Review of The Jersey Death Squad: A Journey to Kill Jessie Freeman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Pranav Dewangan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The Never-Ending Adventures of Irv Wiley by James P. Sullivan

Review of The Jersey Death Squad: A Journey to Kill Jessie Freeman

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Jersey Death Squad: A Journey to Kill Jessie Freeman" by Mark Meding.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This story is about four friends and a father-like figure in their lives, police officer Hank Polensky. Scotty is the primary narrator of the story. Scotty, Jessup, Gary, and Ian are best friends. Each group member has unique characteristics: one is rich, one is a hothead, one is a leader, and one just keeps to himself most of the time. They are involved in a lot of misadventures throughout town, and their behavior often gets them in trouble. One day, due to some mixup, Officer Hank gets involved with a school bully, and the bully attacks him. He ends up in a coma in the hospital, barely alive. Seeing Officer Hank's suffering, they form a pact that if any of their group's four members end up in a coma, they will pull the plug. They will not let their friend suffer for eternity. Jessup was the one who wanted to create the pact. After several decades, when Jessup actually ends up in a coma, their friends have a serious choice on their hands. Should they pull the plug on his friend like he always wanted to honor the pact, or should they wait for him to recover? Read the book The Jersey Death Squad: A Journey to Kill Jessie Freeman by Mark Meding to find out. 

This book contains 36 chapters. Each chapter contains roughly one event from their life. The storyline covers two timelines side by side. Throughout the book, the timeline switches between the past and the present. One of the timelines from the past is from their teenage years. In the other timeline that is present, they are in their mid-fifties. 

I liked how the author connected the story by telling it in the present and past timelines simultaneously. I liked how the author unfolded each piece of the story towards the latter half of the book and the climax. The surprises were nice, and the story was heartwarming. I liked how the author inserted key elements of the story while describing the misadventures of the friend group during their teenage years. The best part is the emotional impact this story has as you reach the end of the book. The book was well organized and concise, which gave it more impact while taking less time. The editing is also good, with a few minor errors I noted. 

There was nothing much to dislike about this book. The book has severe profanity throughout, starting from the first page, but it seemed essential to portray the true spirit of New Jersey. 

I would rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. As I mentioned earlier, I loved absolutely everything about this book and have nothing to complain about. This book is recommended for people who enjoy reading fiction and uplifting stories about friendships that stand the test of time.

The Jersey Death Squad: A Journey to Kill Jessie Freeman
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kauser Sajjad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kauser-sajjad.html
Latest Review: The Vine by Adria L. Dunn
2024 Reading Goal: 300
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kauser Sajjad »

"The Jersey Death Squad: A Journey to Kill Jessie Freeman" by Mark Meding is a compelling tale of friendship and moral dilemmas. The story, narrated by Scotty, skillfully alternates between past misadventures and present-day challenges, creating a rich, layered narrative. The pact made by the four friends and their father-figure, Officer Hank Polensky, adds emotional depth, particularly when Jessup ends up in a coma. The author’s use of dual timelines enhances the storytelling, revealing key elements and surprises with precision. Despite some profanity, the book’s portrayal of lifelong friendship and tough decisions is both heartwarming and thought-provoking. Overall, this well-organized and emotionally impactful novel deserves a full five-star rating.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Fated Sky
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 55%

Post by NetMassimo »

Deciding about a friend's life must be heartbreaking. A story in which that happens in two timelines centered around a strong friendship is interesting and certainly brings a lot of emotions. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”