Official Review: Devil Among Us by jack winnick

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Official Review: Devil Among Us by jack winnick

Post by Julie Petitbon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Devil Among Us" by jack winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick is an action-packed, suspenseful thriller. It is the second novel in the Lara and Uri Series but can be read as a stand-alone book. The story grips the reader from the first chapter when a bombing incident rips through a New York City Synagogue. Hundreds are killed and injured, and the FBI quickly arrives to investigate. FBI Special Agent Lara Edmomd, a member of the Joint Terrorist Task Force, and Uri Levin, a Mossad agent, happily work together again to unravel this terrorist plot. Initially, the investigation points toward some members of the synagogue. However, after following several leads to Texas, Lara and Uri suspect that Islamic terrorists entered the country and that the “Brooklyn bombing” might have larger, possibly global, implications.

As the mystery unfolds, more and more questions arise. Is this a giant plot to prevent the United States from aiding Israel? Why does Iran have a long-range missile aimed at Tel Aviv? Furthermore, how does this all relate to the New York synagogue bombing? Lara and Uri must connect the dots and figure out who is behind these sinister events.

One aspect of the story that I like is how the narrative shifts perspectives, providing an omniscient point of view and a dynamic, well-rounded narrative. Additionally, the changes in perspective, as well as the skillful integration of flashbacks, add to the character development. Even the minor characters have distinct personalities. This includes Yehudi Bar-lev, the teenager who enters the synagogue before the bombing reveling in his recent Bat Mitzvah, Hadley Parkinson, the no-nonsense, penny-pinching chief of police, President Seymour, the conflicted leader of the United States, and the myriad of anti-Semitic, hate-fueled terrorists. The characters and perspectives are varied, defined, and realistic.

I also appreciate the expertise of the author. Winnick’s knowledge of the Middle East and the geopolitical relationships between the United States and Middle Eastern countries is immense. His integration of and comparison to events that occurred during World War II denotes a vast knowledge of historical power struggles and prejudices throughout the world. This, in addition to his skill in story-telling, make for an engrossing read.

This is an intense international thriller, and the pace is appropriately fast. Bombings, violent fights, missile attacks, terrorist kidnappings, and more saturate this exciting story so much that I found it hard to put down. I love the main characters, Lara and Uri. They are a strong, smart, and funny team that works well together. They are so in tune with each other that they communicate without even speaking, and their chemistry is palpable. Their rekindling relationship is one of the highlights of the book and provides a bright spot in an otherwise dark and dangerous thriller.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is a well-written and well-paced thriller that I thoroughly enjoyed reading. It is professionally edited and contains minimal errors and only minor profanity. However, violent and graphic fight scenes make this book inappropriate for young readers. I recommend it to mature readers who appreciate page-turning, suspenseful intrigue.

Devil Among Us
View: on Bookshelves
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Like you stated in your review, I also appreciate the fact that the author has adequately developed the characters who play a smaller role in the book. Thanks for your engaging review!
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

Interesting review. You make the book sound very interesting. I'll definitely add it to my list.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree that the author displays an in-depth knowledge of the Middle East that he integrates into the story. I liked your description of the different perspectives used for telling the story. Great review! Thanks.
mosekim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mosekim »

Suspenseful intrigue can be one to look for. The book is what is it is according to the review. 4 out of 4 stars rating should definitely bring out to read. Thank you for the review
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Terrorism and threats, and bombings are not something that I can get into to read for fun. Great review though.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an action-packed suspensful political thriller full of mystery, terrorism, adventure, multiple POVs, and a captivating plot. The book is free on Kindle Unlimited and has an amazing OnlineBookClub review. I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars. Congrats @jwinnick1 on the BOTD.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

A well written, well paced enjoyable thriller written in different perspectives. This sounds like a great book. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Official_Sammie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-official-sammie.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Official_Sammie »

My love for action stories knows no bound. Terrorism, Federal agents, bombing stories sounds good to me. Makes me keep reading for hours.Nice Review.
Lui Vanderbilt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Lui Vanderbilt »

An international eye catching thriller book with details about various terrorism raids. I also loved the book cover. Excellent review
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

This is an intense international thriller indeed. An investigation into a bombing incident in NYC seems like one to learn from. Nice review.
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I have read and reviewed the first book and agree about your observations about the author's expertise in Middle Eastern affairs. I am sure I will enjoy this second book. Thanks for your review.
Kakai getrude
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kakai getrude »

Its an interesting review, everything about the investigation was done right and on point. Awesome review
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Fantastic Voyage II
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by NetMassimo »

I read the first Lara and Uri novel, so I'm not surprised that this sequel is regarded so high by the reviewer. In fact, I see that the author kept on using the great elements as his first novel.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

Your review is excellent, well-written, and expertly put together. You have included both your opinion and the summary of the book. Well done!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”