Official Review: Sequoia Chronicles by Jim Moll

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Official Review: Sequoia Chronicles by Jim Moll

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sequoia Chronicles" by Jim Moll.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mark Keating is a young journalist who had an abusive childhood. This book is centered on Mark's journal, one he wrote while hiding from those he had made an enemy of while he was at Running Deer Campground. After his college education, he got a job as a radio reporter with KBSC, a broadcasting station in Sequoia City, where he also provided stories for other stations. As a result of his anxiety, it was difficult for him to make friends or trust anyone. In Sequoia, though, he was able to meet lots of people and make friends. The closest to him were Emma, a girl he fell in love with, and Ed, a journalist for the Sequoia City Bulletin.

Meanwhile, Mark started writing a story about an Indian boy named Zia who was planning President Carter's assassination. He was also threatened several times when he started investigating some illegal activities in Sequoia City. The same could be said about his friend, Ed, who also tried to investigate a different illegal activity. What are these activities about? Who is trying to ensure that these activities aren't unraveled and why?

Sequoia Chronicles was a mix of education and fiction for me. Jim Moll showed how accomplished a reporter he was with his powers of description in this book. His descriptions left nothing to the imagination, and I mean that in a good way. Even though there were a few instances where he may have given a little too much information, his descriptive writing made the book more realistic and relatable. It was the biggest positive in this book for me. Mark's story was also written from a first-person perspective, which I think is the best way to approach a character-driven story.

In a way, Sequoia Chronicles was a collection of stories. Moll told the stories of different people and events and often dedicated whole chapters to them. Each of these chapters was also named after the people they were talking about. This was confusing at times as they seemed like detours from the main plot about Mark Keating. An example of this deviation was when he told a long tale about flying, which just amounted to him telling us why the presidential airplane was named Air Force One. But I liked that the author finally linked these stories to show the connections between them and Mark's journey.

Jim incorporated several detailed pieces of research into this book. These showed in his accounts of California's history, the history of the gold rush in California, the survey analyses of the Sequoia Lake, and more. I felt that these details could have been left out or toned down as they were more distracting than entertaining. As much as I appreciated Moll's aim to educate, I felt this level of detailing surrounding secondary elements took the focus off the main plot. I had to fight the urge to skim these parts whenever I encountered them. This was my biggest issue with this book as it caused the story to drag and not pique my interest until I had read about a quarter of the book.

I found only a couple of errors while reading. This proved that the book was professionally edited. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Due to the unnecessary amount of time given to elements that contributed nothing to the main plot, I can't give it a higher rating. Additionally, the book's educational slant, where it concerns some real historical events, means that it may bore a casual reader. However, it may keep the more complex reader interested. Consequently, I recommend this book to historical fiction readers who have an open-minded approach to non-conventional ways of writing fiction.

Sequoia Chronicles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Thank you for your review. I actually think I like the concept of mini-stories. Quite interesting. Maybe if it was spread out more it would have worked better?
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
GreatReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greatreviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by GreatReviews »

thanks for the analysis in your recomendation. I guess i would appreciate books written in complex tone for historical fiction novel. That's why new readers need to have read one-quarter of the book before enjoying it's content.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Fated Sky
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 55%

Post by NetMassimo »

The author made some peculiar choices with chapters focused on different characters and the educational element. I guess it's not a book for everyone. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

I am a historical fiction fan. I doubt the detours will bother me, so I will definitely try to get my hands on this novel.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

I'm not a lover of historical so I'll pass on this. Your review was well detailed. I loved reading this through it.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

Thanks for the review. The plot is interesting and captivating. I look forward to reading it.
Joshua Sawders
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshua-sawders.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Joshua Sawders »

This review provides insight into the book "Sequoia Chronicles" by Jim Moll. It is described as a mix of education and fiction, with strong descriptive writing and a character-driven story. The reviewer points out that while the book contains detailed research and historical references, it may be too distracting for casual readers. Therefore, it is recommended for historical fiction enthusiasts with an open-minded approach to unconventional writing. Overall, the review suggests that "Sequoia Chronicles" may be a good read for the right audience. Evocative descriptions, brought scenes to life.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”