Review of Circle of Innocents

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3094
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: All I Ever Wanted to Be Was An Ad Man by Anyhony Eglin

Review of Circle of Innocents

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Circle of Innocents" by Stephen D. Curtis.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Wayne Terry engages in horrifying, shameful actions and soon regrets them, leaving the reader perplexed. It is eventually revealed that he suffers from depression and personality disorders, which soon play a critical role in a scheme involving supernatural, invisible powers. Undoubtedly and unfortunately, one thing still haunts him: his past involving his mother and Monique, the only girl he had ever loved. Monique, a twenty-six-year-old student, moved in with them, with his mother claiming she was there to help cope with the absence of Wayne's father. Unbeknownst to him, there was more to it than met the eye. A domino effect is unleashed when Wayne overhears Joanne Middleton and her daughter Samantha laughing, triggering an unpleasant memory.
Cold and calculating, the entity continued to regard him with interest, for here was an unfortunate crying out for its assistance, a potentially useful tool in the quest to unhinge the Great Plan, a worm at a tipping point, and surely open to the right kind of persuasion.
- Circle of Innocents: It Must Remain Unbroken…
Circle of Innocents: It Must Remain Unbroken… is a suspenseful paranormal thriller by Stephen D. Curtis. The book introduces readers to a supernatural realm, pitting The Truth against The Puppeteer, a supervillain, and his followers, The Faithless. Wayne unwittingly crosses paths with individuals The Puppeteer is interested in. When Detective Chief Inspector Chris and his son Andy enter the scene, ‘The Circle’ begins to take shape. Chris’s mother, Anne, is also a key figure in the novel, among others. Harley, Joanne and Samantha’s German shepherd, also plays a significant role. Wayne’s use of his work pseudonym, Joshua Gains, alongside his real identity, adds to the suspense. Once Wayne makes a pact with The Puppeteer, there is no turning back, as failure promises unimaginable punishment. Fortunately, another powerful entity, Zambaya, is present to counterbalance The Puppeteer. Stephen D. Curtis meticulously develops each character, ensuring they play crucial roles in the narrative.

I enjoy novels that are as thought-provoking as they are entertaining, and this one exceeded my expectations on both fronts. The convergence of the two families and the ensuing interactions were difficult to foresee. Questions arise about Chris, Joanne, Samantha, and Andy, with potential romantic entanglements creating tension. The Puppeteer’s constant interference and unrelenting determination and the resulting harm add a layer of terror, as his appearances are unpredictable. The author also addresses pertinent issues, such as the decline of in-person conversations in public and private spaces, illustrated by a scene on a London-bound train where passengers are engrossed in their mobile phones. Here, the author remarks that the art of conversation was drawing its last breath, and I found this to be very true, as it does not happen in such public spaces alone but also at homes.

I particularly appreciated the ending, especially Wayne’s ending, as he is portrayed both as a victim and a perpetrator. This duality makes his conclusion satisfying, and I am eager for a sequel to see how The Puppeteer and his hordes continue their plan. Zambaya, Chris's guardian angel and part of The Truth, appears at crucial moments, providing reassurance. Without giving too much away, the ending will certainly please all readers. There was nothing I disliked about the book. Due to the unique narration and captivating plot, I rate the book five out of five stars. Circle of Innocents will appeal to avid readers of supernatural thrillers. However, it contains instances of sexual violence and strong language, which may not be suitable for all readers.

Circle of Innocents
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Asfa Ejaz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Asfa Ejaz »

The review praises "Circle of Innocents" for its suspenseful plot, complex characters, and thought-provoking themes. It highlights the seamless blend of entertainment and depth, with particular appreciation for the character development and societal commentary. The reviewer rates it five out of five stars and recommends it to fans of supernatural thrillers, noting its mature content.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”