shannon Bloom. She could hardly recognize her because of her appearance. It was disclosed that Shannon had been in and out of rehab after her knee injury, for which she was administered an addictive painkiller. As a result of the addictive painkiller, she got hooked on several hard drugs, including heroin, before she met Chris. While she was with Chris, she collapsed and fell in front of the hospital, where they both stood. Chris had to call the paramedics for help, and she was rushed to the ER. Did Shannon survive? Was the pharmaceutical company producing the addictive painkillers prosecuted? Get the full details when you read this book.

Sometimes, it takes a concrete person to see the enormous damage that addictions can cause. It's not the same to see it in the news or read it as to connect with one single human or character. It's a great narrative tool for a book like this.
Thank you for your great review!
Annalisa Whyte
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annalisa-whyte.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Annalisa Whyte »

Great review. I think this book perfectly sheds light on how these companies behave like they are unaware of how damaging these drugs are yet continue to produce them despite the effects. I like how the reviewer also left us on a kind of cliffhanger right there. I'll definitely check it out when I get the chance to read the full book.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
Leonie Vermaak
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 622
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

This sounds interesting. Addiction to painkillers is something that I've noted to become more prominent these days. It's not always the strong painkillers either, which is very sad to say the least. I'm definitely reading this soon. Thanks for an insightful review. Congrats on BOTD.
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: The Complete Guide To Gym Exercise by PRT Endeavors
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Damian Keyes »

This book is relatable to today's climate of drug addiction and big Pharma playing a part in overprescribing drugs. The topic is going to bring awareness to how many people play a part in this epidemic. Congrats to the author for having the BOTD.
Hy Be
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hy-be.html
Latest Review: Developing Resilience by Penny Christian Knight

Post by Hy Be »

"The Prescription" by K C Gilbert sheds harsh realities of pharmacy industry continously manufacturing and supplying addictive painkillers. The author weaved themes of addiction, exploitation, justice and friendship in this book.
Elizabeth-Tush4Christ
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-tush4christ.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 43%

Post by Elizabeth-Tush4Christ »

The book tells of the experience of many who have sustained injury in recent years and got addicted to the pain meds given by doctors' prescriptions. One would have thought that at this time such medical decisions would have been revised and proper follow-up put in place to help those cut in the web.

Though the book is fiction, it speaks to events in the real world. The review presents the book in an interesting form and I look forward to diving in, thanks to the reviewer, and congratulations to the author on BOTD
That I may know Him :arrow: Philippians 3:10
Ankitg Yadav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankitg-yadav.html
Latest Review: The Harder I Fall, The Higher I Bounce by Max James

Post by Ankitg Yadav »

An eye-opening, sharp thriller that reminds us of the central legal and social aspects of the mounting opioid crisis in North America. Gilbert points out the rationality of striving to understand the depth of the problem and targeting directly Big Pharma, as he takes an entertaining way to convey his messages.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”