Review of The Garden Gnome

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: The Foundlings and Fisherman from Tumby by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Review of The Garden Gnome

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Garden Gnome" by Jay Atkinson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In Jay Atkinson's The Garden Gnome, readers are drawn into a realm where the eerie merges seamlessly with the mundane, creating an unsettling atmosphere. This narrative challenges us to reconsider our understanding of reality and the shadowy figures that haunt the annals of history and our memories.

The story delves into the enigmatic life of a figure known as "the gnome," or sometimes simply "Ugly," who stands as a human statue in the gardens of the Cowdry Estate. This narrative shifts between Ugly's harrowing past as an impoverished boy brought into servitude in the 19th century and the present day, where Elizabeth Gordon, a successful author and the estate’s new owner, grapples with his disturbing presence. Elizabeth's unsettling encounters with Ugly lead her to uncover the estate's dark secrets, linking her destiny to his. The novel explores themes of isolation, the supernatural, and the enduring scars of history, weaving a chilling tale of human existence and captivity.

Initially, the cover of this book drew me in. As a fan of horror and supernatural thrillers, it immediately resonated with me. The cover establishes a chilling atmosphere for the narrative. It showcases a vivid and haunting depiction of the gnome, whose intense and slightly menacing look deepens the sense of mystery and apprehension. The cover effectively hints at a tale brimming with suspense and hidden darkness. Kudos to the illustrator, Xuan Li, for capturing such a compelling and evocative image.

A significant strength of the narrative lies in its capacity to evoke deep emotional reactions from the reader, primarily through the harrowing and sorrowful background of the boy who eventually becomes the gnome. His early life was characterized by intense neglect and abuse. He endures extreme poverty, isolation, and a stark absence of care, which mold his initial experiences and profoundly influence his personality and future path. Nevertheless, once he assumes the role of the gnome, he gradually develops a bond with the estate's garden. This garden serves both as his captivity and a sanctuary of relative tranquility compared to the traumas of his earlier life. His tale becomes deeply entwined with the garden's mysterious aura, suggesting the presence of deeper supernatural forces that reflect the darkness within his own existence.

The book is rife with graphic descriptions and profanity, which may at times seem excessive to some readers, yet this style aptly reflects the brutal and uneducated setting of the story. While I don't criticize the author's stylistic choices, the text does suffer from numerous grammatical issues, including problems with verb tenses, spacing, punctuation, and spelling. These errors occasionally detracted from my engagement with the narrative the author has constructed. The content, while powerful, would benefit significantly from meticulous professional editing. Prospective readers should also be aware that the book addresses intense themes such as child violence, rape, molestation, murder, and prostitution, with scenes of mutilation described in vivid, graphic detail. Due to their sensitive nature, these elements may not be suitable for all audiences.

Having said all this, I rate The Garden Gnome 4 out of 5 stars and recommend it to readers who have a strong interest in horror and supernatural thrillers, especially those who appreciate dark and complex narratives. The book is ideal for those who can handle graphic content, including violence, gore, and mature themes. It's suited for adult readers who are not only fans of the horror genre but also those who appreciate stories that delve into psychological and supernatural depths, exploring the darker sides of human nature.

The Garden Gnome
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Somto Nwachukwu 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-somto-nwachukwu-1.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Somto Nwachukwu 1 »

I'm not that much of a horror fan, so the book may not intrigue me like it did the reviewer, but I love books that evoked emotional responses and since this is one, I may like it.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:

Somto Nwachukwu 1 wrote: 26 May 2024, 09:01 I'm not that much of a horror fan, so the book may not intrigue me like it did the reviewer, but I love books that evoked emotional responses and since this is one, I may like it.
I understand that the horror genre isn't for everyone, and this book might not be the best introduction for those new to horror—it's quite gory. However, I must admit that it elicited strong emotions from me and it's definitely going to leave a lasting impression. Thank you for your comment!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fantastic Voyage II
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by NetMassimo »

I read a lot of horror stories in my life, so I have no problems with gory descriptions. Some dark corners of humanity are more disturbing than supernatural horror. I hope the author does proper proofreading to prevent distractions while reading it. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kristin Cowan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Kristin Cowan »

This is such an interesting concept. Thank you for the review.
Ashley Price 3
Favorite Book: Home Body
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-price-3.html
Latest Review: Somawise by Luke Sniewski

Post by Ashley Price 3 »

Wow this book sounds very emotional and enjoyable. I love horror books and will might check this one out.
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 95
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

You know, I cannot stand horrific movies or anything scary even in my late 20s. Surprisingly thriller and horror in books really fascinates me. Clearly I prefer keeping it all between my imagination. Your absolutely right, the cover calls you. Which is what could have happened to me too had I been at the library . This is an amazing review and you make me want to get a hold of this particular piece. Well done.
Be yourself and nothing less
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:

NetMassimo wrote: 09 Jun 2024, 14:04 I read a lot of horror stories in my life, so I have no problems with gory descriptions. Some dark corners of humanity are more disturbing than supernatural horror. I hope the author does proper proofreading to prevent distractions while reading it. Thank you for your great review!
I completely agree that the darkest facets of humanity can often be more disturbing than supernatural horror. I'm happy you enjoyed the review!
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:

Kristin Cowan wrote: 09 Jun 2024, 19:03 This is such an interesting concept. Thank you for the review.
My pleasure.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:

Charmaine Mahlangu wrote: 09 Jun 2024, 23:43 You know, I cannot stand horrific movies or anything scary even in my late 20s. Surprisingly thriller and horror in books really fascinates me. Clearly I prefer keeping it all between my imagination. Your absolutely right, the cover calls you. Which is what could have happened to me too had I been at the library . This is an amazing review and you make me want to get a hold of this particular piece. Well done.
I can understand that! It’s interesting how our imaginations can handle thrillers and horrors in books differently than on screen. There's something uniquely engaging about letting our minds create suspenseful and scary scenes. I'm glad to hear you enjoy that aspect of reading!
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:

Ashley Price 3 wrote: 09 Jun 2024, 21:28 Wow this book sounds very emotional and enjoyable. I love horror books and will might check this one out.
I’m glad to hear that the book piques your interest! It definitely has a lot of emotional depth and is quite engaging. I hope you enjoy it if you decide to give it a read!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”