Review of The Vasterbottensost Affair

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EBERE WRITES COCEPT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebere-writes-cocept.html
Latest Review: The Insignificant LIfe of Bert by Bertie Ball

Review of The Vasterbottensost Affair

Post by EBERE WRITES COCEPT »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Vasterbottensost Affair" by Robert Mucci.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Vasterbottensost Affair by Robert Mucci is a thrilling novel about a classified operation that went down and the fallout effects of that mission. The story follows the lives of Sondra Richardson, an employee of a federal government agency, and her brother, Spence Michael Richardson, a special forces soldier. Spence, who is the commander of a small unit of special forces operatives, is asked to go on a mission to get a package and make sure it's safe to transport to the United States. The mission is highly classified and on a need-to-know basis. Spence goes on this mission with his unit, which consists of Peter Roberto, Sean, and John Shinn. The mission does not turn out as expected, as the operatives come under attack while transporting the package. Unexpected things happen, and at the end of the day, it's the unexpected people that save the day.

The Vasterbottensost Affair is a very unique name for the book, as Vasterbottensost is the name of the cheese Peter gets while he is on this mission. What was just Swedish cheese ended up causing so much fuss and excitement that it was worth it. It's a military thriller where international politics and espionage are at play. American soldiers are captured by a foreign government, and the government sends a secret team to bring them back while publicly declaring they were released by the foreign government. We also see what the family of a serving officer goes through when they hear their relative is in captivity. The author takes the life of an ordinary woman and turns it into something exciting as she works to ensure that her brother comes back home.

My favorite character in this book is Muriel Leigh Marshall. For someone who did not really have many lines in the book, I would say she captured my attention just as she did for the head inquisitor and Spence. Her story was one I enjoyed reading, and the mystery surrounding her further made her the character I rate the most. Also, her bravery and smartness made her attractive.

The book had a lot of positives, and just one thing I felt made the reading experience not as perfect as I would have loved it to be. The transitions from one scene to the next in the book were, at times, not clearly defined. The book was not written in chapters, so I expected that when the author is taking the readers to a different scene, there should be enough space so that the reader does not just continue reading as if the next line is still part of that scene. 

I give the book a rating of 5 out of 5. The book gets an excellent rating in plot, character development, storyline, political intrigue, and mystery. Apart from the flaws pointed out earlier, every other thing about this book is just so interesting. Furthermore, the mentioned drawback does not detract from the book's rating. Additionally, I must commend the flawless editing of the book, as I did not detect any errors. It's a compelling read for those who enjoy action, mystery, and intrigue. Also, lovers of military fiction and international political novels will find this book enjoyable.

The Vasterbottensost Affair
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

The combination of political issues, mystery, and a kind of crime in the story would be an intriguing mix. The title alone is already captivating, and reading your words only adds to the excitement. Your review has made me even more eager to read this book. Thank you for writing it. What a great review!
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by NetMassimo »

Military fiction is not my favorite but in this novel there are ramifications with mystery and politics that make it suspenseful and interesting to me. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”