Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DaoJones
Favorite Author: All of them
Favorite Book: Every book I ever read
Currently Reading: Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DaoJones »

I agree. It was very interesting. I liked the storyline. Have you read his latest translated book 'The Angel's Game'? It wasn't as great as the first one, but still readable.[/quote]

No I haven't even heard of it but I'm going to put it on my list. I just finished it about a week ago and I usually have 2 or 3 books lined up ready to go. So it'll be a while but I appreciate the heads up. I'm looking forward to reading another of his works.

It not being as great as the first is sort of like saying a $100,000,000 is better than $50,000,000. Maybe so but I'd still like the 50 million. Know what I mean? javascript:emoticon(':D')
saheed

Post by saheed »

I recently read a book called Distribution City, that was very good- a must read. only problem was it was only available for the kindle on amazon, if you got a kindle make sure to download this book!
elle82

Post by elle82 »

Dead Above Ground. Pretty good mystery/crime, set in the 1940s in New Orleans. If you've read this I'd love to discuss with you!
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I too loved "The Shadow Of The Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon and I enjoyed "The Angel's Game", I am inclined to agree with book_reader though "The Angel's Game" was maybe not as good but a most entertaining read nevertheless. I have no hesitation in recommending both books to anyone who enjoys a good thriller.
Breeze530

Post by Breeze530 »

DaoJones wrote:Here's one you might not have heard of. The Shadow Of The Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Has a little bit of everything plus some memorable and complex characters. One of the more interesting books I've read.
I'm reading that book right now. From page 1 I knew he is an exceptional writer & that I'm really gonna enjoy the book. I've read so many half-baked books lately that it is exciting to find one that grabs you right from the start like this.
DaoJones
Favorite Author: All of them
Favorite Book: Every book I ever read
Currently Reading: Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Post by DaoJones »

Breeze530 wrote:
DaoJones wrote:Here's one you might not have heard of. The Shadow Of The Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Has a little bit of everything plus some memorable and complex characters. One of the more interesting books I've read.
I'm reading that book right now. From page 1 I knew he is an exceptional writer & that I'm really gonna enjoy the book. I've read so many half-baked books lately that it is exciting to find one that grabs you right from the start like this.
What I wrote was sort of bland really because this is one of my favorite books ever. I'm 55 and have been reading since I was old enough to do so. Can't tell you how many books I've read but it's a lot. I put this one in the top 5, even with the fairy tale ending, which didn't spoil the story for me at all. Can't wait to read more by this author. And you're right it grabbed me right off the bat too.
Vlad Dracula

Post by Vlad Dracula »

It is interesting to read "The Real Life of Vlad Tepes (Dracula), 1431-1476". Here are revealed a lot of interesting details about the real life and deeds of the Walachian Prince!
Especially that these type of books are rare to find in english ! :!:

It is also reccomended to the passionates of East European history!
guytwo

Post by guytwo »

( both are nonfiction of course.)

I finished this book last week and I highly recommend it.
The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York by Deborah Blum

Last night I read this book which I also recommend. In Contempt by Christopher A. Darden, the O.J. Simpson prosecutor.

April 15, EDIT: Try this book if you like medical/mystery books: Dr. Mary’s Monkey: How the unsolved murder of a doctor, a secret laboratory in New Orleans and cancer-causing monkey viruses are linked to Lee Harvey Oswald, the JFK assassination and emerging global epidemics. by Edward T. Haslam

Long subtitle isn't it? I strongly recommend this book to any nonfiction (true) mystery lover.
Anonimuss

Post by Anonimuss »

In The Woods by Tana French was amazing. I'm reading her second book, The Likeness, now and it's shaping up to be even better.
hickeyadd

Post by hickeyadd »

i read tana french's two novels. have to agree with you. the first one is a wonderful book. i was dying to read the second but felt that it lacked something, while still being a very interesting (though farfetched plot).

Anyone have any strong feelings on john connolly's work? I love his mystery series featuring the detective bird parker. the novels are v dark, but there is something compelling about his writing style. im half way through the latest, the whisperers, and its as good as any of the others!
zinn

Post by zinn »

The Romanov Prophecy by Steve Berry! I'm only about halfway through but it is quite intruiging so far, and great if you are interested in history, especially Russian history :)
brothers

Post by brothers »

i would definitely recommend the book the girl with the dragon tatoo. im a teenager and the book was recommended to me by a 24 year old cousin who said i would enjoy the book very much, i didn't trust her but suprisingly i loved it!!!! it had a great mix of tension and suspense but i have to say the ending was great. i was not expecting it so it came as a shock but altogether it was a gripping and fantastic read. i am now going on to read the second book of the trilogy the girl who played with fire.
Fran

Post by Fran »

brothers wrote:i would definitely recommend the book the girl with the dragon tatoo. im a teenager and the book was recommended to me by a 24 year old cousin who said i would enjoy the book very much, i didn't trust her but suprisingly i loved it!!!! it had a great mix of tension and suspense but i have to say the ending was great. i was not expecting it so it came as a shock but altogether it was a gripping and fantastic read. i am now going on to read the second book of the trilogy the girl who played with fire.
Pleased to read your post as I just passed the first two books on to my niece & I was concerned they might not appeal to a teenager ... she is 19.
I currently well on the way with the third book 'The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest' and loving it
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Tapir

Post by Tapir »

Hi everyone! I'm new to this group, and am looking forward to learning about new names in crime stories to look out for. I enjoy most of Agatha Christie's books, but the ones with Tommy and Tuppence are not as interesting, I think. I enjoyed 'Death on the Nile', and the murderer in 'The End House' really freaked me out. I enjoyed the ending, the twist, to 'The Roger Acroyd' one too.

Her stories can seem deceptively simple, but I like the sparse dialogue. I also like the fact the her two most famous protagonists are usually underestimated by people. Nowadays with tv heroes like in the CSI series, 'The Mentalist', 'Bones' etc, the main characters are usually good looking, quite unlike Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple. I like the 'don't judge a book (!) by its cover element.

I am currently into Ian Rankin's books. His books are set in Scotland, and I'm reading a few books starring John Rebus.
Fran

Post by Fran »

Tapir wrote:Hi everyone! I'm new to this group, and am looking forward to learning about new names in crime stories to look out for. I enjoy most of Agatha Christie's books, but the ones with Tommy and Tuppence are not as interesting, I think. I enjoyed 'Death on the Nile', and the murderer in 'The End House' really freaked me out. I enjoyed the ending, the twist, to 'The Roger Acroyd' one too.

Her stories can seem deceptively simple, but I like the sparse dialogue. I also like the fact the her two most famous protagonists are usually underestimated by people. Nowadays with tv heroes like in the CSI series, 'The Mentalist', 'Bones' etc, the main characters are usually good looking, quite unlike Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple. I like the 'don't judge a book (!) by its cover element.

I am currently into Ian Rankin's books. His books are set in Scotland, and I'm reading a few books starring John Rebus.
Hercule Poirot not good looking ... I'm in shock - the best looking, sexiest little Belgina ever. :shock:

Almost finished 'Caught' my first Harlan Coben ... brilliant read - must get my hands on more of his books. Have you read any of his?

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”