Review of Mayflies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Veronica Hunter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veronica-hunter.html
Latest Review: World Tour by Mike Sherer

Review of Mayflies

Post by Veronica Hunter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mayflies" by Pam Keevil.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Alice Tanner headed towards the river to retrieve the football for her student, but she discovered the skeletons of a woman and a child who are said to have been dead for decades. Landowner Luke Carlyle was informed about the gory event, and he had to visit the village and get things sorted to get the development back on track, but Ruby Allen had lost her grandmother to the cold hand of death after suffering from dementia. Luke met Ruby at her grandmother's burial, and this marks the beginning of their relationship. How will the Luke, Alice, and Ruby relationship unfold in this book filled with tapestries of emotions and intertwined relationships? Read Mayflies to find out more about this delicate journey.

Mayflies by Pam Keevil has the right dose of everything needed to make a book captivating, thrilling, and interesting. The book discusses the major extremes in life: money, love, and death. The book discusses the theme of a mother’s love for her child and how the death of one’s loved one can have a significant impact on the lives of those left behind: the longing to have them around, their memory, and all they left in the world. This is beautifully addressed in Ruby's yearning for her Gran to remember her at least one more day. It also discusses the pursuit of money and power and how it influences our decisions and judgments of other people and our situation.

I love how Pam gives a perfect awareness of time and place at the beginning of each chapter; it makes me, as a reader, feel like I am on a walk with the characters and events happening in the book. I also admire how perfectly the author captures the purpose and belief of each character, the way of life of the people in the village, and the unity and love they have to give; this is beautifully seen in how Lyn relates to people around her. Also, Ruby is giving up her dream and childhood desire to take care of her children, just as her grandmother has also taken care of her. I also love how the tiny details are well pointed out, like the friendship that begins to blossom between Alice and Ruby as well as each of their jealousies as the book progresses.

The author did a great job in character development, the description of events and places, the writing style, and examining important and thought-provoking issues. The author maintains the suspense in the book until the last word, and that adds to the thrill of the book.

I give the book a five out of five star rating because its editing is impeccable and it effectively conveys strong moral lessons, with nothing to dislike about it. I recommend this book to fans of the mystery and romance genres.

Mayflies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fantastic Voyage II
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by NetMassimo »

Romance is not my thing but the mystery seems interesting and well-developed in its various elements. The thought-provokng bits with moral lessons add strength to this novel. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1026
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’m glad that you enjoyed this book. There’s no telling how the bodies got there unless you’re a scientist. Romance isn’t really my favorite either so I’ll probably skip this one. Congratulations on BOTD!
Hamsapriya Krishnamurthy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 116%

Post by Hamsapriya Krishnamurthy »

Sounds like a book that I will be more interested to read. As per the review, I feel this book also has good amount of emotions expressed in characters especially of the motherhood. But how is the dead corpse related to the suspense in the story? That is something I would like to experience myself by reading it.
Mayuri Kotalawala
Currently Reading: The Spiritual Treasure Trove
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayuri-kotalawala.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Mayuri Kotalawala »

It also discusses the pursuit of money and power and how it influences our decisions and judgments of other people and our situation.
- Something we can all relate to, as it happens in real life too. An amazing review. Thank you.
Annabell Samuel
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annabell-samuel.html
Latest Review: Journey To The Heartland by Xiaolong Huang

Post by Annabell Samuel »

I see that this book builds upon the relationship between the main characters. However, I will love to know how the skeletons of the many-decade-old dead woman and child ties into the plot.
Nesh Anyiso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nesh-anyiso.html
Latest Review: Helpers Anonymous by Jeanne Tiberio

Post by Nesh Anyiso »

Events and situations connects us to fellow men. This is what, I think, is being featured in this story that is said to be, and I quote; "filled with tapestries of emotions and intertwined relationships." I will specifically read the book to follow through the author's writing style, which is well done, as per the reviewer. I would also want to see how the author connects readers and characters through vivid description of events and places revolving around each character. Congratulations on being the BOTD.
abderrahman El achari
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abderrahman-el-achari.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis
2024 Reading Goal: 33
2024 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by abderrahman El achari »

"Mayflies" by Pam Keevil, tells the story of Alice, Luke, Ruby and their tangled relationships. Good review :techie-studyingbrown:
my regards
Rebecca De Figueiredo
Favorite Book: Sent to Watch
Currently Reading: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-de-figueiredo.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Rebecca De Figueiredo »

This looks like a good read. I wonder what the story behind the skeleton is? Also, what a tangle of events and human emotion playing out in this compelling, intelligent and easy-to-read novel.
williams Emerald
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Cackling of the Crows
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-emerald.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by williams Emerald »

The evolving relationships between Luke, Alice, and Ruby are skillfully interwoven, creating a tapestry of human connection that is both compelling and heartwarming.
Tanya Jablonski-Smith
Currently Reading: Monument 14
Bookshelf Size: 14
2024 Reading Goal: 13
2024 Goal Completion: 15%

Post by Tanya Jablonski-Smith »

I love a good mystery and this one seems promising. It compelled me with the finding of a skeleton just out in the open like that. What? I'm super stoked to read this story. From what I gather from the review, it is easy to read and form bonds with the lovable characters. Thanks for posting this great review and making it available to download and read right away.
Julius Peters
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-peters.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Julius Peters »

Pam Keevil's 'Mayflies' offers a deeply moving exploration of love and loss, seamlessly blending mystery and romance. The rich character development and vivid depiction of village life make this novel a compelling and unforgettable read.
Amit Kumar Sharma 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 5%

Post by Amit Kumar Sharma 1 »

**Title:** Mayflies
**Author:** Pam Keevil

**Book Review:**

Pam Keevil’s "Mayflies" is an evocative exploration of human relationships, beautifully capturing the ephemeral yet impactful nature of connections that shape our lives. Set against the backdrop of a picturesque English village, Keevil weaves a narrative that is as delicate and fleeting as the mayfly itself, highlighting themes of love, loss, and the passage of time.

The story follows several interconnected characters, each grappling with their own personal struggles and desires. Keevil’s ability to create multi-dimensional characters is commendable; she delves deep into their psyches, revealing their vulnerabilities, hopes, and fears. The protagonist, Jess, is particularly compelling, navigating the complexities of a strained marriage while rediscovering her own identity. Her journey of self-discovery is both poignant and relatable, resonating with anyone who has ever felt lost in the midst of life's chaos.

Keevil’s prose is lyrical and vivid, painting the village and its surroundings with a richness that draws the reader into the setting. The natural beauty of the countryside serves as a stark contrast to the turbulent emotions of the characters, enhancing the overall atmosphere of the novel. Keevil’s attention to detail and her ability to evoke sensory experiences make the narrative come alive, allowing readers to almost feel the breeze and hear the rustle of leaves.

The structure of the novel is thoughtfully crafted, with alternating perspectives that offer a comprehensive view of the unfolding events. This technique not only adds depth to the story but also allows for a more intimate understanding of each character’s motivations and inner conflicts. Keevil’s skillful handling of multiple viewpoints ensures that the narrative remains cohesive and engaging throughout.

One of the standout elements of "Mayflies" is its exploration of time and memory. Keevil deftly portrays how fleeting moments can leave lasting impressions, much like the brief lifespan of a mayfly. The novel prompts readers to reflect on their own lives, the transient nature of happiness, and the importance of cherishing the present.

However, there are moments when the pacing feels a bit uneven, with certain subplots not receiving as much attention as they deserve. Additionally, some readers might find the ending somewhat predictable. Despite these minor shortcomings, Keevil’s storytelling prowess and her ability to evoke emotion make "Mayflies" a memorable read.

In conclusion, "Mayflies" is a beautifully written novel that offers a poignant exploration of human relationships and the passage of time. Pam Keevil’s lyrical prose and well-drawn characters create a deeply immersive reading experience that lingers long after the final page. This is a book that will resonate with anyone who appreciates the delicate intricacies of life and love.

**Rating:** ★★★★☆ (4/5)
Amit Kumar Sharma 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 5%

Post by Amit Kumar Sharma 1 »

"Mayflies" is a captivating novel by Pam Keevil, set in an English village. The story revolves around interconnected characters, each grappling with personal struggles. Keevil's lyrical prose and vivid imagery create an engaging atmosphere, focusing on time and memory, and highlighting the importance of cherishing the present.
Pranav Dewangan
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The Work of My Mother's Hands: A Caregiver's Journey by Dr. Kiplee Bell

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

The discovery of skeletons and the intertwining lives of Alice, Luke, and Ruby sound captivating. The themes of love, loss, and the pursuit of power are beautifully explored.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”