Review of Hoofprints in Saguaro Shadows

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: On the Precipice
Currently Reading: Tara's Journal
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
2024 Reading Goal: 200
2024 Goal Completion: 31%

Review of Hoofprints in Saguaro Shadows

Post by Mayang Bature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hoofprints in Saguaro Shadows" by Shay Taggert.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

THIS IS A RE-REVIEW

Rye Dalton, an independent ranch owner who inherited the Dalton Ranch from her parents, enjoys her job and has a genuine, friendly relationship with her employees. She was a student who stood out from the crowd and had an interest in cybersecurity. That piqued the interest of Mark Benson, a field agent, who later recruited her to the counterterrorism unit. Suspicious events began to occur around her ranch, and they only became worse. All of this, combined with her newly formed friendship with Alejandro Mendoza, Mexico's secretary of foreign affairs, tested her composure. The story of how she navigates all of this with her experience and the help of allies is told in this book, "Hoofprints in Saguaro Shadows: When It's Time to Take a Stand."

To be honest, the premise of this book was very appealing, and I expected to be drawn in. When I started reading, I noticed it was a narrative-style story told in the third person. However, unlike the first edition, this one was more personalized, giving the impression that Rye was the person who was narrating. This felt much more natural to me, making the entire story easier to follow. The use of pronouns this time made me feel like I was reading a person's thoughts rather than a newspaper article. This made the characters more relatable, and I enjoyed learning about their motivations as the story progressed.

Even though the story had a more embracing feel in this edition, I noticed that the book's narrative style was sometimes overly formal. Rye seemed to be addressing an audience as she told the story. This formal nature was also present in the dialogue, making all the characters have a similar voice without any distinction. Furthermore, the narrative frequently overexplained things, including obvious ones. These factors greatly reduced the thrill of the story for me.

Despite these criticisms, I found the images accompanying each chapter to be warm and accurate. They accurately described the auras of the characters in the story. I also liked how simple it was to follow the story because the plot was well-defined. One of the errors I noticed the first time was corrected, but the other two remained. I give Shay Taggert's "Hoofprints in Saguaro Shadows" 3 out of 5 stars. The more personalized writing style made the book more interesting to read, resulting in a higher rating than before. However, the formal style of the writing keeps it from rising any higher. Regardless, I can now recommend this book to anyone who enjoys crime and espionage fiction. If the drawbacks do not bother you, this would be a fantastic book.

Hoofprints in Saguaro Shadows
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
As long as there is a concept of victors, the vanquished will always exist.

~Uchiha M.
Anozie Stephanie
Currently Reading: Summer's Promise
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozie-stephanie.html
Latest Review: Creative Destruction by Alastair Bowman

Post by Anozie Stephanie »

I love Rye Dalton's passion for her work, it is one of the things that fueled various events in this book.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fantastic Voyage II
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a spy story with great potential hindered by some problems that can be solved with some more editing that improves style and dialogues. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”