Review of Feral Darling

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Review of Feral Darling

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Feral Darling" by Ed Diamante.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Feral Darling by Ed Diamante is a supernatural romance set in modern-day Alaska. This adventure novel is the first installment of The Slayer Anthology.

Once again, Caelin’s life takes a turn for the worst after his father is viciously killed by a pack of bears. This unusual attack coincides with the appearance of Daemiana and the religious inquisitors to the remote Alaskan town of Kreuger Sound. Bound by godly duty, Ivers the Grand Inquisitor and his fanatic brotherhood will stop at nothing to destroy the cursed beast that is Daemiana. Althewhile, an ancient werewolf coven is hot on her trail—their leader, Dionisio, is bent on revenge. Young Caelin and Daemiana become intensely attracted to each other. But, their buried secrets threaten their love at every turn. Can their romance prevail against the odds—natural, supernatural, and religious? With Caelin as her only hope of survival, Daemiana will need to learn to trust men.

My favorite aspect of Feral Darling is the complexity of certain characters. Their deep internal conflicts make them infallible. I found myself contemplating the face value of their actions whether good or evil; things are not always what they seem. For example, Daemiana’s mistrust of men is almost misandrist. Another example is the inquisitor’s obsessive need for redemption.

Another favorite aspect was the werewolf folklore. The author did a great job of building this horrific beast, such as using silver talismans and the full-moon effect. Moreover, I loved the setting of the Alaskan wilderness. It was more appropriate for this mythical creature than a cityscape. On top of that, the author uses nature's elements against the werewolf, such as animals and climate. These scenes, in particular, were quite exciting and filled with survivalist-like adventure.

For those fighting-action enthusiasts, this book will feed their cravings. These scenes are descriptive with all sorts of weaponry, such as firearms, swords, and axes. The inquisitors and the werewolves engage in gruesome and bloody battles. In addition, the pictorial vocabulary left no holes in the imagination. Diamante freely aroused the five senses with his phrases. Unfortunately, these parts were my least favorite aspects of the story. After reading a few of them, I had my fill. Thankfully, they didn’t linger on.

Diamante ties spiritual commentaries into his lycanthrope folklore, adding discourse to the story. For instance, the characters’ monologues often question religious or karmic ideas. Mostly, these shifts flowed with the plotline, but there were moments when I was eager for them to end. So, this was a negative point for me.

Another negative aspect was the character-building of Daemiana. As the only female protagonist for the majority of the book, Daemiana doesn't really have anything to strive towards; instead, the other male characters profited from her. It was surprising because she seemed to play a central role yet felt incomplete. I got the sense that she was a conflict in the plot as opposed to a central character.

As such, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I found a few errors, but they didn’t get in the way of my reading. Also, it doesn't merit a lower rating since I loved the werewolf adventure.

I recommend it to anyone who likes paranormal and supernatural genres. I also recommend it to those in search of action genres with lots of gore and horror. There is explicit language and sexual content, along with a description of attempted rape; thus, I caution sensitive readers. Also, there are references to biblical verses and satanic rituals. Some religious readers might take offense.

Feral Darling
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

I guess u recommend this book to me. I'll always love paranormal genres. nd the story sounds fascinating from the beginning of your review. Good one!
Signature of Grace.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like that some characters are complex, with deep internal conflicts. Thanks for the reading recommendation.
Shivansh_007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-007.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Shivansh_007 »

Seems like a pretty spooky book. I will definitely try to read it when I get free. Thanks for the review.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

GideonWrites Review wrote: 07 Nov 2021, 12:56 I guess u recommend this book to me. I'll always love paranormal genres. nd the story sounds fascinating from the beginning of your review. Good one!
You're welcome! :tiphat: Paranormal stories are one of my favs too!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

markodim721 wrote: 09 Nov 2021, 05:36 I like that some characters are complex, with deep internal conflicts. Thanks for the reading recommendation.
So do I and this book is filled with them. You're welcome and thanks for stopping by! :D
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Shivansh_007 wrote: 09 Nov 2021, 08:32 Seems like a pretty spooky book. I will definitely try to read it when I get free. Thanks for the review.
I hope you get that chance. You're welcome and thanks for your comment.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by NetMassimo »

Romance is not my thing but I like a good supernatural story, even gory, so I might like this one. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

NetMassimo wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 08:09 Romance is not my thing but I like a good supernatural story, even gory, so I might like this one. Thank you for your great review!
I think this book might be right down your lane. Hope you get a chance to try it. Thanks for your comment.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

I love the book cover design, it is quite colorful. Trust is something that is easy to get and also easy to lose. I would love to know how Caelin ended. Good review.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

This book has a good structure and plot. It seems interesting and captivating. Thanks for the review.
Shelby Ayres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Post by Shelby Ayres »

The cover and the title are eye-catching and interesting. I like the werewolf adventures. I look forward to reading this book.
Joshua Sawders
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshua-sawders.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Joshua Sawders »

Based on the review, "Feral Darling" by Ed Diamante seems to be an intriguing supernatural romance set in the Alaskan wilderness. The complexity of the characters and the inclusion of werewolf folklore add depth to the story. The action-packed battles and descriptive writing style cater to fans of fighting and gore. However, the book also incorporates spiritual commentaries, which may not appeal to everyone. Overall, this book appears to be a good read for those who enjoy paranormal and action genres, but sensitive readers should be cautious due to explicit content and sensitive topics. Beautifully crafted, every word carefully chosen.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”