Review of Legacy of Lies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Merits Anih
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merits-anih.html
Latest Review: Preppers Medical Handbook by William W Forgey

Review of Legacy of Lies

Post by Merits Anih »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Legacy of Lies" by Ed Marohn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Blind nationalism and blind faith drive us into wars, fueling the destructive power of unchecked ambition and ideology. This toxic cocktail has led to some of the darkest moments in human history, and yet we continue to repeat the same mistakes.

John Moore, a soldier turned contracted CIA agent, embarked on a journey to Kenya with the aim of gathering intelligence about the Chinese Belt and Road initiative in Kenya. While on the mission, he encounters difficulty when a close friend of his is abducted per the directive of his government. Prior to the commencement of his mission, he stumbles upon two men in the hotel lounge: Liam de Polder and Alister Charleton, whose negligence on duty led to the deaths of the Kisii people who worked in the tea plantation of the Royal East Coffee & Tea Company. Among the workers who lost their lives were the parents of John's Kenyan partner, Michael Aho, who deemed it necessary to seek justice for his parents. These incidents uncover several other cases and lead to John reuniting with old friends, meeting new people, creating new relationships, and losing loved ones. Get a copy of Legacy of Lies: A John Moore Mystery by Ed Marohn to find out more.

One of the aspects I appreciated about the book was its thorough description of its various settings and the surrounding natural environment. I loved reading about the ritual of the Maasai people that ushers boys into manhood. I kept asking myself: Is being called a man worth such a risk? Is there no other way to prove that one is a man? 

The use of dates and time throughout the book helped to create a sense of clarity and structure, which I found helpful in following the story. I also enjoyed the suspense each page and each chapter elicited, as it made me eager to keep reading. This is a story of betrayal, where the past and present collide and the truth is waiting to be uncovered. Reading this book made me see that the influence the U.S. has in most countries is baffling, as I can't understand what they stand to benefit from deciding on Kenya's leadership or how organized the election should be. Why not let the country run its affairs? I must say, I really enjoyed the book, and I rate it 4 out of 5 stars.

I would have appreciated a pictorial representation of some of the weapons being mentioned. I had to look them up anyway because I was curious. I removed a star from my rating because the book contains some errors. Also, there is a plot hole in the book that needs to be fixed. While reading, it was not mentioned that Michael had a sibling, so how did he end up with a nephew? 

Reading this book made me experience emotions ranging from suspense, anger, fear, and reflection, and my eyes were opened to the dangers of blind nationalism, the power of propaganda, the impact of historical events on the present, and the struggle for identity. I recommend Legacy of Lies: A John Moore Mystery by Ed Marohn to lovers of political thrillers and mysteries as well as lovers of historical fiction. It is a book perfect for anyone who loves a good conspiracy theory or is fascinated by the inner workings of government and politics.

Legacy of Lies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fantastic Voyage II
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by NetMassimo »

A political thriller that has deep roots in issues that are far too real is certainly interesting and this one seems well developed with elements of mystery and historical fiction. I'm sure there's food for thought in this novel. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”