Review of The Next Great Discovery

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Lyons Den
Bookshelf Size: 782
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: The Mighty Esox by G. Edward Martin

Review of The Next Great Discovery

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Next Great Discovery" by Katherine Bennett.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Next Great Discovery: A Heartland to Hometown Mystery by Katherine Bennett is the first book in this crime thriller mystery series. The story begins with newspaper reporter Leni Spencer at the Barton County, Missouri, fairgrounds to get information on the Quilt Quild's fifty-third annual quilt raffle for the newspaper. While there, the newspaper editor calls her to inform her of a death on her uncle's farm, where the statewide yearly corn husking competition was to be held. Once at the farm, Leni finds out that her cousin, Tiger, is the victim of a brutal crime. Native American Detective Doug Joseph is the only detective at the Hawkinston Police Department, and he cautions Leni to be careful with her investigative reporting of the murder as she could be in danger. Leni is not too concerned until her best friend, Natalie, is murdered. Is there a connection between Tiger, Natalie, and the college? Who murdered them, and why?

Katherine Bennet's character development is fantastic with her descriptions of Native Americans, their artifacts, and the characters' unique personalities. It was interesting to learn how old grain (grist) mills were operated before electricity was invented. The information on the Nektosha band of the Pottawatomi tribe during the 1838 Trail of Death, the New Orleans Mardi Gras, and Hurricane Katrina kept me intrigued because they brought realism to the story. The story's plot was full of activities like fraud, murder, kidnapping, computer hacking, arson, etc., that kept the mystery evolving in different directions until the pieces began falling into place, and all was revealed at the end of the book. I enjoyed the life lessons that are interspersed throughout the book. One example is that it is never good to jump to conclusions.

I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars because of its positive aspects, my reading enjoyment, and the fact that I found nothing negative about this professionally edited book. I always enjoy reading books where I learn something new, especially about archeology and Native American culture, which I did in this book.

I recommend this book to mature Christian readers who enjoy mysteries and crime thrillers with historical or archeological themes. However, you should avoid it if you have no tolerance for non-borderline profanity or religion, as it contains both.

The Next Great Discovery
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fantastic Voyage II
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by NetMassimo »

This mystery seems intriguing and the Native American setting enriches the story. Even if usually historical fiction is not my thing, in this case he historical and archeological elements are an interesting part of this novel. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 95
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

Crime thriller is always filled with excitement and unexpected twists that's what makes me love it . This sounds exciting and adventurous. Detectives never seem to learn that this job puts them in the wrong with the wrong people but then again , it's what they signed up for. Well done on your review .
Be yourself and nothing less

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”